LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
Typical Webzone.

Large servings of overreaction and hyperbole. Too much time between games, I guess. I almost wish the Niners didn't have a bye.

"AJ doesn't know the playbook", "AJ doesn't know where to line up, etc." How do you know? He was slow in responding to one change-of-play as far as I saw. He isn't the fist player to miss, or not hear, a QB's audible and have to be reminded. Haven't we all seen even veterans redirected? I've seen Gore, VD, others motioned to their proper position more than once. Many times. You can be sure that if he was a screw up, he would not be out there.

If there's anyone to fault in AJs development it should be the coaching staff. He should have had practice catching live balls in a real game well before this time. This is just p*ss poor player and roster management IMO. There's a hell of a lot I like about this coaching staff, but there is this one aspect that I cannot fathom. They did the same with LMJ. It's the college coaching/ redshirt freshmen mentality if you ask me.

The team is in trouble at the WR position and it's a problem of the coaches own making. Maybe they just don't have any offensive imagination. To me it looks that way.

Right now, we have ONE legitimate WR.

I have been absolutely underwhelmed by Moss' effort/production . He just loafs around out there . . . very little fight, stretch or full speed in him. He's a senior citizen and that's his game now. A great mentor for the young WRs, but I'm pretty sure that he's not scaring DC's on oppposing teams any more. He should be a coach; not taking up a roster spot. Get someone hungry in there.

Ginn? Well everyone now realizes that he has almost no value on this roster. The coaches don't even pretend that he's a WR any more.

Manning, too, is overrated on this site. There is a reason that the Giants made no effort to resign him . . . none. I won't even go into his short comings. Let's just say, poor stituational and field-position awareness; he's got the physical tools but lacks some upstairs. I see him no better than a #3 at best and more like a #4.

Yet the Niners let a #1 pick languish on the bench with only ONE pass thrown his way? He was so shocked, he dropped it! LOL, don't blame him ! I don't think one can say he's a bust yet, but where he was picked, he needed to get a chance before this.
[ Edited by Rsrkshn on Jan 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM ]
He just beasted it for me in Madden.
Yes, "typical webzone." Randy Moss just "loafs around out there." Especially on that 55-yard catch and run for a td. He just "loafed" down the field while all the defensive backs skipped along behind him. He wasn't even trying. Why, there were defensive backs within five yards of him by the time he got to the end zone. If he were really trying, they should have been at least ten yards behind him. No effort there.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Typical Webzone.

Large servings of overreaction and hyperbole. Too much time between games, I guess. I almost wish the Niners didn't have a bye.

"AJ doesn't know the playbook", "AJ doesn't know where to line up, etc." How do you know? He was slow in responding to one change-of-play as far as I saw. He isn't the fist player to miss, or not hear, a QB's audible and have to be reminded. Haven't we all seen even veterans redirected? I've seen Gore, VD, others motioned to their proper position more than once. Many times. You can be sure that if he was a screw up, he would not be out there.

If there's anyone to fault in AJs development it should be the coaching staff. He should have had practice catching live balls in a real game well before this time. This is just p*ss poor player and roster management IMO. There's a hell of a lot I like about this coaching staff, but there is this one aspect that I cannot fathom. They did the same with LMJ. It's the college coaching/ redshirt freshmen mentality if you ask me.

The team is in trouble at the WR position and it's a problem of the coaches own making. Maybe they just don't have any offensive imagination. To me it looks that way.

Manning, too, is overrated on this site. There is a reason that the Giants made no effort to resign him . . . none. I won't even go into his short comings. Let's just say, poor stituational and field-position awareness; he's got the physical tools but lacks some upstairs. I see him no better than a #3 at best and more like a #4.

Yet the Niners let a #1 pick languish on the bench with only ONE pass thrown his way? He was so shocked, he dropped it! LOL, don't blame him ! I don't think one can say he's a bust yet, but where he was picked, he needed to get a chance before this.

[ Edited by dj43 on Jan 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM ]
Typical Webzone.

I have been absolutely underwhelmed by Moss' effort/production . He just loafs around out there . . . very little fight, stretch or full speed in him. He's a senior citizen and that's his game now. A great mentor for the young WRs, but I'm pretty sure that he's not scaring DC's on oppposing teams any more. He should be a coach; not taking up a roster spot. Get someone hungry in there.

Ginn? Well everyone now realizes that he has almost no value on this roster. The coaches don't even pretend that he's a WR any more.

The bold and underlined are overreactions and hyperbole.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jan 2, 2013 at 5:07 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Thank you.
Typical Webzone.

A college running game coordinator is your offensive coordinator and you are so surprised by this? Unless we're talking about receivers blocking downfield, Roman has no clue how to utilize them whatsoever.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Typical Webzone.

We may be splitting hairs here but I believe there is a great deal of blame to fall on Harbaugh's staff for the failure to develop WRs in the passing game. Jenkins has his own thread that parses this out in multiple ways. The truth is, there are roughly three dozen rookies who have had major impact on their teams this season, and I am not just talking about Luck and Griffin. That IS on the coaches.

As to Manningham; one of the big complaints about him in NY was that in running up routes along the sidelines he allowed himself to get so close to the sideline as to make it extremely difficult for the QB to get the ball in to him. He has continued to do the same thing here. He really is nothing more than a #3. Unfortunately, the 49ers don't have a legit #2, and only in the second half of the season has Crabtree begun to look like he might actually be a #1.

I didn't expect much out of Moss this season. In fact, he surprised me by even making the team. The reality is that he has done very little. It appears the only reason he sees the field at all is the fact the WR corp is so weak that there is no one ahead of him. The speed is clearly not there any longer, and the hops he used to have no longer seem to be in his legs. There comes a time when even the great ones, and he was a GREAT one, no longer have what they used to have. Moss is at that point.
It was disappointing to see AJ drop that ball and appear unprepared. HOWEVER, I am not worried about how his production will be as I am sure he will do just fine. Why?

Because of Kaepernick's abilities.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:
It was disappointing to see AJ drop that ball and appear unprepared. HOWEVER, I am not worried about how his production will be as I am sure he will do just fine. Why?

If that is the case, why didn't Jenkins start getting PT when Kaepernick take over?

Slight aside; I just finished watching the Indy/Houston game. I was very impressed with the rookie receivers Indy has. TY Hilton is a weapon. Coby Fleener is making plays. Dwayne Allen is contributing. (and Reggie Wayne is still there) If all those guys can come in a play well, why is Jenkins on the bench? It certainly isn't because we have a ton of talent ahead of him.

Originally posted by dj43:

If that is the case, why didn't Jenkins start getting PT when Kaepernick take over?

Slight aside; I just finished watching the Indy/Houston game. I was very impressed with the rookie receivers Indy has. TY Hilton is a weapon. Coby Fleener is making plays. Dwayne Allen is contributing. (and Reggie Wayne is still there) If all those guys can come in a play well, why is Jenkins on the bench? It certainly isn't because we have a ton of talent ahead of him.

He wasn't gonna play over Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, or Williams. Now that 2 are out, he's played...just hasn't had balls thrown his way.
Originally posted by dj43:

Agreed. These are guys who displayed SOMETHING in practice to make them worthy of being on the gameday roster and of starting. For whatever reason, Jenkins hasn't shown anything. For a team in need of a returner and a WR, this is very depressing news. I understand why LeMichael James wasn't in the lineup with being behind Gore, Hunter, Dixon/Jacobs on the roster. But Jenkins?

To add some 9ers perspective on this, consider our own Michael Crabtree. For a few years here Michael was bore the brunt of considerable scorn on this board for his lack of production.

Crabtree's rookie numbers:
2009 San Francisco 49ers 11g 11gs 48receptions 625yards 13YPC
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Jan 2, 2013 at 9:43 PM ]
like I said before, maybe in a couple of years , he'll be ok, but we need a WR FOR THE PLAYOFFS.....RIGHT NOW.

Not an experiment.

Ginn for WR.

cut him
I know that we will draw up some plays for him this postseason and with Kaep hitting all the targets down field something will open up for him and this offense will get even more explosive. The key will be our offensive line and us limiting turnovers. I foresee AJ doing well these next 3 games
Share 49ersWebzone