There are 233 users in the forums

Has Frank Gore *truly* lost a step?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
He doesn't have the speed to take it to the house (yesterday withstanding ), but he has excellent vision and is a TANK to tackle. He will manage a 5yd/carry which is exactly what this offense needs.

Frankie has never had top end speed. He looks about the same to me.

The bigger question is his body holding up during the course of the season. I'd like to see him spelled quite a bit. Against the Packers, looks like he got 2/3 of the RB touches. I hope over the course of the season its more like 60% of the carries.

A few years ago, playing the Seahawks at home, Frank had 2 breakaway 70+ yd TDs, both had defenders in pursuit. What I'm saying is he doesn't have that speed anymore. But the combination of his vision, awareness, trucking ability, and pass protection still put him in the top 10 RB in the NFL (and I don't think I'm being biased there).

I think I remember that game. But I also remember games where he was hauled down after a gash of 40-50 yards.

Even with a lost step, he's still one of the best backs in the NFL.

He ain't the fastest but way too much is made of him getting caught from behind. The DBs had angles and full uninstructed paths towards him, where he was juking and breaking tackles before he started the foot race with the DBs already in pursuit -having just abandoned their coverage when play developed away from them.

Gore has all the speed he needs. Our damn coaches and Alex (not Kaep) need to get 7 when we get to the Red zone
[ Edited by SealTeam6 on Oct 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM ]
Gore is great, but our o line is the most important part of the run game. Yes, more important than my boy Frank. Frank is awesome, but damn this o line opens up some HUGE holes.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Gore is great, but our o line is the most important part of the run game. Yes, more important than my boy Frank. Frank is awesome, but damn this o line opens up some HUGE holes.

It's Frank's vision and cut back ability that makes the runs what they are. Yes, the O-line definitely creates holes for him, but the vision Frank has makes the O-line look good.
Speed was never his game. It was all about the vision and his cutback ability.
  • dugo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

It's Frank's vision and cut back ability that makes the runs what they are. Yes, the O-line definitely creates holes for him, but the vision Frank has makes the O-line look good.

Gore is just B-A-D.... That man runs hard and he hasn't lost that much football speed ,the o-line for sure does its job and i feel is one of the best in the league ,, I'm sure Gore takes care of them..But Gore carries the rock and not to long ago our o-line sucked but Gore still got his yards
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

True... maybe it's 50/50 then. The O line has to get a lot of credit for what they do. Hunter also has success when he comes in. Not a coincidence.

Everyone plays a huge role in the running game. Great play-calling more often than not from Greg Roman. Alex does a good job of the pre-snap audibling. Great blocking from the offensive line, tight ends, and receivers. And overall, just a lot of talent across the board when it comes to running the ball. The offense has been BUILT for running ever since Alex Smith was drafted. Only since Harbaugh and Roman came in, did we really start to reach our full potential.

We've been moderately successful running the ball under Norv Turner and a few of the other coordinators we had, but what Harbaugh/Roman have brought is incredible. Our YPC is the highest team YPC in the league, isn't it?
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Fully agree speed hasn't been his game since his first knee blew. What makes him special is his vison, ablilty to see it before it is there, and his power and getting lower than others trying to tackle him. That he works harder than any other player in the nfl and wants it more!
Originally posted by gold49digger:

He has amazing feet that can dance around and he can explode laterally on those jump cuts as well as anyone.
5.8 per carry

Just want to give mad props to Gore for balling out last night. I do love how they are using he and Hunter. Now we NEED to get Jacobs in; he could have helped pound the rock and take some pounding off Gore as well. But as always, he is manning up and did just as well in pass protection AND he caught every ball last night (2 areas he has been slipping in a lot over the past year). Props!
ask Earl Thomas.
This s**t again?

Dude had 100+ rushing and 50+ receiving and we still arent satisfied?

Wasnt that run everyone is talking about after his injury, where he was gasping for air on the sidelines yet noone noticed and rathman sent him back out?
With vision and burst like he has, you can compensate for a lot including lack of top shelf speed. Also heart. Miles and miles of heart.
We all lose a step as time goes by.

BUT he has plenty in the Tank to get the job done!

Our Oline played a hell of a game.
Share 49ersWebzone