LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
I would hope the playbook doesn't keep AJ off the field. If he can't learn the playbook in basically 1 and a half yrs, then we chose the wrong guy. I tend to favor his naiveity(sp) with the fact that windows are so tiny, DBs are so fast, DBs, LBs, CBs are so strong. Sure a lot of college guys underestimate the NFL ..so fast, so tough, so exacting. It shouldn't be that way unless the collegiate is just not paying attention...and it looks like AJ wasn't. What I do worry about is finding out he can't get off the LOS. That would be the death knell. But I trust our GM and HC and believe if they liked him that well, then....well, he just wasn't mature enough last yr...physically or emotionally. That part he has to get right. If not, well, HC/GM failed. But I don't think so.

I expect fully to see AJ in for every snap, and also for him to snag everything thrown his way. In a word, I expect him to be.....excellent. If not, we are still loaded at WR and TE, not to mention frank, LMJ, and the remainder of our RBs. With our without AJ we have a surfeit of ball catchers. If AJ doesn't make it , no big deal. I don't believe that will happen tho, and I think AJ has an excellent yr, nailing down the #2. He's fast, big hands, and gives us the vertical game, plus he could equally play in the slot as a possession receiver. I cannot wait to see how this all shakes out. I'm betting on AJ.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I would hope the playbook doesn't keep AJ off the field. If he can't learn the playbook in basically 1 and a half yrs, then we chose the wrong guy. I tend to favor his naiveity(sp) with the fact that windows are so tiny, DBs are so fast, DBs, LBs, CBs are so strong. Sure a lot of college guys underestimate the NFL ..so fast, so tough, so exacting. It shouldn't be that way unless the collegiate is just not paying attention...and it looks like AJ wasn't. What I do worry about is finding out he can't get off the LOS. That would be the death knell. But I trust our GM and HC and believe if they liked him that well, then....well, he just wasn't mature enough last yr...physically or emotionally. That part he has to get right. If not, well, HC/GM failed. But I don't think so.

I expect fully to see AJ in for every snap, and also for him to snag everything thrown his way. In a word, I expect him to be.....excellent. If not, we are still loaded at WR and TE, not to mention frank, LMJ, and the remainder of our RBs. With our without AJ we have a surfeit of ball catchers. If AJ doesn't make it , no big deal. I don't believe that will happen tho, and I think AJ has an excellent yr, nailing down the #2. He's fast, big hands, and gives us the vertical game, plus he could equally play in the slot as a possession receiver. I cannot wait to see how this all shakes out. I'm betting on AJ.
hope the doc is right, plus there may be a need he can fill in the punt return or kick return game. kick off we are pretty solid with hunter james and my favorite guy in moore but punt return bothers me if kyle is not healthy
He wouldn't be the first person to start with a slow learning curve and then surprise people.

It looks like the whole thing intimidated him a little, the playbook was going to take him time, and he found out he would have to get a little stronger.

He spent the offseason with Kaep, knows the playbook, is said to be a little stronger, and might just know how to play now at this level more.

Lets hope it isn't Rashaun Woods syndrome and its just the calm before the storm.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erWay:
He wouldn't be the first person to start with a slow learning curve and then surprise people.

It looks like the whole thing intimidated him a little, the playbook was going to take him time, and he found out he would have to get a little stronger.

He spent the offseason with Kaep, knows the playbook, is said to be a little stronger, and might just know how to play now at this level more.

Lets hope it isn't Rashaun Woods syndrome and its just the calm before the storm.
well i think his work ethic is already better than woods ever was so that is a good place to start. the only way you could coax woods out of his f**king womb was to tie a fish at the end of a string and dangle it out there for him
Hope this kid comes to play this season!
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 49erWay:

well i think his work ethic is already better than woods ever was so that is a good place to start. the only way you could coax woods out of his f**king womb was to tie a fish at the end of a string and dangle it out there for him

Woods was a quitter like Coffee and Balmer

You can already sense that AJ is no quitter and wants to be good. His dad got him through the tough year last year, he's put on 10 pounds of muscle, has made several outstanding catchings in OTAs, and developed a good rapport with Kaep working out with him.

He may or may not ever live up to his draft spot, time will tell, but he is light years ahead of that waste of a carbon life form bass fisherman
Excellent points people!

It makes MUCH more sense to have Williams in the slot. The depth chart right now means nothing and is usually based on nothing more than seniority. If that was the case, then VD would be ahead of some of these guys at WR given he's been practicing there as well. This is how is should shape up.

X = A.J. Jenkins/Ricardo Lockette
Y (slot) = Quinton Patton/Kyle Williams
Z = Anquan Boldin
PUP = Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree

It's an excellent point about AJ once the pads go on. Can he out-muscle a Dick Sherman at the LOS? Most likely, he won't be able to but he can mimick Manningham's game and create excellent separation by quickness and explosion off the LOS...it's all technique and hand-fighting, cutting, diguising your routes, studying the CB's you'll be facing, knowig our game plan, when you will be featured/called on, etc.

I like the things I'm hearing about him so far this offseason. Hopefully it will carry over into training camp, preseason and eventually the regular season. It sure has never been a question of speed with him. He's a very fast WR. And I don't personally think he is as useless as described on this board. He was real productive at Illinois with good hands and good route running. I think there is a little game in there. I'm not sure how much. I do hope he makes big strides this year though. I'm at least hopeful with some of the things I hear.
Cowturds just signed Junkins

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000494094/article/cowboys-signing-wideout-aj-jenkins?campaign=Twitter_ATN_Sessler

BTW Mods feel free to move this junk to NFL Talk. Dont know why this crappy thread is still in Niner Talk
[ Edited by Tru2RedNGold25 on May 26, 2015 at 8:34 AM ]
Good for him and bad for them.

Why's he still in the league?
Why???? Cole Beasley the Cowboys third receiver is 5 times better than this guy.
Mods, move this to NFL talk
Share 49ersWebzone