Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Ok, now the draft is long over and we got a peek at the rookies I have a few predictions:
- We won't need to keep three QB's
- We will carry 6 WR's that won't include Ginn and/or Moss
- All 2012 49er draftees will make the final 53
- Cam Johnson will be groomed to be Justin Smiths heir apparent, barring injury
The later is my boldest thus far. He will be a project but this kid, with his abilities, has perhaps the highest ceiling of all our picks. Justin can play at least another 2 full seasons at a high level, so that gives our coaching staff time to develop him. Also, he has 3-4 DE measurables - 6'3", 268, with room to gain about 7 or 8 pounds. I don't see us keeping more than 7 D-lineman on the gameday roster so this puts Dobbs and Tukuafu in completion with Cam. One l thing's for sure is that this 49er camp and pre-season will be the most competitive in years. It's been a long time since I've seen this much talent up and down the roster. Hats off to Baalke and JH. There won't be many changes in the starting line-up. But I think there's gonna be major changes in the sub-starter depth chart.
* I'd be shocked if the team kept only two QB's. Does that mean they will release CK or Josh Johnson? Highly unlikely. Just doesn't make sense. If the team was high on CK as a potential starter in 2012, they wouldn't have picked up Johnson.
* The team may end up with 6 WR's, and one of them not being Moss or Ginn. However, as we saw in the playoff game, the dropoff from Ginn to Williams was pretty severe. Williams is more likely in the hot seat than Moss or Ginn.
* The team will probably keep all rookies on their 53 man. However, Fleming is gone for the year, so that probably enhances Johnson's chance.
* Cam Johnson is 6'3", 268 pounds. Adding 7 pounds puts him at 275. If there is a 275 pound 3-4 DE in the NFL, please let me know. Even Smith's 285 pounds is on the light side for 34 DE's. Extremely unlikely he moves to DE.
My predictions (not sure how bold they are):
*Expect a DL not on the current roster to make the 53 man roster. I doubt that Dobbs, Williams and Tukuafu are all going to make the roster in 2012. In fact, I think only one survives to be on the opening day 53 man roster.
* Expect a significant member of the 49ers to go down to injury sometime during the year. It is simply a matter of percentages. The team was really fortunate last season to have all the major pieces healthy. The most significant injury was to Josh Morgan. Hopefully it won't happen, but the law of averages tends to catch up with a team. Remember years ago when 4 of our top 5 CB's were out?
* The Niners will be in a much tighter divisional race. Expect a 10-6 year, only a game or two better than Seattle and/or Arizona.
* Jenkins will have about 30 catches for 420 yards, three TD's in his rookie year.
* Slowey will make the roster, bumping Person to the curb.
* Finally, someone posted a trade with Joe Staley??????? Come on, man. That is crazy talk. Teams don't trade Pro-Bowl LT's. Boone is perfect as a backup swing tackle. He is not a Pro-Bowler.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on May 16, 2012 at 9:06 AM ]