There are 116 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

THANK YOU BASED GOD(Andy Lee extension, get on the loveboat)

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Worth every penny. And one player less to worry about come offseason 2013.

Now the team will need to decide whether they want to extend Sopoaga and Goldson in the coming months. Would be nice, if we feel they are long term players, to get Sopoaga and Goldson also extended, and only really have to worry about Bowman and J.Smith on Defense, and Iupati on offense. Whitner and Akers should be extended when time comes.

if we win a SB

some may retire
Originally posted by BayArea:
Normally I would say who cares he is just a punter, but he is easily one of the most important players on the team. He is the reason we consistently won the field position battle and constantly gave offenses long fields no matter where he punted from. I probably just missed it but has this guy ever had a bad punt? Seems like everything he ever touched ended up inside the 20 if not the 10.

He seems to be as perfect as you can get for a Punter. Maybe 1 or 2 in his career, he has been so damn consistent over his career, since 2004. I remember Pittsburgh signed him to a 6yr tender RFA offer, glad we matched, and now he is 29, so his deal will take him to around age 34 or 35, and I bet he will go that long at a high rate, as has Akers, who I want to be kept till he retires.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Worth every penny. And one player less to worry about come offseason 2013.

Now the team will need to decide whether they want to extend Sopoaga and Goldson in the coming months. Would be nice, if we feel they are long term players, to get Sopoaga and Goldson also extended, and only really have to worry about Bowman and J.Smith on Defense, and Iupati on offense. Whitner and Akers should be extended when time comes.

if we win a SB

some may retire

Of all the players on our team I think the 2 who deserve it most to win a SB are Justin Smith and Frank Gore. Justin is a hard worker, high motor and never gives up, see Philly game with forced fumble. And Gore has had a great career in SF, and he was considered a reach in the 3rd round, now people are looking stupid for passing on him.

I think Akers will stay on for as long as he can go, I hope we are able to covince him to stay till he retires.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by BayArea:
Normally I would say who cares he is just a punter, but he is easily one of the most important players on the team. He is the reason we consistently won the field position battle and constantly gave offenses long fields no matter where he punted from. I probably just missed it but has this guy ever had a bad punt? Seems like everything he ever touched ended up inside the 20 if not the 10.

He seems to be as perfect as you can get for a Punter. Maybe 1 or 2 in his career, he has been so damn consistent over his career, since 2004. I remember Pittsburgh signed him to a 6yr tender RFA offer, glad we matched, and now he is 29, so his deal will take him to around age 34 or 35, and I bet he will go that long at a high rate, as has Akers, who I want to be kept till he retires.

Andy has got me spoiled. i get a little upset at him if he punts it between the 10 - 5 yard lines and not on the goal line.
Sus and Joe C, this is probably one of the few times I have disagreed with either of you. $4 mil is a lot for a punter but consider:

1/3 of the 49ers is O, 1/3 is D and 1/3 is STs and we had the best ST in the league. Okay, STs include KOs, PRs, punts, and KO returns. Andy is responsible for half of our ST punts, which paired with Ginns returns, gave us the best record of yards gained in punt exchanges in the league. Whether he is responsible for 1/2 of ST or somewhat less, to have the guy who can :

give you the 60+ yarder when we are pinned back near our end zone, or

give you a 25 yd difference in punt exchanges, or

drop a punt from way out between the 5 and 10 yd line....

well, he may be just one guy, but he personally sure accounts for a lot of yards in punt exchanges for us, making us best in the league, and he also is famous for dropping a rainmaker inside the 5-10 yd line, pinning the opponent way back ...and changes the O that they have to use.

I certainly understand your reticence in not paying him that kind of $$, but have you ever seen anyone do that kind of thing before...on a routine basis? Nah, i haven't either. He's worth every penny.

Coach Walsh won 3 SBs and never drafted anybody for STs. Regular players did the KOs, PRs. Had he paid as much attn to STs as coaches do now, particularly Coach Harbaugh, many of us think we would have won even more SBs. Today if your STs aren't top flite, you are giving away 1/3 of the game to start with. And that is exactly what STs did for us last yr. We beat up on most teams with our STs, and consequently had significant yardage gained in punt exchanges. That 13-3 wouldn't have been that good without the league's best Punter.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 23, 2012 at 1:49 PM ]
Originally posted by HessianDud:


huge part of our success last year. he is a difference maker, a rare weapon, and he's going to help make us very, very tough to beat for years to come.

love this front office.

Agreed. A punter like Lee helps out the defense, who in turn, give the offense great field position. He's worth every penny.
Andy Lee
[ Edited by 9erguy on May 23, 2012 at 2:28 PM ]
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 16,911
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Sus and Joe C, this is probably one of the few times I have disagreed with either of you.

It ain't easy to be agreeing with most of the nonsense these guys say.
You know what would make a ton of sense is to extend Justin Smith, he has high base salaries in 2012 and 2013, over 5M each, and we could extend him and lower those, which would help to extend Bowman before end of 2013 season when he is a UFA.

As of now we need to worry about 3 FAs to be after 2012. Delanie Walker, Isaac Sopoaga and Ricky Jean Francois, plus whatever happens with Dashon Goldson this offseason. After 2013 we need to worry about NaVorro Bowman, Justin Smith, Donte Whitner and David Akers, and after that Mike Iupati and Anthony Davis.

Of course at some point we need to decide whether to extend Aldon Smith or just pay him top 10 OLB money in 2015 when he would be extended for his 5th yr option.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Andy has got me spoiled. i get a little upset at him if he punts it between the 10 - 5 yard lines and not on the goal line.

Yeah, I remember the guys who averaged 38-40ish and there is a big difference. Hopefully he is still going strong after 2018.... might even get one more contract.

As for David Akers he has 2 years left. He will be 39 after his contract is up. After that we might even go a year or two more until he retires. As long as we want him I don't see him going anywhere else because I know he loves it here.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on May 23, 2012 at 2:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Andy has got me spoiled. i get a little upset at him if he punts it between the 10 - 5 yard lines and not on the goal line.

Yeah, I remember the guys who averaged 38-40ish and there is a big difference. Hopefully he is still going strong after 2018.... might even get one more contract.

As for David Akers he has 2 years left. He will be 39 after his contract is up. After that we might even go a year or two more until he retires. As long as we want him I don't see him going anywhere else because I know he loves it here.

I can totally see that happening with Lee. He had his 6th round rookie deal, then RFA offer sheet, now this 6yr extension in 4M yr range, then after 2018 I can see him signed thru whatever is best. That would be 4 deals, and worth it if he keeps punting this way.
ANDY LEE IS THE BEST PUNTER IN THE NFL !!!!
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
You know what would make a ton of sense is to extend Justin Smith, he has high base salaries in 2012 and 2013, over 5M each, and we could extend him and lower those, which would help to extend Bowman before end of 2013 season when he is a UFA.

As of now we need to worry about 3 FAs to be after 2012. Delanie Walker, Isaac Sopoaga and Ricky Jean Francois, plus whatever happens with Dashon Goldson this offseason. After 2013 we need to worry about NaVorro Bowman, Justin Smith, Donte Whitner and David Akers, and after that Mike Iupati and Anthony Davis.

Of course at some point we need to decide whether to extend Aldon Smith or just pay him top 10 OLB money in 2015 when he would be extended for his 5th yr option.

Sounds good to me. Lock up our front 7 for the foreseeable future!
greatest punter of all time. ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4 million a year for a guy plays like 5-10 snaps a game. Dumb move by Baalke, could have gotten a punter for league minimum and paid a real player.



I should be GM