There are 137 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
It's amazing how nobody around here seems to think going from Ponder to Wilson for a WR's QB will make any difference. It sure didn't make any difference going from Smith to Kaepernick for Crabtree, right?

Can someone explain any logical reasoning as to why Harvin wouldn't have improved play with Wilson? Also, anybody that wants to point out attitude problems, don't forget how long Crabtree held out on you guys for...as a rookie..I'm not trolling or trying to start a fight, I just am honestly curious why so many are writing off Harvin. His migraine issues are licked, and he has publicly disparaged Ponder who we all know is a mediocre QB at best. Frankly, I see very little cause for concern. Before the ankle, he missed 3 games due to injury in his career. Hardly a big injury history.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
... percy harvin

The 25th best WR in the league for a first rounder?

Pretty steep.

He's either a top 10 WR or not playing due to injury. But I guess, on average, 25th best is about right.

Here are 10 receivers i would take over Harvin, injured or not:

Megatron
Andre Johnson
Julio Jones
AJ Green
Roddy White
Brandon Marshall
Dez Bryant
Demaryius Thomas
Victor Cruz
Mike Wallace

I could go on. Harvin isn't that good. Not sure why they gave up that much for him.

I think I have Harvin ranked higher than you, as well as Michael Crabtree. Here's my list above Harvin...

Megatron
Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
Julio Jones
AJ Green
Roddy White
Brandon Marshall
Dez Bryant
Demaryius Thomas
Michael Crabtree
Originally posted by RolandDeschain:
It's amazing how nobody around here seems to think going from Ponder to Wilson for a WR's QB will make any difference. It sure didn't make any difference going from Smith to Kaepernick for Crabtree, right?

Can someone explain any logical reasoning as to why Harvin wouldn't have improved play with Wilson? Also, anybody that wants to point out attitude problems, don't forget how long Crabtree held out on you guys for...as a rookie..I'm not trolling or trying to start a fight, I just am honestly curious why so many are writing off Harvin. His migraine issues are licked, and he has publicly disparaged Ponder who we all know is a mediocre QB at best. Frankly, I see very little cause for concern. Before the ankle, he missed 3 games due to injury in his career. Hardly a big injury history.

Dark Tower:

I think Percy Harvin was a really good pick up. The cost was high, but his ceiling is really, really high. I think he's better than Mike Wallace, and you guys got him cheaper (contract wise). But factor in the draft compensation, it remains to be seen. I'm sure he'll improve going to Wilson, but I think you may be underselling Ponder. Until Harvin went down, he had the best comp % in the league (because of the short passes to him and AP) and was having a good season. Harvin should be a good player for the next few years, but his size is concerning, especially for a long term deal.

For what it's worth, I would have made the same trade (before the Anquan Boldin trade happened) for Harvin. In hindsight, the Boldin deal is significantly more palatable for our team, especially given the great unknown of AJ Jenkins.

Good to have 'enemy' fans that are actually knowledgeable and not just trolls. I'm sure we'll be fighting tooth and nail all year
... percy harvin

Pretty steep.

He's either a top 10 WR or not playing due to injury. But I guess, on average, 25th best is about right.

Here are 10 receivers i would take over Harvin, injured or not:

Megatron
Andre Johnson
Julio Jones
AJ Green
Roddy White
Brandon Marshall
Dez Bryant
Demaryius Thomas
Victor Cruz
Mike Wallace

I could go on. Harvin isn't that good. Not sure why they gave up that much for him.

I think I have Harvin ranked higher than you, as well as Michael Crabtree. Here's my list above Harvin...

Megatron
Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
Julio Jones
AJ Green
Roddy White
Brandon Marshall
Dez Bryant
Demaryius Thomas
Michael Crabtree

In no particular order

Megatron
Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
Julio Jones
AJ Green
Roddy White
Brandon Marshall
Dez Bryant
Demaryius Thomas
Michael Crabtree
Victor Cruz
Hakeem Nicks
Mike Wallace
Wes Welker (for now at least)
Vincent Jackson
Justin Blackmon (team sux but he's still better than Harvin)
Greg Jennings

Nobody in here disagrees with this. But no matter how you try and spin it, you traded a bunch of picks for a guy who hasnt broken 1000 yards as a number one wr, and had a medical condition, whether its under control or not, and a guy who is demanding mega millions.

You came in here to say seanut fans think harbaugh cripple AJ by not playing him.

Maybe, but thats isn't as crippleing as trading for a kick returner who can play WR and RB.
Dark Tower:

I think Percy Harvin was a really good pick up. The cost was high, but his ceiling is really, really high. I think he's better than Mike Wallace, and you guys got him cheaper (contract wise). But factor in the draft compensation, it remains to be seen. I'm sure he'll improve going to Wilson, but I think you may be underselling Ponder. Until Harvin went down, he had the best comp % in the league (because of the short passes to him and AP) and was having a good season. Harvin should be a good player for the next few years, but his size is concerning, especially for a long term deal.

For what it's worth, I would have made the same trade (before the Anquan Boldin trade happened) for Harvin. In hindsight, the Boldin deal is significantly more palatable for our team, especially given the great unknown of AJ Jenkins.

Good to have 'enemy' fans that are actually knowledgeable and not just trolls. I'm sure we'll be fighting tooth and nail all year

Long days and pleasant nights, sai. :)

Harvin's not built like a bulldog, that is for sure; but presumably, he wouldn't have his ridiculous burner speed if he was. He's pretty close to Jerry Rice's build for his height; Rice was 6'2", 200 lbs, and Harvin's 5'11", 184 lbs. (Nobody get started on me comparing Harvin to Rice, I'm talking strictly about physical build as it relates to durability/injury likeliness.)

We'll just have to wait and see; but assuming he's healthy the whole year, I'll be surprised if he doesn't crack a thousand yards. Honestly, though, I'm not even disappointed if he doesn't, if he hits 1,500+ all-purpose yards. We could get very creative with him in the backfield, potentially. Let's say for the same of argument that he finishes with 971 yards receiving, 11 passing touchdowns, 5 rushing touchdowns, and 2 return touchdowns. Is anybody going to argue that he's not worth the price we paid (picks and $) if he brings that every year? Heck no.

Nobody in here disagrees with this. But no matter how you try and spin it, you traded a bunch of picks for a guy who hasnt broken 1000 yards as a number one wr, and had a medical condition, whether its under control or not, and a guy who is demanding mega millions.

You came in here to say seanut fans think harbaugh cripple AJ by not playing him.

Maybe, but thats isn't as crippleing as trading for a kick returner who can play WR and RB.

Yes, we paid a hefty price in terms of the picks, and a relatively expensive though not mind-blowingly so price in dollars for him, which luckily is not back-loaded, for a guy who has yet to break 1,000 yards receiving in a single year. What's your point? That he's not proven? Before his ankle injury (where he was likely IR'd due to conflicts with his head coach more than anything, honestly) he was on track to blow way past a thousand yards. Watch his highlights, the dude is explosive for yards after the catch. Given a real QB, I think you'll be surprised by his production. We shall see. I think you're hoping he won't produce much more than expecting, though.
Long days and pleasant nights, sai. :)

Harvin's not built like a bulldog, that is for sure; but presumably, he wouldn't have his ridiculous burner speed if he was. He's pretty close to Jerry Rice's build for his height; Rice was 6'2", 200 lbs, and Harvin's 5'11", 184 lbs. (Nobody get started on me comparing Harvin to Rice, I'm talking strictly about physical build as it relates to durability/injury likeliness.)

We'll just have to wait and see; but assuming he's healthy the whole year, I'll be surprised if he doesn't crack a thousand yards. Honestly, though, I'm not even disappointed if he doesn't, if he hits 1,500+ all-purpose yards. We could get very creative with him in the backfield, potentially. Let's say for the same of argument that he finishes with 971 yards receiving, 11 passing touchdowns, 5 rushing touchdowns, and 2 return touchdowns. Is anybody going to argue that he's not worth the price we paid (picks and $) if he brings that every year? Heck no.

Yes, we paid a hefty price in terms of the picks, and a relatively expensive though not mind-blowingly so price in dollars for him, which luckily is not back-loaded, for a guy who has yet to break 1,000 yards receiving in a single year. What's your point? That he's not proven? Before his ankle injury (where he was likely IR'd due to conflicts with his head coach more than anything, honestly) he was on track to blow way past a thousand yards. Watch his highlights, the dude is explosive for yards after the catch. Given a real QB, I think you'll be surprised by his production. We shall see. I think you're hoping he won't produce much more than expecting, though.
My point is he hasn't proven anything worth a first round pick, not to mention the other picks SEA sacrificed I know he can be explosive, when he's out there. That was another one of my points. He is sort of injury prone.
wonder how early we draft another WR in this draft? Jenkins will be fine, the sky is not falling after 1 year of not playing but they still need to restock the receiver position. some size and speed. crabs and boldin are solid but not burners, jenkins is pretty fast but the jury is still out on him, kyle and mario are quick but undersized and i dont think theyll both be on the team when the season starts.
... percy harvin

Pretty steep.

Top ten? Since when? Not even close to a top ten WR.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
... percy harvin

Pretty steep.

Top 10 returner but not close to top 10 at wide receiver.

Pretty sure that was a blunder trade.

I think that AJ last offseason was away from OTAs for a bit due to academic obligations and NCAA rules and this delayed some of his offseason and once he and LMJ got in with the guys, they were behind. This offseason it won't be a problem. I am hoping that last season serves as a wake up call and he works his tail off and becomes what we envisioned him to be. We need him to perform as he is capable.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
... percy harvin

Pretty steep.

Percy Harvin 2012

His stats up until his injury @ Seattle were pretty good, probably about 10th in terms of yards. The TDs were kind of low though. But the best part of ability is availability, so he's probably a top 25 WR.
More money than Anquan for an untested season long player. Lots more money and lots more yrs. This was a stab at sticking it to the 49ers, and i will be anxious to see the egg on SEA faces when harvin comes up hurt. It will be exactly how he played in MN. Frankly, I would have been really frustrated if the 9ers picked up his longer contract and higher $$ with his medical no play history. We done good passing on him. My money is that trent and jH never gave him more than a quick glance and said no. Anquan is a totally different signing. And besides, now we don't have to play against Anquan next yr....and he personally beat us in the SB.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
-bust

LOL how is that?
Some players need more time to be groomed then others... T.O. didnt make it big until his 4th season with the Niners... I mean look who he was playing under right. Give the man time and lets see what happens.
Originally posted by Constantine:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
-bust

LOL how is that?
Some players need more time to be groomed then others... T.O. didnt make it big until his 4th season with the Niners... I mean look who he was playing under right. Give the man time and lets see what happens.

T.O Made an impact his rookie year ??? Owens and Stokes were our WR's after Jerry got hurt against Tampa Bay, 35 receptions and 4 TD's as a rookie wasnt too shabby , wish A.J could have put up rookie numbers like that
[ Edited by NeeJ49er on Mar 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone