There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tight Ends better or middle of field safer?

We now have empty backfields with the QB in shotgun formation. If a corner or safety tries to jam a tight end at the line of scrimmage he'll be knocked backwards. If given some room the TE is gifted a 5 to 10 yard reception. And then you have the explosive TE who can go deep. What's a defensive coordinator to do? Some thirty years ago the word came down from a higher authority (the networks) that the games were becoming boring with little scoring. So the NFL in their great wisdom ($$$$) put shackles on the defense and that is the current product we have now. People that know very little about football think a 48-45 game that goes into overtime is what the football fan wants. Wilt Chamberlain once had a workout at TE with the KC Chiefs, an opposing coach was asked how he would defend him, his answer, we would cut him in half and there would be two 3'5" receivers. Meaning they would hit him, something that can't be done today because of lawsuits and rules.
Now that we got the thread back from the jokers that tried to hijack...

It's sad that they had to get a TE with speed to the outside for those catches. Hopefully with some speed to the wide receivers, those safeties have to worry about the running game, VD, and the receivers to the outside. Triple threat. You know who's going to benefit... I think it's the all purpose guys like Crabtree.
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by susweel:
QB has a noodle arm and can't the ball outside the numbers.

this

can't write the words inside the grammar
its the rules changes that protect defenseless receivers.there have aways been good TE. they just are not getting blow up over the middle anymore.
[ Edited by dlance on May 20, 2012 at 9:38 PM ]
Left Tackle and Wide Receiver are two of the highest paid positions in the NFL.

Tight End is one of the lowest positions in the NFL.

But a good TE, like Vernon, essentially plays BOTH LT and WR depending on the play/match up. This is just the way I think about it, and maybe isn't what GMs are thinking. But if I were running a team, I'd definitely want to have at least 2 really good TEs. With two good TEs you can make up for bad OLine play and bad WR play. And spend very little doing it.

To me, TEs are the best value position in sports.
Originally posted by susweel:
QB has a noodle arm and can't the ball outside the numbers.

What the hell does "can't the ball outside the numbers" mean?
I think he was inferring a qb like Alex can't throw the ball outside the numbers due to lack of arm strength but Alex did it twice in the giants game good for Alex. Now that we have two good Wrs that can run faster than a 4.55 (not including k Williams, ginn and Jenkins yet) Alex will improve by about 10-12 tds. Watch his numbers go to about 28-30 tds and maybe 12 ints and a ring
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Left Tackle and Wide Receiver are two of the highest paid positions in the NFL.

Tight End is one of the lowest positions in the NFL.

But a good TE, like Vernon, essentially plays BOTH LT and WR depending on the play/match up. This is just the way I think about it, and maybe isn't what GMs are thinking. But if I were running a team, I'd definitely want to have at least 2 really good TEs. With two good TEs you can make up for bad OLine play and bad WR play. And spend very little doing it.

To me, TEs are the best value position in sports.

I think the 2008-2011 49ers are a great example of the contrary.
[ Edited by DirtyP on May 22, 2012 at 4:43 PM ]