LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 408 users in the forums

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

I think he'll get a deal in the neighborhood of 5yr/$33-35M. He's better than Branch and Griffin and they got paid. Dashon will get $7M/yr in free agency.

He has lapses in coverage at times, but I love watching him blow people up. He's becoming one of the top ballhawks at the position and he's already one of the hardest hitters. For what he lacks in coverage, he more than makes up for it in run support.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by d_rohr:
Goldson is the definition of a 'game-changer.' Sadly, its not always positive. He makes great plays but his reads are sometimes head scratching. His tackling is not always spot on & his coverage is average at best. I think is easily a top 15 safety with potential to rise higher. With that being said, he is no Eric Weddle. To be honest, I don't even view Goldson as a FS. He reminds me a SS with the way he plays. I'm not saying Goldson is a liability in coverage...what I am saying is having Whitner AND Goldson as our safety net is a liability. Both have issues in coverage & that is what really scares. I think SF is able to get away with it since there is so much pressure from the front seven & our corners can stick with their men, for the most part.

I like Goldson, I like him a lot. However, top money? I just don't see it...
Think i agree with you on this with his style of play

I completely agree with both of you
Originally posted by 4everfaithful24:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Goldson is the definition of a 'game-changer.' Sadly, its not always positive. He makes great plays but his reads are sometimes head scratching. His tackling is not always spot on & his coverage is average at best. I think is easily a top 15 safety with potential to rise higher. With that being said, he is no Eric Weddle. To be honest, I don't even view Goldson as a FS. He reminds me a SS with the way he plays. I'm not saying Goldson is a liability in coverage...what I am saying is having Whitner AND Goldson as our safety net is a liability. Both have issues in coverage & that is what really scares. I think SF is able to get away with it since there is so much pressure from the front seven & our corners can stick with their men, for the most part.

Think i agree with you on this with his style of play

I completely agree with both of you

Totally.
He held out last year, kind of.

Will get paid.

Deal Done.
Cost of Gouging Index.

Every Safety in the league today wants more money than Ronnie Lott.

Go figure.

#PAYDAMAN *deion sanders voice
Originally posted by 9erred:
The Niners actions speak louder than any poster on the WEb zone. No formal offer has even been made to Goldson. The Niners are all too happy to only pay him 6.9 million for one season.
I think this is a good business move. The NFL is cold.

Which is fine by me. I'd prefer Bowman get the next big payday over Goldson any day of the week.
Ronnie Lott should be awarded half the salary of every 49er safety for the rest of time.

The rest are followers.

Originally posted by SFrush:
Which is fine by me. I'd prefer Bowman get the next big payday over Goldson any day of the week.

Couldn't agree more.
Originally posted by WeAreLegend:
Ronnie Lott should be awarded half the salary of every 49er safety for the rest of time.

The rest are followers.

+1

Looks like he's going to be playing under the tag this year. I hope I'm wrong
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by toeshawn:
Sign him

Gold,son

The Niners actions speak louder than any poster on the WEb zone. No formal offer has even been made to Goldson. The Niners are all too happy to only pay him 6.9 million for one season.
I think this is a good business move. The NFL is cold.

I agree with you 100%. I think its a great business move and I also think he's not worth the money he's asking. He's good but NOT elite and the FO seems to agree.

well said, well said
having Goldson and Whitner as our safety net is a liability?

Jesus Christ I swear some forget how our secondary was when it was Mark Roman paired with Micheal Lewis or Keith Lewis...or Goldson paired Micheal Lewis...... or Whitner paired Reggie Smith.

how many times have we been beaten in coverage for big plays or over the top with both Goldson and Whitner starting, enough for you to say they are a liability? How many times has Goldson been beat over the top? (heck I remember getting an INT in the endzone on a deep pass)

the one time where he got beat "deep" was when he was in perfect position to get an INT and Larry Fitzgerald (mind you one of the two best jump up and get it receivers) kneed him on the side and just snatched it from Goldson....an amazing play by Fitzgerald.

should Goldson have knocked that down? Our defensive mentality is to get turnovers, especially with our unassertive offense...and we have done a great job getting turnovers, including Goldson...he saw an opportunity, but Fitzgerald is just THAT GOOD.

but again, even that play was not getting beat over the top. There are way more insistence where Goldson and Whitner have made plays in coverage, compared to plays where they gave up big plays...to where you would want to consider them a liability.... Micheal Lewis, Keith Lewis, Mark Roman, Reggie Smith...they were liablities. On third downs, teams used to always go after Micheal Lewis to complete something.

There is a reason why our defense played great as a team last year....there were not many players on the field that were a liability...in previous years that was the case.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Jul 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM ]
were gonna draft a safety and a WR early next yer i think. goldson wants a lot of money and he may want to leave after being franchised this year but atleast he'll play under the tag he said so we have nothing to wory about. playing under the tag essentially makes this another contract year for him so i think he'll have a nother beast year like last year. lets get ring number 6 this year so everyone wants to stay
Share 49ersWebzone