LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 318 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
you guys are seriously still doubting this coaching staff????

lmao, give it time, we don't need jenkins to be a star immediately

They will make mistakes. Akers and Jacobs come to mind.

i dont like morton as the WR coach. i think we should try for a WR guru next season, if there are any out there

Morton has done just fine. We made it work last season with a makeshift receiving corps all season. Not to mention Crabtree has continued to get better and better under Morton. I'm sure having Randy has helped a little this season but you could see Crabtree making strides last season and begining to develop into a more complete receiver then. At the begining of this season when everybody was healthy, our receivers looked really solid. Lots of great coaches miss on talented players all the time and thats because everybody that enters the NFL is talented. Sometimes its about commitment from the player and less about the coaching.

With that said, we need to be patient. This kid is still very young. I thought it was understood when we drafted him, we were drafting for potential and not immediate success. Look at how terrible Heyward-Bey was his rookie season when the Raiders drafted him. He hasn't developed into a stud or anything but he is a dependable deep threat for the team and has had a couple decent seasons. He probably would have had an even better season with some better quarterback play this year. This is of course all moot anyhow, because the point is. Be patient, we haven't needed this kid to have his moment yet so give it time and see how hard he works for it in the offseason.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
you guys are seriously still doubting this coaching staff????

lmao, give it time, we don't need jenkins to be a star immediately

They will make mistakes. Akers and Jacobs come to mind.

i dont like morton as the WR coach. i think we should try for a WR guru next season, if there are any out there

Morton has done just fine. We made it work last season with a makeshift receiving corps all season. Not to mention Crabtree has continued to get better and better under Morton. I'm sure having Randy has helped a little this season but you could see Crabtree making strides last season and begining to develop into a more complete receiver then. At the begining of this season when everybody was healthy, our receivers looked really solid. Lots of great coaches miss on talented players all the time and thats because everybody that enters the NFL is talented. Sometimes its about commitment from the player and less about the coaching.

With that said, we need to be patient. This kid is still very young. I thought it was understood when we drafted him, we were drafting for potential and not immediate success. Look at how terrible Heyward-Bey was his rookie season when the Raiders drafted him. He hasn't developed into a stud or anything but he is a dependable deep threat for the team and has had a couple decent seasons. He probably would have had an even better season with some better quarterback play this year. This is of course all moot anyhow, because the point is. Be patient, we haven't needed this kid to have his moment yet so give it time and see how hard he works for it in the offseason.

When I started reading this, well, I thought the first paragraph was very good and you made some important points.

And then you brought up Heyward-Bey, easily the worst WR in all of football. And it just blew whatever point you were trying to make.

"Look how terrible Heyward-Bey WAS?" Look how terrible Heyward-Bey IS!

In the words of that ESPN feature: "C'MON MAN!"
Originally posted by billbird2111:
When I started reading this, well, I thought the first paragraph was very good and you made some important points.

And then you brought up Heyward-Bey, easily the worst WR in all of football. And it just blew whatever point you were trying to make.

"Look how terrible Heyward-Bey WAS?" Look how terrible Heyward-Bey IS!

In the words of that ESPN feature: "C'MON MAN!"

No, that would be Braylon Edwards
Jenkins will have to put in a lot of work in the off season to get stronger both physically and mentally. I think it is mental as much as anything, I don't think he can grasp the offense yet and react fast enough to actually play the game.
Originally posted by dj43:
When you consider how many rookie wideouts made substantial contributions to their teams this season, it is clear that Jenkins is a bust at this point. Someone was definitely snowed on the scouting reports on this guy. There should have been something about his attitude or work ethic that should have been picked up in the interview process.

I'm seeing Baalke drafting at least two big WRs this year.

with all those draft picks I think another WR or two will be drafted. AJ jenkins? The jury is still out. I always wonder where these solid Green Bay Packers WR's come from and it is possible they too are drafted and don't play or do much their first year or two, then they pop up out of nowhere. Sometimes it does take time.
He's had one pass thrown his way. Only one. Reserve judgement until he has 3 or 4 thrown his way .
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
He's had one pass thrown his way. Only one. Reserve judgement until he has 3 or 4 thrown his way .

This. Good point.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 21, 2013 at 3:47 AM ]
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
with all those draft picks I think another WR or two will be drafted. AJ jenkins? The jury is still out. I always wonder where these solid Green Bay Packers WR's come from and it is possible they too are drafted and don't play or do much their first year or two, then they pop up out of nowhere. Sometimes it does take time.

I think it's just good scouting and the coaches giving them opportunities to succeed. The Giants have had a lot of success drafting WRs of late also. I think some players just lack the confidence early. Not too long ago Roddy White was looking like another 1st round bust for ATL, but it finally seemed to click for him. Jenkins seems to be overwhelmed right now. Hall probably beat him out because he as hungrier. This offseason should be pivotal for Jenkins. Hopefully the game slows down for him and he gains some chemistry with Kaepernick.

Earlier in the season LMJ also looked lost at times. I think AJ will be alright once the game starts to slow down. His college coach said the same thing when he was drafted. He has to be really comfortable in an offense before he starts making plays. I think another WR early would be a smart move though. I wouldn't bet on Moss coming back, Ginn either, and Manningham will be slowed early next year.
Still can't believe we passed on Fleener for this chump!
[ Edited by NYCNINER on Jan 21, 2013 at 4:01 AM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Reminds me of Rashaun Woods.

Originally posted by NYCNINER:
Still can't believe we passed on Fleener for this chump!

we passed on quite a few good players. I was impressed with Peter Konz last night as well.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

No problem... Will do that as soon as he gets his butt on the field... Oh wait our Practice squad player Hall is out there instead.
It speaks volumes that a practice squad player gets the nod over a #1 draft pick. Let's not rush to judgments, give him an offseason and training camp and then make a decision.
Man, this thread blows. Not that it was a bad idea, but it brings me down thinking about whether or not AJ is a bust or even that he has not contributed yet as would be expected from his draft slot. I hope he can do more next season, but I want to focus my thoughts on the opportunity next Sunday. Some of you guys are stronger than I am and can talk about this at a time like this but I don't know if I have the courage. It has been a long season and very rewarding thus far, but this situation has truly been a drag.
He must of been having a bad week of practice to sit in favor of Chad Hall
Share 49ersWebzone