LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 440 users in the forums

No. 5: Vernon Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Different teams, different schemes, different quarterbacks. Can any of these tight ends mentioned block on Vernon's level? Doubt it. Can they match his speed. No way. If you pass 40, 50, 60 times a game your tight end will get more looks. All these former small forwards can have the stats, I'll take the rings.
Originally posted by BOOSKi707:
Rank him whatever they want. He is better than any of them

I concur
Don't really care about the ranking. He's a great TE who came up huge in the playoffs and now will have a lot more help. Can't wait to see how he performs this coming season......
I know one thing for sure, he aint no Eric Johson.....

Take the flip side.....if gronkowski or graham were on the niners, I don't think they would do nearly as well as vd. They might approach the tds bc they are so tall they can go up and get it in the red zone but they are slower and could not separate enough for Alex smith to feel they were open.

Vd is the best overall te in the league and we have him
redzone wise, the best tightends are gronk and graham. those dudes are ballers. but the best all around (blocking, YACS, recieving) is vernon davis hands down. theres no tightend as strong OR as fast. but he doesnt pick the ball out the air like the previous two. Its difficult to rank vernon. Its like asking where would you rank darren sproles as a RB.
His assessment is pure bs, all of the players ranked ahead of Vernon have 3 key things Vernon hasn't had thus far in his career: pro bowl caliber qb, pro bowl caliber wrs, and coaching consistency. He has most of those things in place this season, the only wild card being the qb and I think Alex will show up and show out this season. I think Vernon is the #1 tight end because he puts up good numbers and he is the best blocker out of all of those who were named.
lol im on my comp now let me rephrase that

i think he was going by last years stats which in where he was asked to block for majority of the time in the first 10 games due to lack of knowledge of the playbook
It took most of thhe season BUT he & ASmith hooked up well in the playoffs.

This year we'll have more than Vernon to catch passes and a better Oline to protect our QB.

Let's get real. Crabs disappearance in the playoffs had ZERO to do w/Alex and everthing to do w/his inability to get speration in SINGLE coverage.

This year, everyone's stats improve.
I wouldn't put Hernandez in front of him but the other 4 I could see folks ranking them in front of VD. Nothing wrong with Clayton's assessment.

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
lol im on my comp now let me rephrase that

i think he was going by last years stats which in where he was asked to block for majority of the time in the first 10 games due to lack of knowledge of the playbook

I had to used my Buzz sense to understand what you were trying to say. Nice to know I still have it.
Hernandez does not come close to Davis.

I'd only put Witten and Graham ahead of him. Gronk only blew up just last year. Let's see if he can do it again and he's in the conversation.

To be honest though, I wouldn't want any of those TE's above Davis. He's the one I'd most like to have on the team, because he can still get even better.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I'd say he's 3 or 4. Behind Gronk, Graham, and maybe Antonio Gates if he's healthy. He's better than Witten and Hernandez though.

this
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Hernandez does not come close to Davis.

I'd only put Witten and Graham ahead of him. Gronk only blew up just last year. Let's see if he can do it again and he's in the conversation.

To be honest though, I wouldn't want any of those TE's above Davis. He's the one I'd most like to have on the team, because he can still get even better.

true

however graham and gronk have much better hands than VD while being athlethic as well

however neither come close to VD in terms of speed if he just works on being more fluid with his hands he will be almost unstoppable
WTF?

I'm sorry...VD is ranked behinf BOTH NE TEs?

Yeah...Clayton is nuts.
Share 49ersWebzone