LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 332 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I love our first 2 picks. Fast is Faster.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
I'm not buying his 4.45 40 time, this guy just explodes as soon as he has the ball in his hands. Looks like a 4.2 40 guy lol. Just insane burst, quick feet, outstanding balance, and outruns angles. f**king stoked to have a guy like this on the 49ers!!!

People don't seem to realize how little of a difference it truly is between 4.2 and .3 or .4. Snap your finger as fast as you can and that's probably about the difference haha. That's also why it's hard to do handheld 40 times, at his pro-day a handheld stopwatch got him at 4.23. Others were in the .3 or .4 range.

Then consider that on the field, unlike the track, it's more about getting separation than having a steady sprint. Once you have two or three steps on defenders you just have to not get caught from behind. So I think we could probably learn more from a 15 or 20 yard dash.

He plays fast, like I said he looks like the road runner the way his legs move haha. That's really all that matters and it's why baalke is all about the tape.

Whaddaya say?!??!
[ Edited by verb1der on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:08 PM ]
that highlight video actually reminds me a bit of gore. james is more speed than gore, but the getting a lot of 2-30-40 yard gains but can't quite edge out the opposite safety or corner who has the angle.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Ok... so we added another WR in round one and then we go and get a fast spread offense RB who can catch the ball and play all over the field... AND who was very succesful running out of the shotgun formation in college... just so happens I know a qb who likes to throw out of the shotgun... and now that he has some WR we may very well see a little (or a lot) more of that.

Just sayin'

I think James and Hunter will be the RB's of the future... there really isn't any work horses in the NFL any more.
Originally posted by susweel:
It's probably gonna be frank's last season.

I think two more and he's done. He's had his stretches, but he hasn't been the same RB in a while.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
that highlight video actually reminds me a bit of gore. james is more speed than gore, but the getting a lot of 2-30-40 yard gains but can't quite edge out the opposite safety or corner who has the angle.

Noticed that too. But I think that's him shake 'n bake just to get to the safety level then sorta run out of room to go anywhere. But if he has any opening he's gone.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

yeah I saw a bit of Gore there as he was working his way through traffic. And yeah hes not a run out of bounds runner, he trys to get as much yardage he can get, which is another nod to Gore. If he cant shake and bake a DB in front of him he lowers the helmet and makes them eat turf.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Says he ran a 4.58 on the front page?? that right?

He looks 4.3 with a football. And like 4.2 when he's in the secondary

He ran a 4.40 at the combine. Some draft books have hand held times of 4.37 that I've seen. Not sure where 49ersWZ gets that time?.... It's the only place I've ever seen it.

no
ban him for using that pic of sproles.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Great pick. Jacobs has 2 years tops in him, same with Gore. Build the team around fast, versatile RB's like James and Hunter. No need for a "work horse" in today's NFL. Our team speed is unreal right now!

This for sure. Giving our offense some speed and help.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Could this be the end of Frank Gore? I know it's a crazy thought, but every RB hits that point in their career where they lose a step and just can't make the explosive play either through the hole or once they get into the secondary.

Again, seems crazy to think about it, but Gore has looked slower and slower every year, and from the looks of it, Harbaugh is going after speed, speed and more speed. Just sayin...

Jacobs, Hunter, James, Cartwright (SP), Miller (FB)????

I really think this is possible. And it's sacreligious to suggest. But lets be honest Gore took himself out of games at the end of the season and in the playoffs when we were in 4th quarters. I think he has really hit the wall. I'm also not sure Jacobs makes the team now on a 1 year deal? Or is it Dixon who gets cut. 1 of those 2 is gone. Gore could be gone or demoted. I think they want more speed on the field and I think it makes a lot of sense.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
I'm not buying his 4.45 40 time, this guy just explodes as soon as he has the ball in his hands. Looks like a 4.2 40 guy lol. Just insane burst, quick feet, outstanding balance, and outruns angles. f**king stoked to have a guy like this on the 49ers!!!

People don't seem to realize how little of a difference it truly is between 4.2 and .3 or .4. Snap your finger as fast as you can and that's probably about the difference haha. That's also why it's hard to do handheld 40 times, at his pro-day a handheld stopwatch got him at 4.23. Others were in the .3 or .4 range.

Then consider that on the field, unlike the track, it's more about getting separation than having a steady sprint. Once you have two or three steps on defenders you just have to not get caught from behind. So I think we could probably learn more from a 15 or 20 yard dash.

He plays fast, like I said he looks like the road runner the way his legs move haha. That's really all that matters and it's why baalke is all about the tape.

Totally agree 40 times can be so misleading... a player who can make slight changes in directions or cuts without losing speed play much faster than their 40 times. James is one of those guys - Sproles 40 times weren't great either but they are both so fast in and out of cuts and they run just as well in pads as they do in t-shirts and shorts.
Share 49ersWebzone