There are 171 users in the forums

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Originally posted by Youngb:
Two years ago he didn't play well, last year he played really well. Even many people in this same forum were saying to get rid of him before last season. Give him another year and see which Dashon shows up. No reason to drop 6-8 mil on a Safety when not being 100 percent sure he's worth the money.

Yeah cuz 20-30 million dollar gambles arent common.....

problem is, he's not looking for a $20 million gamble. It's more like 40.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
When does DG have to officially report to camp/practice?
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Originally posted by Youngb:
Two years ago he didn't play well, last year he played really well. Even many people in this same forum were saying to get rid of him before last season. Give him another year and see which Dashon shows up. No reason to drop 6-8 mil on a Safety when not being 100 percent sure he's worth the money.

Yeah cuz 20-30 million dollar gambles arent common.....

problem is, he's not looking for a $20 million gamble. It's more like 40.

Ohhhh, well thats a totally different situation....hahaha
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

He doesn't, because he's not under contract.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Correct, I believe he can sign the 1 year deal any time he wants from now all the way into the season. Not sure if there is a deadline when he has to sign it by. Aubrayo Franklin a few years back waited until August 28 (a few weeks into pre season). I believe he felt the longer he waited the less chance there was of him getting hurt in training camp or the pre season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5507622

Maybe AB could help us but Goldson doesn't have to sign it at all and until he signs it he doesn't have to report to camp. He could hold out into the season as well forcing us to trade him. Wouldn't make sense otherwise because we can't negotiate with him until after our last game of the season (Dec 30). It would mean he loses out on more money than he's made his previous 5 years in the league and also risking teams signing him after being out a year. So odds are he doesn't hold out, doesn't do him much good... it's just a matter of is he bitter and wanting to hold out of training camp to stiff us sort of speak. If he's smart he gets in asap because the better he plays this year the more he makes and although he will probably be in the right physical shape (he's been working out on his own) he needs to meet up with the defense and coaches and catch up mentally.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Correct, I believe he can sign the 1 year deal any time he wants from now all the way into the season. Not sure if there is a deadline when he has to sign it by. Aubrayo Franklin a few years back waited until August 28 (a few weeks into pre season). I believe he felt the longer he waited the less chance there was of him getting hurt in training camp or the pre season.

Maybe AB could help us but Goldson doesn't have to sign it at all and until he signs it he doesn't have to report to camp. He could hold out into the season as well forcing us to trade him. Wouldn't make sense otherwise because we can't negotiate with him until after our last game of the season (Dec 30). It would mean he loses out on more money than he's made his previous 5 years in the league and also risking teams signing him after being out a year. So odds are he doesn't hold out, doesn't do him much good... it's just a matter of is he bitter and wanting to hold out of training camp to stiff us sort of speak. If he's smart he gets in asap because the better he plays this year the more he makes and although he will probably be in the right physical shape (he's been working out on his own) he needs to meet up with the defense and coaches and catch up mentally.

Holding out is stupid. Your chances of getting injured go up drastically if you dont participate in camp........
Holding out is stupid. Your chances of getting injured go up drastically if you dont participate in camp........

Well, I would agree if he wasn't working out on his own. If he was sitting on the coach eating than yes but Whitner and others have talked to him and he is working out on his own and at a few performance places.
Can't remember what the deadline is, but if Goldson is looking to hold out for long? The Niners can opt to just yank the 1 year tag back and Goldson would just go into FA. There is no more leverage to be had for Dashon. His only bet is to sign, practice to be the best FS he can be in 2012, and then elevate his value even more. Holding out would be counter-productive to that end.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

He can hold out till after our tenth game technically, our so I believe

Originally posted by WINiner:
He can hold out till after our tenth game technically, our so I believe

Thanks for clearing that up. So after that he is a free agent again and the 1 year tag is taken off him? I would think it goes back to us still owning the rights to him and we could tag him.
So what is the point of him not signing it? If they can no longer sign him to a long term contract then what is he holding out for? Just to screw them over or something?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BayArea:
So what is the point of him not signing it? If they can no longer sign him to a long term contract then what is he holding out for? Just to screw them over or something?

exactly. They disrespected him by not signing him, now it's payback time.
Originally posted by BayArea:

I don't think he will hold out because he will make more this year than the previous 5 years. And making only 4.x mil in 5 years for a big spender like Goldson isn't enough. Plus who would sign him next year after not playing a year... it would hurt his value. Remember, training camp's 1st practice is later this week so it hasn't even started. As for "sticking it to us" he might be just saying I'll sign but I'll stick it to you and sign at the end of camp or the end of pre season. He might make us sweat a bit. That being said Whitner and others said he is working out on his own so it's not like he is sitting on the coach and getting fat. He will come physically ready it's just that he will have to catch up mentally on what we did this off season.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 23, 2012 at 3:32 PM ]

If we only knew how the discussions went............ it may or may not hurt him if he holds out, history says otherwise. To hold out now though seems counterproductive, he'll hurt the team short term, but the team may find someone to adequately fill this void and ends up hurting him long term. Don't think that the defense as a whole didn't have anything to do with his success last season.
Share 49ersWebzone