There are 179 users in the forums

Post-Draft 53 Man Roster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
MUCH rather keep Tolzien than JJ. I've NEVER been impressed w/him.

Same here!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by mcbaes72:

Same here!

racist
I think we have a good bunch of the big guys and IMO they make teams go. I believe if they (the big guys) have the goods, special team guys will go. I have the feeling some guys will surprise us like Eddie, Kourtnei Brown, Slowey. This is going to be a bruiser of a team. I wonder just how Eli will do this year. Players have wilted in the past from beatings like Eli took from the niners and it appears they will be much tougher this year.
Originally posted by susweel:

Same here!

racist

Wait a minute, why is his statement racist? Fans are fanatics and hopeful, they saw Tolzien light up the niners, feel he is a good back up qb, and want him over a retread from Tampa. I personally want the best qb's to be on the roster, but I am cheering for the same qb's as last year. the only reason is I feel Kaepernick needs to be developed, Tolzien could be a great career back up. simple as that.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
Wait a minute, why is his statement racist? Fans are fanatics and hopeful, they saw Tolzien light up the niners, feel he is a good back up qb, and want him over a retread from Tampa. I personally want the best qb's to be on the roster, but I am cheering for the same qb's as last year. the only reason is I feel Kaepernick needs to be developed, Tolzien could be a great career back up. simple as that.
you must remember that susweet wants to get rid of crabtree and williams . i think racism has something to do with his thinking, there is a bit of racism in all of us
Here's mine:

QB (3)- Smith, Kap, Johnson
RB (6)- Gore, Hunter, James, Jacobs/Dixon, Cartwright (don't particularly want Rock on the squad, but he more than likely makes it), Miller
WR (6)- Crab, Moss, Ham, Ginn, Jenk, K. Williams
OL (8)- Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Person
TE (4)- VD, Walker, Reuland/Byham, Jennings
DL (6)- J. Smith, Sope, RayMac, RJF, Dobbs, Tukuafu
LB (8)- A. Smith, Willis, Bowman, Brooks, Grant, Gooden, Haralson, C. Johnson
CB (5)- Rogers, Brown, Cully, Brock, Cox
S (5)- Goldson, Whitner, Spillman, Robinson, Jones
K (1)- Akers
P (1)- Lee

PS (8)- Tolzien, Owusu, Reuland/Byham, I. Williams, Beeler/D. Hall, Nelms, M. Thomas, Holcomb

Very, very tough to come up with the 7 game day inactives but perhaps J. Johnson, Jenkins, K. Williams, Person, Tukuafu/Dobbs, C. Johnson, and Brock/Cox
[ Edited by andes14 on Jun 27, 2012 at 12:13 PM ]
Thoughts on each position:

QB- Is Tolzien practice squad eligible because he is almost guaranteed a spot on it if he doesn't make the team and nobody else picks him up. I'd like to keep him... pre season should tell a lot but Johnson has to be the favorite and we will most likely keep 3 QBs.

RB/FB- If Cartwright makes the team he might go under ST player or even backup FB. Remember without Norris we have an extra spot because we had 2 FB last year. If Miller goes down we could pick up an outsider, use Sopoaga/Tukuafu or possibly Cartwright. This would allow us to keep Gore/Hunter/James/Jacobs. Then again maybe Dixon beats Cartwright out or we cut both of them.

WRs- I expect us to keep 6 WRs. Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, Jenkins are all locks. Ginn to me is almost a sure thing and Williams shows too much promise to get rid of. TE - Seems likely we keep 3 TEs with Byham and Reuland battling it out. Slim chance we keep 2 to save a roster spot IMO.

OL- If Kilgore shows enough promise as backup C then I would think Slowey would be on the PS. Kilgore can backup RG spot after Boone or C after Goodwin. Looney should be in the mix as well for backup. Person probably makes it as backup tackle. Boone probably slides to T if one goes down and Kilgore/Looney go to RG.
----------------
DL- Liked what I saw from Tukuafu a few years back in the pre season. He hustled and had more sacks in 1 game than Balmer did in 2 years. Anyways, he showed promise in little playing time and had a FR for 12 yards in his 1st game. Was placed on IR after 4 games. Seems like almost a lock to me. Only wonder on the DL to me is Dobbs vs Ian Williams possibly unless we keep 7 DL and both probably make it.

OLB- Fleming to IR makes it easy on us so we don't have to pick between Johnson and him if we keep 4 OLB. Brooks, Smith and Haralson are locks IMO. Kourtnei Brown could possibly push Johnson for that 4th spot but he probably ends up on the PS. If we don't keep 4 Johnson to PS.

ILB- Odds are we keep Gooden and make it 4 ILB. Unless we were worried about someone else signing Grant why have Gooden back if we only wanted 3 ILBs?

CB- Have said all along and will stand by it in that both Perrish Cox and Tramaine Brock make the team. Expect good things from both of them.

S- Goldson, Whitner and Spillman are all locks. Seems like Robinson battles it out with Colin Jones for the last spot. Doubt we can afford to keep both unless we keep Jones for ST reasons instead of Cartwright.

Battles and Questions:
-3rd QB: Josh Johnson vs Tolzien (Johnson the favorite)
-RB/FB/ST: Cartwright/Dixon or neither?
-DL: Dobbs vs Ian Williams or both make it?
-4th S: Trent Robinson vs Colin Jones
-3rd TE: Reuland vs Byham
-Backup Center: Kilgore vs Slowey vs Beeler
-Backup FB: Sopoaga vs Tukuafu vs Cartwright vs Dixon or multiple guys
-3 or 4 OLBs?
-5 or 6 WRs?

-------MY ROSTER--------
Offense: (25)
QB- Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Josh Johnson
RB- Frank Gore, LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter, Brandon Jacobs
FB- Bruce Miller
WR- Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, Ginn, AJ Jenkins, Kyle Willliams
TE- Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Reuland (Byham not fully healthy?)
OT- Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Mike Person
OG- Mike Iupati, Alex Boone (Backup T as well), Joe Looney
C- Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore (backup RG as well)

Defense: (24)
NT- Isaac Sopoaga, RJF (3rd DE as well), Ian Williams
DE- Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Will Tukuafu, Demarcus Dobbs
ILB- Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Larry Grant, Tavares Gooden
OLB- Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Cam Johnson
CB- Rogers, Tarrell Brown, Chris Culliver, Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock
S- Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner, CJ Spillman, Trent Robinson

ST: (4) K- David Akers, P-Andy Lee, LS-Brian Jennings, ST-Rock Cartwright
IR - Darius Fleming

Only problem I had was my last 3 I am unsure about which are Cartwright, Colin Jones and Ian Williams. Two of them can make it with my roster scenario. Went with Ian and Cartwright (vet leader as well) but could easily go with any two of them.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 8, 2012 at 3:11 AM ]
  • cools
  • Veteran
good post, thats pretty much my 53 as well

Though I dont think ive ever seen a Niner team carry less then 9 OL
but we may have some good guys on the PS like Slowey, Hall and Beeler they could bring up if needed
I still think we may bring in a vet, so the Niners wouldnt have to start Person, Kilgore or Looney if someone got hurt

Many have Jones making the 53, Im not so sure, we added Robinson and Cox who could take over his duties
and still have a position besides being just a ST like Jones would be.
I do think Cartwright makes it, and becomes the special teams captain

My camp longshot making the 53, Im going with DL Jerod-Eddie over Ian Williams as the 7th guy
Can play 3-4 DE, or inside when we run 4 man fronts, Im sure he'd probably be inactive most games
but i think he has a future with us.
[ Edited by cools on Jul 8, 2012 at 8:34 AM ]
i think AJ jenkins right now, would be the last WR on the depth chart
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
i think AJ jenkins right now, would be the last WR on the depth chart

yup. He has some work to do. Lucky for us he does not have to be great right away as we have some good guys ahead of him. I am not sure if this is good news or bad news. Most of the time when you draft a number one you expect him to be a good player in his rookie year. I will just hope that the coaches know best Am glad to see williams has stepped up his game. it would have been easy for him to go into a shell but despite what some fans want to see, he has worked hard and if the season began today he would be our fourth or maybe third wideout.

I worry that we don't have experienced depth at OL and at S. I would prefer that we skimp on RBs to carry some extra depth at either of these two spots. In a pinch, they can use one of the TE's or even a DL as an extra blocking back. People keep saying that the DL lacks depth but with RJF and Tuk, I think they can use more of a rotation this year.
Here is my updated one, I won't include salary implications at this moment.

Key Battles:

3rd QB between Tolzien and Johnson, It seems Johnson was brought in for a reason, to push Tolzien for 3rd spot and Kaepernick for 2nd spot, if he is cut then we will see that he isn't good, especially with Harbaugh cutting him.

Backup RB spot between Brandon Jacobs and Anthony Dixon. Jacobs was brought in to be the short yardage back, and if he proves he can do it then it's a no brainer, Jacobs wins the spot.

3rd TE spot between Konrad Reuland and Nate Byham. I think Byham, if healthy, gets the spot based on the fact he is a pure boocking TE.

RG starting spot between 3 players in my opinion. Last years rookie Daniel Kilgore, who could be a long term answer at C, 2012 pick Joe Looney, who would make a great RG or backup/7th OL, and main backup OT Alex Boone. I think Boone has the uper hand, but in time I would shift Kilgore to Center, and have Looney or Boone at RG.

Backup DL spots. It depends on how many DL we keep, 5 is a given on gameday, so is it 6 or 7 total. Then it comes down to locks being Justin, RJF, McDOnald and Sopoaga, with Will Tukuafu, Demarcus Dobbs and Ian Williams as favorites for last 2 or 3 spots. Potentially we could see a surprise in UDFAs Matthew Masifilo and Tony Jerod-Eddie.

3rd and 4th OLB spots, if Haralson takes a pay cut or the team does deem his salary fine than he is on no questions asked. Then comes down to guys like Cam Johnson, Eric Bakhtiari and Kourtnei Brown competing.

4th and 5th CB spots. Right now we have Tramaine Brock and Perrish Cox as favorite, I would like to see a veteran brought in for better depth, but if we keep Brock, Cox or someone else like Curtis Holcomb or Cory Nelms, then we would be looking at potential for issues with potential injuries.

Backup FS spot between Trenton Robinson, Michael Thomas, possibly Cory Nelms, and maybe a veteran brought in.

Now the roster:

QB(3)- 11 Alex Smith(2014), 7 Colin Kaepernick(2014) and 1 Josh Johnson(2013)
RB(4)- 21 Frank Gore(2014), 23 LaMichael James(2015), 45 Brandon Jacobs(2012) and 32 Kendall Hunter(2014)
FB(1)- 49 Bruce Miller(2014)
WR(5)- 84 Randy Moss(2012), 15 Michael Crabtree(2014), 14 Mario Manningham(2013), 19 Ted Ginn Jr.(2012) and 17 A.J. Jenkins(2015)
TE(3)- 85 Vernon Davis(2015), 46 Delanie Walkere(2012) and 82 Nate Byham(2013)
C(1)- 59 Jonathan Goodwin(2013)
LG(1)- 77 Mike Iupati(2014)
RG(1)- 75 Alex Boone(2015)
OG(2)- 67 Daniel Kilgore(2014) and 66 Joe Looney(2015)
LT(1)- 74 Joe Staley(2017)
RT(1)- 76 Anthony Davis(2014)
OT(1)- 78 Mike Person(2014)

DE(4)- 94 Justin Smith(2013), 91 Ray McDonald(2015), 92 Will Tukuafu(2013) and 96 Demarcus Dobbs(2013)
NT(3)- 90 Isaac Sopoaga(2012), 95 Ricky Jean Francois(2012) and 93 Ian Williams(2013)
OLB(4)- 55 Ahmad Brooks(2017), 99 Aldon Smith(2014), 98 Parys Haralson(2013) and 50 Cam Johnson(2015)
ILB(4)- 52 Patrick Willis(2016), 53 NaVorro Bowman(2013), 54 Larry Grant(2012) and 56 Tavares Gooden(2012)
CB(5)- 22 Carlos Rogers(2015), 25 Tarell Brown(2013), 29 Chris Culliver(2014), 20 Perrish Cox(2013) and 26 Tramaine Brock(2012)
FS(2)- 38 Dashon Goldson(2012) and 30 Trenton Robinson(2015)
SS(2)- 31 Donte Whitner(2013) and 27 C.J. Spillman(2014)

PK(1)- 2 David Akers(2013)
P(1)- 4 Andy Lee(2018)
LS(1)- 86 Brian Jennings(2014)
ST(2)- 28 Rock Cartwright(2012) and 43 Colin Jones(2014)

IR- OLB 58 Darius Fleming(2015)
PS(8)- RB 33 Jewell Hampton, WR 81 Chris Owusu, WR 89 Nathan Palmer, C 62 Jason Slowey, DE 71 Matthew Masifilo, OLB 51 Joe Holland, CB 41 Curtis Holcomb and FS 36 Michael Thomas

Note: I don't see Tolzien clearing waivers to get onto the P-Squad.

Key Cuts- QB Scott Tolzien, RB Anthony Dixon, WR Kyle Williams, TE Konrad Reuland. OT Derek Hall, OLB Eric Bakhtiari, CB Cory Nelms, FS Mark LeGree

Then heading into 2013 offseason we would have following free agents:

RB Brandon Jacobs
WR Randy Moss
WR Ted Ginn Jr.
TE Delanie Walker
NT Isaac Sopoaga
NT Ricky Jean Francois
ILB Larry Grant
ILB Tavares Gooden
FS Dashon Goldson
CB Tramine Brock (RFA)
ST Rock Cartwright

Players who need to be addressed to either straight extend or extend and lower salary to help cap wise:

LG Mike Iupati
RT Anthony Davis
DE Justin Smith
ILB NaVorro Bowman
SS Donte Whitner
PK David Akers

I would also look into Tarell Brown's deal, maybe extend him if he continues his nice play.

Others who would be addressed, but not until 2014 offseason are Aldon Smith, Chris Culliver and Bruce Miller, and small deals for guys like Mike Person, and look at Daniel Kilgore, depended on how he does in next few years.

I don't expect both Sopoaga and Jean Francois back, most likely Jean Francois is back, Sopoaga will cost too much for a player who isn't on field every down.

Moss comes back if he has a nice breakout season. Delanie will be back for right price, if not, we add a replacement in FA or draft day.

Not many who would be back for sure. Ginn would be if the return rules aren't changed or LaMichael James proves ready.

Brock isn't tendered as a RFA(1.26M is too much), Jacobs likely leaves for more money, Grant will want starter money.

Gooden comes back on either vet minimum or small 2 yr deal, since he has been really nice as a special teamer.

Goldson I see gone, he wants too much, and isn't worth more than 6M a yr, and balking at 7M is being an idiot.

So this would be mine:

Re-Sign:

Ginn (As long as return rules stay the way they are)
Gooden
Jean Francois
Moss
Cartwright (I like keeping solid Special Teamers)

Let go:

Sopoaga
Goldson
Jacobs
Grant (Wants starter money and starter job)
Brock (Unless he signs a vet minimum deal)

Want back but may leave:

Walker

Then extend:

J.Smith (Through 2015, lowers base of $7.5M to vet minimum, allows to exttend Bowman)
Bowman
Whitner (Also lowers base salary)
Akers (If he plans to play past 2013)
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by susweel:

Same here!

racist

Sus was obv joking. Get over yourself.
AB,
Since you're still saying the Niners will cut their third best receiver in K. Williams in favor of a backup FB in Cartwright, then I'm still saying "No."
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
AB,
Since you're still saying the Niners will cut their third best receiver in K. Williams in favor of a backup FB in Cartwright, then I'm still saying "No."

I don't see Kyle Williams as he teams 3rd best WR, it's Moss, Crabs, Manningham and even Ginn IMO are better than Kyle Williams. And 6 WRs aren't needed, when we can use a ST guys more than Williams.
Share 49ersWebzone