LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Aussie49ah:
Guy definitely needs to put on some weight or just get stronger. Hopefully he doesn't have that body type that will just never put on weight no matter what ya do....

They said he broke his hand in college so he couldn't work out.
Originally posted by Squidp:
Was listening to KNBR last night after the game and I believe they had Kevin Lynch on. He was saying AJ had similar issues at Illinois when he first arrived. He said he just wasn't ready for big game but once he does get it he will flourish.

This I trust Balke and Harbaugh. Give him some time. If he is the same next training camp and season, then it is time to possibly say wasted pick. He has blazing speed which can't be taught. I trust the coaches to develop the talent.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Aussie49ah:
Guy definitely needs to put on some weight or just get stronger. Hopefully he doesn't have that body type that will just never put on weight no matter what ya do....

They said he broke his hand in college so he couldn't work out.

Fair enough. Hopefully should seen some increase in size by the offseason. Either way I liked what I saw from him and kap in pre season and they seem to get along well on the sidelines. So lets hope they workout all offseason and Aj silences some critics next year.

And leads my fantasy team to stardom lol
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by Squidp:
Was listening to KNBR last night after the game and I believe they had Kevin Lynch on. He was saying AJ had similar issues at Illinois when he first arrived. He said he just wasn't ready for big game but once he does get it he will flourish.

This I trust Balke and Harbaugh. Give him some time. If he is the same next training camp and season, then it is time to possibly say wasted pick. He has blazing speed which can't be taught. I trust the coaches to develop the talent.
I'm going with this, too, in trusting Baalke and Harbaugh. They're not always going to be right in their player judgments, but I'm always going to give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise (they know a lot more about this than us).

I just hope Jenkins is tapping into the knowledge and experience that Randy Moss offers - it sounds like Moss has been kind of a player-coach this year and our team has definitely benefitted. Jenkins should be right next to Moss all the time, in his ear asking questions, learning, etc.

Remember when Jenkins was drafted, how he said one of the first things he was going to do was get in touch with Jerry Rice and seek his guidance about the WR position, run "The Hill" with Rice, etc.? I wonder if Jenkins ever did that? He has the resources right around him to help him understand the NFL game at WR and become a productive player for the team.
I'll give the guy this off season to work on it but he better start helping the cause next year!
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Look at LMJ. He didn't get his shot until Hunter went down. Reminds me of what Jerry Sloan did with his rookies, let them sit and learn. The year we drafted Derron Williams he sat behind Derrick Fisher all year. Drove me nuts.

I mean it's taken Crabtree a #10 pick 4 seasons to "get it". WR position is a very hard position to learn. Does Harbaugh trust a rookie to come in and not make a critical mistake or a veteran? Honestly I just think we are letting him sit and learn. Next year we will see what the kid actually has.

I don't expect him to be a "great" receiver anyways, but more as a piece to this offense. A possession receiver who can stretch the field with his speed.

Agreed.......... again, I just hope he pans out. Speed kills and another weapon for CK would be awesome!!!
Aj is gonna be fine, I watched almost every college game he played. By the time he was a senior, which he did not redshirt which is why he just turned 23, he was an absolute stud. Some guys develop a little slower. He is no project trust me. When he gets it, he will burn! This kid went from nothing to catching 96 balls by his senior year on an absolutely horrid Illinois team. This kid can fly just as well as Desean Jackson, He doesnt just run a 4.3 he has 4.3 football speed. I realize we havent gotten to see it yet, but barring health we will. He is never gonna be a physical receiver, his frame is slight. Harbaugh got him especially for Kap! As a gift. wait an see!!!!
Originally posted by Shaj:
Reminds me of Rashaun Woods.

too soon bro
Lovin the voices of reason...

What we know is that he was not prepared when he got his shot, but we aren't sure why and Harbaugh keeps things in house so it's not like we are gonna find out. His losing out on playing time is likely due to the perception formed by the coaches when he did get his shot. Since the MM injury, the coaches are looking for someone who can contribute right now, Jenkins got his shot and did nothing to gain the trust of the coaches so its next man up. Ginn got his shot and didn't do much, then Hall got his. Harbaugh is an equal opportunity coach when it comes to finding players to step up.

Jenkins has great potential and we have great coaches, as we've seen time and time again in the Harbaalke era it works itself out. Don't get me wrong, he has allot of ground to cover to justify his draft slot, but if you told me we were gonna land a WR with mid 4.3 speed, good routes, strong hands and production in college I'd say pull the trigger. After re-watching some of games on YouTube, the talent is there but his attitude and mental fortitude need I be developed. Get this kid in some boxing classes to cultivate that.
Activate him for the big game and hope Ravens forget about him

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Magzarillious:

i understand the want and need to support him but he does nothing, at the very least you call this a learning year for him. i do not believe that, i believe it was a horrible pick but lets see what he does in the off season. i am sure glad i was wrong about the james pick at two being a bad pick.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Magzarillious:

i understand the want and need to support him but he does nothing, at the very least you call this a learning year for him. i do not believe that, i believe it was a horrible pick but lets see what he does in the off season. i am sure glad i was wrong about the james pick at two being a bad pick.

even the best Gms make bad picks here and there...the mark of a good GM is to identify that bad pick and correct it as soon as possible. He'll have this off season to demonstrate that he is at least the 5th best WR on the team this coming season....or he will be gone.
Didnt we all have this kind of skeptism towards Kap when he threw 5INTs in preseason his rookie year and were all afraid to see Alex smith get hurt cause that would mean bringing in this rookie?
I say give him til next season and then we'll comeback to the thread and talk about how bad of a pick her was
I loved the James pick, but unfortunately I also loved the AJ pick. Little did I know that "AJ and catching a football" are two things that never appear together.
I think he'll end up being a good receiver. Remember he was getting a hell of a lot of separation in the preseason. Now that was against 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers, but still he did show some promise. I just think he needs some time to develop and he also needs to get much stronger. I don't think he is ready to beat the press. Has to put on some bulk.
Share 49ersWebzone