LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

49ers rank 4th in ESPN future rankings.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
From ESPN Insider: 1) GB 2) NE 3)NYG 4)SF ..... FYI NFC WEST: 21)Seahawks 24)Rams 26)Cardinals ... Bottom: 30)Jack 31)Minn 32)CLE

Roster: Right now the Niners' D is loaded with playmakers and they will stay elite because of their front seven, led by ILBs Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman. On offense, they are young and improving along the offensive line, but they will need to restock their skill positions in the next couple of years. There are enough difference-makers capable of several years more of production to keep them very competitive. -- Horton

Quarterback: Alex Smith had his best season in the league last year, but ranked just 22nd in QBR. Why? Well, Smith did his best work because he was so risk averse. He limited INTs, but often at the cost of holding onto the ball, taking a number of needless sacks. The jury is still out on him -- with the added weapons, if he's not better, San Fran must look for more, with Colin Kaepernick waiting in the wings. -- Dilfer

Draft: San Francisco is one of the better drafting teams in recent years. The roster looks strong at nearly every position group, and the fact that the 49ers are No. 4 in these rankings even with the limitations we've seen at QB is a testament to that. DE Aldon Smith(No. 7 pick, 2011) was a risk that paid off big. You like their chances because of solid young talent in a number of spots. -- Kiper

Front office: Trent Baalke is a very astute general manager, and while he has final say on all personnel matters, he lets Jim Harbaugh and the coaching staff have major input. In the past there were too many voices in the front office, but now the chain of command is more clear-cut and simplified. They identify their needs well and, while they prefer to build through the draft, they are not afraid to spend in free agency. When they do, the Niners are very responsible with how they spend their money, and veteran free agents love the positive and energetic coaching staff. -- Horton

Coaching: These guys are at the top of the NFL in terms of teaching staffs, as reflected by their college coaching backgrounds. They are outstanding technicians, they pay tremendous attention to detail and they are very innovative in their schemes on both sides of the ball. Although they haven't been together a long time there is tremendous loyalty to Harbaugh. They also have a nice blend of NFL coaching experience and young coaching enthusiasm. -- Horton
[ Edited by northvan49erman on May 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM ]
i just saw this on ESPN and wondered where they ranked us. i would have to agree with everything they said.
Horton jocks.
*waits for the usual suspects to come in and slam these experts/analysts for badmouthing Alex*

This ranking is spot on IMO. Its really nice that we finally have a coaching staff and general manager that fans can really get behind. Its been a long time. Its nice to see those two things getting good pub from national media as well.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on May 23, 2012 at 12:08 PM ]
Tom Brady is 34. In 2015 he will be 37. Will he be able to keep up the elite play?

I agree with GB and NYG as future juggernauts, but I think the Patriot's window is already closing and will be shut by the time 2015 rolls around.

I would replace NE with Detroit or Carolina. The barometer on both of those teams is pointed up.
Originally posted by northvan49erman:
From ESPN Insider: 1) GB 2) NE 3)NYG 4)SF ..... FYI NFC WEST: 21)Seahawks 24)Rams 26)Cardinals ... Bottom: 30)Jack 31)Minn 32)CLE

Roster: Right now the Niners' D is loaded with playmakers and they will stay elite because of their front seven, led by ILBs Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman. On offense, they are young and improving along the offensive line, but they will need to restock their skill positions in the next couple of years. There are enough difference-makers capable of several years more of production to keep them very competitive. -- Horton

Quarterback: Alex Smith had his best season in the league last year, but ranked just 22nd in QBR. Why? Well, Smith did his best work because he was so risk averse. He limited INTs, but often at the cost of holding onto the ball, taking a number of needless sacks. The jury is still out on him -- with the added weapons, if he's not better, San Fran must look for more, with Colin Kaepernick waiting in the wings. -- Dilfer

Draft: San Francisco is one of the better drafting teams in recent years. The roster looks strong at nearly every position group, and the fact that the 49ers are No. 4 in these rankings even with the limitations we've seen at QB is a testament to that. DE Aldon Smith(No. 7 pick, 2011) was a risk that paid off big. You like their chances because of solid young talent in a number of spots. -- Kiper

Front office: Trent Baalke is a very astute general manager, and while he has final say on all personnel matters, he lets Jim Harbaugh and the coaching staff have major input. In the past there were too many voices in the front office, but now the chain of command is more clear-cut and simplified. They identify their needs well and, while they prefer to build through the draft, they are not afraid to spend in free agency. When they do, the Niners are very responsible with how they spend their money, and veteran free agents love the positive and energetic coaching staff. -- Horton

Coaching: These guys are at the top of the NFL in terms of teaching staffs, as reflected by their college coaching backgrounds. They are outstanding technicians, they pay tremendous attention to detail and they are very innovative in their schemes on both sides of the ball. Although they haven't been together a long time there is tremendous loyalty to Harbaugh. They also have a nice blend of NFL coaching experience and young coaching enthusiasm. -- Horton

Notice a theme......

Alex Fan Boy, Trent Dilfer: "The jury is still out on him."
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Notice a theme......

Alex Fan Boy, Trent Dilfer: "The jury is still out on him."

1 good year vs 6 mediocre/bad years

it's true.
I think the Giants are overrated, I know they beat us but in a lot of ways we beat ourselves.

They also got every single lucky break known to man to get them another superbowl win. God is a Giants fan I swear.
Originally posted by BayArea:
I think the Giants are overrated, I know they beat us but in a lot of ways we beat ourselves.

They also got every single lucky break known to man to get them another superbowl win. God is a Giants fan I swear.

Overrated?

They have an elite QB, good offense, and great pass rush. Sounds like a legit team to me.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Overrated?

They have an elite QB, good offense, and great pass rush. Sounds like a legit team to me.

The Giants are overrated. They snuck into the playoffs and got hot at the right time and should have lost to us in the champions**t game. My money is on them not making the playoffs next year.

Walterfootball.com has the 49ers as the 14th best team going into 2012

walterfootball.com/nflpowerrankings.php
[ Edited by DirtyP on May 23, 2012 at 12:56 PM ]
Originally posted by DirtyP:

ootball.com/nflpowerrankings.php

Walter is a f**kin moron

ootball.com/nflpowerrankings.php

Seriuosly one of the craziest lists I've ever seen.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Walter is a f**kin moron

Indeed he is

walterfootball.com/nflpowerrankings.php

His rankings are full of stupid assumptions. The list is trash btw.
Share 49ersWebzone