There are 174 users in the forums

Has Frank Gore *truly* lost a step?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Lol his vision is still unbelievable

7 yards a carry is still outstanding
man is a monster and looked great on his TD run
Yes.

...but he's still pretty damn good. ;-)
He looks pretty good to me. He was never real fast in long speed. Just good vision, cuts, decision making, quickness and power running low to the ground.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
He was good yesterday, but it's hard not to be when you have such a complete gameplan behind you.
I love Frank, man! He's such a boss on the field
Yeah he lost a step and that must be the reason he searches for it in the opposing teams endzone. Keep searching Frank.
He is definitely not the same guy he was in his glory days, but that is OK. When he was in his prime the team needed him to take them on his back. The team doesn't need that anymore.

1. He doesn't have the power he did when he first came into the league. He used to power through defensive linemen for an extra three or four yards. Now the team has Brandon Jacobs to do that.

2. He used to be able to slide through cracks in the defense and worm his way to the first down marker when it seemed like he had no space. Kendall Hunter does that now.

What he DOES bring is great blitz pickup, instinctive running, and an ability to set up his blockers. The 22 yard TD run he had was a thing of beauty, not because of his power or his speed, but because he set up his blockers perfectly. I imagine he will get about 15 carries a game, at most, but he will continue to find his yards. Hunter will probably lead the team in carries most weeks, but Gore still adds a dimension to this team. He'll never be the back he once was, but THEY DON'T NEED HIM TO BE!! Beautiful.
Originally posted by Karma:
He is definitely not the same guy he was in his glory days, but that is OK. When he was in his prime the team needed him to take them on his back. The team doesn't need that anymore.

1. He doesn't have the power he did when he first came into the league. He used to power through defensive linemen for an extra three or four yards. Now the team has Brandon Jacobs to do that.

2. He used to be able to slide through cracks in the defense and worm his way to the first down marker when it seemed like he had no space. Kendall Hunter does that now.

What he DOES bring is great blitz pickup, instinctive running, and an ability to set up his blockers. The 22 yard TD run he had was a thing of beauty, not because of his power or his speed, but because he set up his blockers perfectly. I imagine he will get about 15 carries a game, at most, but he will continue to find his yards. Hunter will probably lead the team in carries most weeks, but Gore still adds a dimension to this team. He'll never be the back he once was, but THEY DON'T NEED HIM TO BE!! Beautiful.

Amen!!!!
Originally posted by 49erswillbeback:
Yeah he lost a step and that must be the reason he searches for it in the opposing teams endzone. Keep searching Frank.

Love it!

Originally posted by Wodwo:
Yes, Frank Gore lost a step.

He lost a step after tearing the ACL in both of his knees in college.

When he's 3 steps ahead of the competition, he can afford to lose 1
Love Frank, but would like to see him reach out the ball when doing so would get a first down (or TD). He missed a chance yesterday again.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Love Frank, but would like to see him reach out the ball when doing so would get a first down (or TD). He missed a chance yesterday again.

That leads to turnovers. If you recall, Gore had a major fumble problem in his career.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Done? Who said he was done? BW might have not signed him LT and cut him at this stage (while already having someone coached up to take his place anyhow) but he's not done. He's DONE being the every down, bell cow back b/c of Hunter, James, Jacobs, etc. He had a great first half last year too. This running-back-by-committee is a team approach to keep him strong and healthy throughout the year.

I personally loved that his TD was essentially an off-T run with only two blocks (Iupati & Miller). He looked quick/fast. He didn't have to stay in and block or catch passes (1 catch for 1 yard) and we used Hunter on th edges. If anything we're reducing his PT to what he does best and keeping him fresh! HaRoman is using him exactly how we should be using him...ride him all the way to the SuperBowl. Nobody (save for Alex) deserves it more, IMHO!

I was talking to those who believed last year was going to be his last good year.
Share 49ersWebzone