LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 295 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I never thought Crabtree was a bust, but that's just me. He was ready to play immediately after his rookie holdout. Didn't even need training camp. He just showed up and less than a week later he was our #1 receiver. He really broke out when his foot healed completely, and he started playing for a coach who knows a thing or two about offense.

I will admit I did put him in the bust catergory I thought he was a headcase after the holdout, I didn't like that he skipped tc constantly, but there is nothing i love more then being proven wrong when its for the better.
I'm still hopeful for the guy for the fact we didn't see anything of Lamichael James until they absolutely needed him, and he showed that he was a very good RB. I think we won't know what AJ is capable of until he's given a real opportunity to show it, like James did.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I never thought Crabtree was a bust, but that's just me. He was ready to play immediately after his rookie holdout. Didn't even need training camp. He just showed up and less than a week later he was our #1 receiver. He really broke out when his foot healed completely, and he started playing for a coach who knows a thing or two about offense.

I will admit I did put him in the bust catergory I thought he was a headcase after the holdout, I didn't like that he skipped tc constantly, but there is nothing i love more then being proven wrong when its for the better.

I was very critical of Crabtree, but wouldnt necissarily call him a Bust, He was always a solid WR from day one. The thing most people were critical of was that he seemed to lack work ethic, and wasnt living up to the potential he was drafted for.The hold out, the foot injurys, which alot of us saw as evidence of lack of offseason work ethic, and staying in shape, etc. Bust wasnt really a label that could be accurately used.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
I'm still hopeful for the guy for the fact we didn't see anything of Lamichael James until they absolutely needed him, and he showed that he was a very good RB. I think we won't know what AJ is capable of until he's given a real opportunity to show it, like James did.

The problem ith that is LMJ had Frank Gore and Hunter ahead of him.

Jenkins had Crabtree, a washed up Moss, a never healthy Manningham, and KW, both of which ad season ending injurys. Hell at the end of the season Ginn and Hall ended up ahead of him on the depth chart.

I hope he works out, i really do, but if i said his rookie season wasnt worrisome i would be lieing.
This is AJ's make or break 49er career year, if he flops, the 9ers will look elsewhere. If he succeeds which i really really hope he does and I have to feel he will then he could be a nice #3 for us.
Originally posted by xtm059:
Jenkins' body of work is not good. There's a reason hall was on the field. AJ jenkins did not put in the effort required to be a starting WR last year. That's just a fact. Hopefully he learned his goddamn lesson and is in the weight room right now. If not, bust.

Jenkins was hampered by the fact that because of 2 things, one didn't get to participate in TC because of the NFL rules regarding a draftees graduating class. that set him back. Then he had Crab, Manningham Williams and Moss in front of him getting the reps because of their veteran status. Hard to grow, like Kaep, you need to get on the field to really grow. As for Hall, he brought something very specific that the niners wanted from to the field for that short stretch, so said Harbaugh in an interview. Even a seasoned vet like Bolden talked about chemistry, he was with Flaco for what? Three seasons, took him awhile to build it, and it was only because they fired the O coordinator and the one one let things fly. I will agree he needs to work it, but not in the weight room, needs to develope chemistry and rapoort with Kaep. Now that Kaep is in there and williams and manningham will be out for a while he will get the coaching and reps needed to move on.

I give another case in point LMJ, only after Jacobs got in the dog house and was cut and Hunter went down along with Ginn and Williams did he see the field and given a chance.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Jenkins was hampered by the fact that because of 2 things, one didn't get to participate in TC because of the NFL rules regarding a draftees graduating class. that set him back. Then he had Crab, Manningham Williams and Moss in front of him getting the reps because of their veteran status. Hard to grow, like Kaep, you need to get on the field to really grow. As for Hall, he brought something very specific that the niners wanted from to the field for that short stretch, so said Harbaugh in an interview. Even a seasoned vet like Bolden talked about chemistry, he was with Flaco for what? Three seasons, took him awhile to build it, and it was only because they fired the O coordinator and the one one let things fly. I will agree he needs to work it, but not in the weight room, needs to develope chemistry and rapoort with Kaep. Now that Kaep is in there and williams and manningham will be out for a while he will get the coaching and reps needed to move on.

I give another case in point LMJ, only after Jacobs got in the dog house and was cut and Hunter went down along with Ginn and Williams did he see the field and given a chance.

I hope you are right. It is a very logical point you have made
Harbaugh is on record that Jenkins will be great and that hes taken down the names of those in the media that say otherwise. I'll trust in coach for the time being because I know hes doing everything to get Jenkins on the field.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Receivers take about 3 yrs to develop look at Crabtree lots of people called him a bust

Lmao Crabtree contributed way more his rookie year even with his hold out and it's not even close
You knew Crabtree was gonna be good when he showed up in Houston without tc and preseason with the little sample he showed us with those 5 catches I believe. It was him being healthy and a qb that just allowed him to make plays that got him to play at pro bowl level, damn I'm hoping Jenkins can be legit

Jenkins will have a breakout year this season. Book it.

3 catches 14 yards
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Receivers take about 3 yrs to develop look at Crabtree lots of people called him a bust

Lmao Crabtree contributed way more his rookie year even with his hold out and it's not even close

ya crabs is a bad example to use lol. the only thing that sucked about crabs was that he didnt practice in training camp a couple years and slapped balls up in the air for picks too often.
I don't know anymore than anyone else. But baalke has taken some weird picks, all way better than what I wanted, and Kap and Aldon are but two of them. Never doubt baalke's ability to get blood out of a turnip. The other obvious thing we all overlook, is for whatever research we have done...ok, some of us do none...nobody looks at as much film as baalke, and somebody out there scouting college guys knows his business. Hey, maybe AJ catches fire and becomes all pro. Yeah, odds are he won't, but is it he can't learn plays, can't run routes, has stone hands....or a combo of all the above? I know one thing. For baalke to go AJ for #1, even tho the 30th pick in first rd, I trust baalke to have done the right thing. We just have to see how it plays out. Of the above, not being able to learn plays and routes would be the biggest worry for me. The kid has to have good hands, or trent wouldn't have picked him. Curious thing what is the problem?
AJ's problem is his lack of strength. He's too weak right now. If he ever gets sterdier & stronger, which i assume is is and will, maybe he can become a nice #3 or #2 in the Future but so far looks like a wasted pick
AJ just needs to work on the level of say, a Marvin Harrison
Share 49ersWebzone