LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LVJay:
I hear ya... all I really have is (hope). I can't say he's going to be good because he hasn't shown anything yet (everything's speculation). AND, one dropped pass isn't enough for me to say he's a total bust (not yet). I know he couldn't get on the field even after the two injuries (Manningham/Williams) and Chad Hall even got more playing time, but I want to see what happens in training camp/pre-season games before anything.

Still, if he's just weak off the LOS and didn't "fully attack the weight room" (according to Baalke), then what EXACTLY were those "unfortunate situations" Baalke was talking about?

I personally think Baalke was rationalizing his "reach" pick. He, after all, was Baalke's personal choice not Harbaugh's. That said A J seems to have worked on his body this year. I am however still inclined to be conservative in my expectations. He may not have the right type of body to add muscle without it also impeding his speed. Then again it could also increase his on field playing speed since he would be stronger and the added weight of the pads wouldn't be less of a hinderence. We don't really know if the added muscle will make him strong enough. I mean there are other wr in the NFL that are his size and yet still have the strength to get off the line. That's why I am also inclined to wait till training camp before I make my judgement as to his future.
I still wish he would have gotten some training tips from Jerry. What made him great was that he was a very strong runner before the catch throughout contact with defenders during and after the catch. And he never tired during the fourth quarter and he outworked his opponents. He grew up running he trained running hills and he is still running. I hope AJ is ready nonetheless
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I still wish he would have gotten some training tips from Jerry. What made him great was that he was a very strong runner before the catch throughout contact with defenders during and after the catch. And he never tired during the fourth quarter and he outworked his opponents. He grew up running he trained running hills and he is still running. I hope AJ is ready nonetheless

Yup. He continued the high motor through the catch. whereas most WRs slightly slow down. That's why Rice, despite his speed, always burned everyone. His reaction time and reflexes were off the charts and still are today.

He was also fearless of hits because he used to corral horses on foot when he was younger as part of one of his jobs. If you aren't scared of 2,000 pound horses running at full speed, WTF is a linebacker.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I think the "unfortunate situation" had something to do with Jenkins not being able to participate right away due to the rules about college graduation dates.
I really do trust Baalke and co. though...
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I think the "unfortunate situation" had something to do with Jenkins not being able to participate right away due to the rules about college graduation dates.

I'm pretty sure that quote was right after the 2012 draft, and Baalke was referring to several nagging injuries that AJ suffered in college, which kept him from entering the league with an NFL body. Last offseason, he didn't know what he was in for until May, so he didn't have as much time to bulk up as he had this offseason. JMHO
A DOUBLE J! Hoping he proves all the doubters wrong this year. I really think he has the speed to take the top off a defense
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by willtalk:
Originally posted by LVJay:
I hear ya... all I really have is (hope). I can't say he's going to be good because he hasn't shown anything yet (everything's speculation). AND, one dropped pass isn't enough for me to say he's a total bust (not yet). I know he couldn't get on the field even after the two injuries (Manningham/Williams) and Chad Hall even got more playing time, but I want to see what happens in training camp/pre-season games before anything.

Still, if he's just weak off the LOS and didn't "fully attack the weight room" (according to Baalke), then what EXACTLY were those "unfortunate situations" Baalke was talking about?

I personally think Baalke was rationalizing his "reach" pick. He, after all, was Baalke's personal choice not Harbaugh's. That said A J seems to have worked on his body this year. I am however still inclined to be conservative in my expectations. He may not have the right type of body to add muscle without it also impeding his speed. Then again it could also increase his on field playing speed since he would be stronger and the added weight of the pads wouldn't be less of a hinderence. We don't really know if the added muscle will make him strong enough. I mean there are other wr in the NFL that are his size and yet still have the strength to get off the line. That's why I am also inclined to wait till training camp before I make my judgement as to his future.

Good POV, but do you know exactly what was his issue (why didn't he workout with Rice or go all out in training camp/weight room)? I'm wondering if he was recovering from lingering injuries and/or had a disclosed injury after he got drafted and what not.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/05/the-skinny-aj-jenkins-muscled-up-this-offseason.html#
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SD49ers:
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
I actually have a lot of faith in Jenkins, being from the midwest I have seen almost every college game he played. When he was a freshman and sophmore, you could see natural talent, but he just hadnt gotten it yet. AJ has kinda been a slow starter in that regard. This kid was an absolute beast but has been living on natural talent and is just in the last 2 years learning what it means to be a professional. Not unlike many players in this league. This is still a developmental league. When the light turned on at illinois AJ dominated everyone and they had the worst QB play in the country. I think he is gonna have a really fine year, im excited because not only does he have real speed, but he has blazing football speed. He is flat out fast in pads. I can see him getting 45-55 rec this year.

Thank you!! Great insight. I agree, I don't know him well at all, but he's already bulked up ans had time to practice with Kap. Wr's notoriously take a long time to "catch on" in the NFL.

I hope that light turned on and it shows in camp/pre-season games and carries over...
Sounding good so far hope he gets on the field and does well this season, I hope that with any player the niners have.

AJ is going to prove so many of you here wrong, I cant wait!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
i think of kirby turning into a rock and smashing someone in smash bros when i see this lol

^ LOL who is that?

FLYING LEG DROP!!
Share 49ersWebzone