There are 223 users in the forums

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Make Dashon Goldson the highest paid safety in the league?

Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
No way do I want to risk losing Bowman in the future to pay this guy 8 million a year. Solid saftey but far from the best in the league, thus he should not be paid as the best in the league.

We may have to keep franchising Bowman when his contract expires, unless we can find a way to extend his deal soon.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Rather pay Bowman, Goldson is a product of the people around him.
Titans signed franchise player FS Michael Griffin to a long-term extension.

According to Profootballtalk, the deal is worth roughly $7 million per over five years. Griffin ranks fourth among safeties with 17 interceptions over the past five years. For his efforts he's been twice selected to the Pro Bowl (2008, 2010). Griffin has played all 80 games, including 73 starts, since the Titans selected him with the 19th pick in the 2007 draft. He was due to earn $6.2 million under the franchise tag.

Rotoworld.com

Hmmm....
Originally posted by Chief:
Rather pay Bowman, Goldson is a product of the people around him.

this
he isnt better than griffin

but will certainly demand more
Originally posted by lamontb:
Don't be surprised is Bowman wants Willis type money b/c he knows and we all know he can get that on the free market if his play remains at such a high level.

He probably deserves it or maybe a BIT less only because Willis is kinda the best to ever play the position. Bowman deserves a massive long term contract for sure. Dashon Goldson is replaceable and the 49ers know that. The only person who doesn't seem to know that is Goldson himself.
If Goldson is so replaceable, would you please enlighten those of us who disagree with who you're going to replace him with? There is no guarantee that we'll be in a position to draft an instant star or land a top FA since we couldn't keep our own. I honestly don't understand. We suffered from poor safetly play for a long time waiting for this kid to develop and now that he has you wan't to replace him with an unknown? Some undervalue Goldson on here. He is every bit the play Griffin is. My brother is a huge Titans fan so I get to watch every Titans game.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
If Goldson is so replaceable, would you please enlighten those of us who disagree with who you're going to replace him with? There is no guarantee that we'll be in a position to draft an instant star or land a top FA since we couldn't keep our own. I honestly don't understand. We suffered from poor safetly play for a long time waiting for this kid to develop and now that he has you wan't to replace him with an unknown? Some undervalue Goldson on here. He is every bit the play Griffin is. My brother is a huge Titans fan so I get to watch every Titans game.

Well, if he is irreplaceable why didn't he get any offers from other teams and why were the 49ers so quick to tag him instead of lock him up? I am basing this off of watching him play and quite frankly not being impressed. I don't know who would replace him but I am sure the front office could figure it out.
Goldson might be replaceable, but we are set to make a Superbowl run now. Throwing a rookie or unproven player back there at this point could be the differene between the 31st and the 32nd pick in the draft....
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by NinerG94:

Well, if he is irreplaceable why didn't he get any offers from other teams and why were the 49ers so quick to tag him instead of lock him up? I am basing this off of watching him play and quite frankly not being impressed. I don't know who would replace him but I am sure the front office could figure it out.

49ers gave him the Franchise tag so no other team could get a chance to make him an offer. Yes I agree Goldson looks great in our defense due to the fact our front 7 are amazing. I do still think he is the best player in our secondary. He made some big time plays last year. People seem to undervalue him way too much

Originally posted by hateroids84:
49ers gave him the Franchise tag so no other team could get a chance to make him an offer. Yes I agree Goldson looks great in our defense due to the fact our front 7 are amazing. I do still think he is the best player in our secondary. He made some big time plays last year. People seem to undervalue him way too much

I don't think it's undervaluing him so much as it is that our Niners can't afford to pay everyone top dollar. He also comes off as the type of player who all of a sudden plays well when it's close to payday and who you worry may drop off significantly when the team shows him the money.
Originally posted by hateroids84:

Rogers is a better db than Dashon, Cully will probably be better. That being said Dashon needs to get a contract that is fair for all involved, we have better players that will need to be resigned soon.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Jun 22, 2012 at 3:56 AM ]
I don't think we will make him the highest paid Safety, but think it will be close to it, as it should. I think if Goldson is smart he'll sign the deal SF is offering. By whats being reported I think the deal is quit fare. I think ultimately he'll sign. But don't expect to see him in camp until he has to be there. Until them we get to see what we have in Trent Robinson.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Rogers is a better db than Dashon, Cully will probably be better. That being said Dashon needs to get a contract that is fair for all involved, we have better players that will need to be resigned soon.

Rogers should be a better db since he is a CB; Saying Culliver will be better is a pretty large assumption. I still think he is the best player in our secondary; if your lucy enough to land a good safety u pay him...
Bottomline: I think we would have a really difficult time winning a SB in the next two years without him. Dude is an enforcer. Dont think WRs aren't aware that Goldson is coming when they catch the ball. He is a real game changer. Six interceptions (spare me the luck talk) and countless turnovers and dropped passes due to savage hits. I think he's ascending. 7 million is legit, 8 is too much.
Share 49ersWebzone