Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Grade the 2009 draft.

b- only if ciffee
Crabtree, RFJ, and a 1st rounder

C...C- at the very least
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
I'd say B+ considering we got Upati the next draft in round 1.
lol at the low grades. That draft wasn't as bad as you think.

1st round: Crabtree - B - If we would have passed up Carbtree their wouldn't be a webzone as we'd all have killed ourselves. Crabtree was THE WR in that draft and wasn't even expected to make it to #10. I did a keg stand when he fell to us. I would have personally flew to San Fran and stabbed Scotty in the face if he passed on Crabtree.

2nd round: traded Carolina for its 1st round pick in 2010 which became Iupati. Looking back at what players were slotted to go around #43 this was a great trade, not too many guys i would take today besides LeSean Mccoy.

3rd round: Glenn Coffee - F - but lets be real, no one saw him quitting so you can't blame the front office for this. He was productive in college and could have been a decent 3rd rounder. Plus non of the backs taken after him stand out.

4th round: Traded for Iupati???

5th round: Scott McKillop - D - Injuries derailed him. Is he in the league still?

6th round: Nate Davis - D - The webzone savior. Fans throughout the webzone were on his nuts. Some of you guys better be giving this guy an A+++. He made the team and for a 6th rounder that's not too bad so i give him a D.

6th round: Bear Pascoe - C- - Dude is still in the league and i think he got a Super Bowl ring.

7th round: Curtis Taylor - C- - He made the team and since he was a 7th rounder I give him a C- for his effort

7th round: Ricky Jean-Francois - B - Still on the team and still shows potential. Great value.

Overall i would grade this draft a B-. Technically we got 2 starters (Crabs, Iupati) and a backup NT. If Crabs would live up to his potential this draft wouldn't be bad at all.
This draft is interesting. First thing's first, we have to remember to not use the 2011 draft as the benchmark to determine if 2009 was a good draft or a bad one.

Now to analyze this draft,

Round-Overall Player
First-10 Michael Crabtree
We can make all of the excuses that we want, but the fact is, he hasn't panned out. I want him to do well, but the sad reality is that when you look at the 2009 draft, there are about 6 receivers that you can argue have contributed more than Michael Crabtree at this point. I always used to look at Hakeem Nicks and Percy Harvin, but you also have Jeremy Maclin, Mike Wallace, and Kenny Britt. If he were drafted in the 3rd round, this would've been a very solid pick. But since he went #10 overall, it drops the value of this pick to a C. He has had an average career. Definitely an NFL quality receiver, but has done nothing to really write home about. Still has the potential for a break-out season now that he is surrounded by speedy wideouts to take attention away from him, leaving the underneath routes open.

Second Round Pick- Traded to the Panthers for their first in 2010. BEST MOVE OF THE DRAFT!! This pick netted us Mike Iupati, a solid starter for years to come. A+

Third-74 Glen Coffee
Did nothing in year one. Then he retired. The reasons he retired were admirable, but don't they have guys to evaluate these people to see how much they love football? This pick gets a G (lower than F).

Fifth-146 Scot McKilop
Barely remember him.

Fifth-171 Nate Davis
Had potential. That's about it. F.

Fifth-184 Bear Pascoe
Not a world beater, but he's a starter for the Giants and has more rings than Dan Marino. Why exactly did we cut him? I guess it was imperative that Jimmy Raye/Singletary save that roster spot for Michael Spurlock so he could stun defenses with that dreaded Taser

Seventh-219 Curtis Taylor
He was a seventh round pick and lived up to the expectations of a seventh round pick. He made the team for consecutive seasons and is now out of the league. D+/C-.

Seventh- Ricky Jean-Francois
He is a solid back-up that can come in and fill in on one of the best defensive lines in the NFL. B.

Overall, this draft gets a D. It could rise if Crabtree gets his stuff together. But I don't regret this draft. As someone metioned earlier, the failure of this draft is what eventually led to a good house cleaning that brought out current regime about. It's similar to how the 49ers of 1976-1978 led to the hiring of Bill Walsh. The only other good that could've come out of this draft is if they would've traded away more picks to net more picks for Baalke in 2010.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This draft is interesting. First thing's first, we have to remember to not use the 2011 draft as the benchmark to determine if 2009 was a good draft or a bad one.

Round-Overall Player
We can make all of the excuses that we want, but the fact is, he hasn't panned out. I want him to do well, but the sad reality is that when you look at the 2009 draft, there are about 6 receivers that you can argue have contributed more than Michael Crabtree at this point. I always used to look at Hakeem Nicks and Percy Harvin, but you also have Jeremy Maclin, Mike Wallace, and Kenny Britt. If he were drafted in the 3rd round, this would've been a very solid pick. But since he went #10 overall, it drops the value of this pick to a C. He has had an average career. Definitely an NFL quality receiver, but has done nothing to really write home about. Still has the potential for a break-out season now that he is surrounded by speedy wideouts to take attention away from him, leaving the underneath routes open.

Second Round Pick- Traded to the Panthers for their first in 2010. BEST MOVE OF THE DRAFT!! This pick netted us Mike Iupati, a solid starter for years to come. A+

Third-74 Glen Coffee
Did nothing in year one. Then he retired. The reasons he retired were admirable, but don't they have guys to evaluate these people to see how much they love football? This pick gets a G (lower than F).

Fifth-146 Scot McKilop
Barely remember him.

Fifth-171 Nate Davis

Fifth-184 Bear Pascoe
Not a world beater, but he's a starter for the Giants and has more rings than Dan Marino. Why exactly did we cut him? I guess it was imperative that Jimmy Raye/Singletary save that roster spot for Michael Spurlock so he could stun defenses with that dreaded Taser

He was a seventh round pick and lived up to the expectations of a seventh round pick. He made the team for consecutive seasons and is now out of the league. D+/C-.

He is a solid back-up that can come in and fill in on one of the best defensive lines in the NFL. B.

Overall, this draft gets a D. It could rise if Crabtree gets his stuff together. But I don't regret this draft. As someone metioned earlier, the failure of this draft is what eventually led to a good house cleaning that brought out current regime about. It's similar to how the 49ers of 1976-1978 led to the hiring of Bill Walsh. The only other good that could've come out of this draft is if they would've traded away more picks to net more picks for Baalke in 2010.

LOL. So true. And back then, we NEEDED starters and had holes all over the place. Today, if we got one or two starters out of the draft, that would be epic. Apples to oranges comparison!
before i posted this, i searched to see if there were any threads about the 2009 draft but there wasn't any. I know i haven't been on the 'Zone for a long time but, it would have been fun to see what we all thought back then

Round-Overall Player

Third-74 Glen Coffee

Fifth-146 Scot McKilop
Barely remember him.

Fifth-171 Nate Davis

Fifth-184 Bear Pascoe

Dude sums it all up for me.especially where you metion all the other recievers drafted that year and the subsequent house cleaning.great f**kin post doe.
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on May 12, 2012 at 5:30 AM ]
Originally posted by miked1978:
lol at the low grades. That draft wasn't as bad as you think.

1st round: Crabtree - B - If we would have passed up Carbtree their wouldn't be a webzone as we'd all have killed ourselves. Crabtree was THE WR in that draft and wasn't even expected to make it to #10. I did a keg stand when he fell to us. I would have personally flew to San Fran and stabbed Scotty in the face if he passed on Crabtree.

2nd round: traded Carolina for its 1st round pick in 2010 which became Iupati. Looking back at what players were slotted to go around #43 this was a great trade, not too many guys i would take today besides LeSean Mccoy.

3rd round: Glenn Coffee - F - but lets be real, no one saw him quitting so you can't blame the front office for this. He was productive in college and could have been a decent 3rd rounder. Plus non of the backs taken after him stand out.

4th round: Traded for Iupati???

5th round: Scott McKillop - D - Injuries derailed him. Is he in the league still?

6th round: Nate Davis - D - The webzone savior. Fans throughout the webzone were on his nuts. Some of you guys better be giving this guy an A+++. He made the team and for a 6th rounder that's not too bad so i give him a D.

6th round: Bear Pascoe - C- - Dude is still in the league and i think he got a Super Bowl ring.

7th round: Curtis Taylor - C- - He made the team and since he was a 7th rounder I give him a C- for his effort

7th round: Ricky Jean-Francois - B - Still on the team and still shows potential. Great value.

Overall i would grade this draft a B-. Technically we got 2 starters (Crabs, Iupati) and a backup NT. If Crabs would live up to his potential this draft wouldn't be bad at all.

You're being generous.

Crabtree was a C at best as there were multiple WR's better taken later (and not all Niners fans wanted to take him, personally I wanted Alex Mack). Also other positions with more talent too. RJF was maybe the best pick in the late rounds (and he's start on many teams) and should be an A+.

Coffee obviously sucked ass even before he quit. He was a terrible pick, quitter or not.

I give the draft a C (including the extra first).
[ Edited by Evilgenius on May 12, 2012 at 5:48 AM ]

Round-Overall Player

Third-74 Glen Coffee

Fifth-146 Scot McKilop
Barely remember him.

Fifth-171 Nate Davis

Fifth-184 Bear Pascoe

I remember Sing said Pascoe didnt adjust well to the speed of the game in the NFL.
Scott McKillop, passed his physical,signed with the Bills,back with his college coach, Dave Wanstedt,the Bills defensive Cord.
Originally posted by franklinfan:
Scott McKillop, passed his physical,signed with the Bills,back with his college coach, Dave Wanstedt,the Bills defensive Cord.

I guess i'm the only one who liked scotty.