Not a member? Register Now!

Roster Battles w/draft picks updated*

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
my new projected 53 man now with draft done

QB- Alex Smith, Josh Johnson and Colin Kaepernick
RB- Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James and Brandon Jacobs
FB- Bruce Miller
WR- Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss, Mario Manningham and A.J. Jenkins
TE- Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker and Nate Byham(Backup FB)
C- Jonathan Goodwin and Jason Slowey
OG- MIke Iupati, Daniel Kilgore, Joe Looney and Mike Person
OT- Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Alex Boone

DE- Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Will Tukuafu and Demarcus Dobbs
NT- Isaac Sopoaga and Ricky Jean Francois
OLB- Ahmad Brooks, Aldon Smith, Parys Haralson and Darius Fleming
ILB- Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Larry Grant and Tavares Gooden
CB- Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Chris Culliver, Perrish Cox and Tramaine Brock
S- Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman, Trenton Richardson and Colin Jones

ST- David Akers, Andy Lee, Brian Jennings, Ted Ginn Jr. and Rock Cartwright

Close calls, but left off, Ian Williams and Cam Johnson, as a UDFA and 7th Round Pick they need to prove in camp.

Before anyone says anything about Jones and Cartwright, they should make it based on STs, they are aces on STs.

Based on this 53 man, the following would the 7 inactives, QB Kaeperick, WR Jenkins, C Slowey, OG Person, DE Dobbs, CB Brock and S Richardson.

I couldn't find a spot for Jenkins on 46 man, he won't be used a lot, unless Moss busts or is hurt.

One of the RB's will be inactive...cant see having 5 active on gaemday
Originally posted by jreff22:

Personally I hope Jacobs doesn't make the roster, so we can keep a OLB like Cam Johnson or NT like Ian Williams on 53 man. Also leaves Jenkins open to be on active gameday roster.

But one thing can be said, not many holes or open spots on gamedays for sure.

Personally I hope Jacobs doesn't make the roster, so we can keep a OLB like Cam Johnson or NT like Ian Williams on 53 man. Also leaves Jenkins open to be on active gameday roster.

think Rock gets cut as well...at his age whats the point
nice OTC

although i think we can take out a G with anthiny davis and boone on our roster and add in a WR no way we make the mistake of running with 4 WR this year again
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
nice OTC

although i think we can take out a G with anthiny davis and boone on our roster and add in a WR no way we make the mistake of running with 4 WR this year again

I'd rather keep the 9 OL, always could use OL, plus Person isn't practice squad eligible. I would rather Jacobs not make it, and keep Cam Johnson.

I also think Rock makes it based on ST value.

Core ST players- S Jones, RB Cartwright, OLB Fleming, S Spillman, CB Cox, TE Byham/Walker, ILB Gooden, ILB Grant, possibly OLB Johnson, CB Brock if active, and S Trenton Robinson if active.

Returners/Kickers- K Akers, P Lee, LS Jennings, RS Ginn
The niners do just what i expected them to do. Bring in a ton of WR's into camp and see who sticks. I like it. IMO the only safe bet is Jenkins. Noone is safe, everyone should be on edge. Let the competition begin.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Think Williams gets cut and maybe Jacobs

we still dont have a 2nd FB

i think they will keep 5 RBs and 1 FB. i thnk dixon makes it as an emergency RB and STs player. also D walker and (blah name escapes me) the TE who covered for miller when he got his concussion, are suitable backup FBs..

unless williams shows nothing i also think they keep all 6 WRs. with 1 being inactive on sundays(4+ginn)
Sopoaga can be backup FB ... he played plenty of reps there last year.

I agree. ST's were amazing last year, I know we lost Costanzo but I think we could throw in a rookie or someone else in there to take his spot.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
My projected 53 man as of now

FB- Bruce Miller
WR- Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, A.J. Jenkins and Ted Ginn Jr.
TE- Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker
C- Jonathan Goodwin
OG- Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore and Mike Person(Backup C also)

NT- Isaac Sopoaga, Ricky Jean Francois and Ian Williams
OLB- Ahmad Brooks, Aldon Smith and Parys Haralson
S- Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman and Colin Jones

ST- David Akers, Andy Lee, Brian Jennings and Rock Cartwright

I believe thats 49 right their, we should see competition at CB, DL and OL. I could see us carrying two TEs with a 6th RB if we keep the 4 RBs 1 FB and ST RB

If the current is 49 of the 53, we would IMO keep 2 other OL(OT and G/C), OLB and DB or TE. Dobbs and I.Williams spots aren't guaranteed right now, I think Tukuafu is, he was playing great before he got injured.

But all could change if we add a CB, OG, OLB, DE, NT, any one of those.

Looks right to me. I think we could keep Nate Byham and Miller both if there's 4 more spots available. If not, I think Byham would get picked up by another team, which would just go to show that the quality of guys we're getting has improved.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

I agree. ST's were amazing last year, I know we lost Costanzo but I think we could throw in a rookie or someone else in there to take his spot.

Same. To keep him for special teams at this point isn't necessary, especially when someone like Perrish Cox could be a guy to return balls and help in the secondary (long shot with Perrish, but I'm just sayin).

Rock will probably get cut. Seriously, what IS the point of having him on the roster if we are gonna carry Frank, Hunter, Jacobs, & LaMichael at minimum???

FB- Bruce Miller

S- Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman, Trenton Richardson and Colin Jones

Close calls, but left off, Ian Williams and Cam Johnson, as a UDFA and 7th Round Pick they need to prove in camp.

Before anyone says anything about Jones and Cartwright, they should make it based on STs, they are aces on STs.

Based on this 53 man, the following would the 7 inactives, QB Kaeperick, WR Jenkins, C Slowey, OG Person, DE Dobbs, CB Brock and S Richardson.

I couldn't find a spot for Jenkins on 46 man, he won't be used a lot, unless Moss busts or is hurt.

Call me crazy but I think Chris Owusu is going to make the team. 6'2'', 4.3 speed, knows the offense, and as long as he stays healthy with no concussions he can contribute. I think Cam Johnson makes it too, they said they thought he was a 3rd or 4th round talent and Baalke brought up how he was one of Mayock's top 100 players. The only reason he slid was because he has sickle cell trait, but we don't play at Denver next year so it shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't be surprised to see Haralson traded or let go, Harbaugh has proven he's not afraid to gamble and go with talent instead of tenure.
How the hell does Jenkins not suit up... He's a 1st round pick?
All i know is if you want to make this team you better be good and step up.

Haven't seen this much talent on our team in decades.
i see dixon and brenda jacobs not making the roster,nate byham should stick,and not for sure j. johnson sticks. i think people put to much value on his past relationship with harbaugh. wouldn't be surprised to see (one of) crabtree,moss,manningham,put in a trade package.

FB- Bruce Miller

i say mike person doesn't make it leaving us slightly thin at the position but not too bad and we keep kyle williams with all of them suiting up and brandon jacobs incactive

EDIT: actually looking at it mike person will make it but rock cartwright will not. yes costanzo is gone but i don't think we'll lose a step even with a rookie in there. And if it comes down to it i'd rather have williams on our roster over ginn. williams has more upside at the wr position and there are other people who can return kicks
[ Edited by NinerDieHard on Apr 29, 2012 at 7:12 AM ]