LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 174 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
all I want for xmas is AJ Jenkins to step up in our SB run.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Listen -- really don't mean to be a Negative Nancy here, or even a Debbie Downer, but given the kid can't even line up in the right formations (see last weekend against AZ), I don't see him making much of an impact in a playoff game. That's just too much to ask of him if you ask me.

This is something that has been lost in the big drop that he had against the Cardinals. There were so many times where he looked completely lost and confused and multiple Niners had to motion for him to go somewhere else. To me, this is a bigger problem than the ball that went right through his hands.

I don't think this is a problem. He will probably be a part of 20 plays at the most and the plays he is in will/should be strictly unchangeable. That's all he needs to memorize in 2 weeks. He can memorize just over 1 per day.

What concerns me the most is that he will not be required to play at regular season NFL speed. He will be required to play at playoff level speed.

JC -- shouldn't he know the playbook already? I mean, what if you're called upon to go into the game at any moment? That is a backup's job -- to be able to take over and play at a high level when a starter goes down.

Would you have given Kaepernick the same pass if he didn't know the playbook after taking over for Alex? I don't think so. I don't think anyone would have. We would have been screaming by now.

AJ should know where to line up -- all the time. He should know the playbook. He should know what routes to run. Fact is, he doesn't. And this disturbs me more than anything.
Could've had Alshon Jeffrey. I'm drinking, I'm allowed to overreact.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Listen -- really don't mean to be a Negative Nancy here, or even a Debbie Downer, but given the kid can't even line up in the right formations (see last weekend against AZ), I don't see him making much of an impact in a playoff game. That's just too much to ask of him if you ask me.

This is something that has been lost in the big drop that he had against the Cardinals. There were so many times where he looked completely lost and confused and multiple Niners had to motion for him to go somewhere else. To me, this is a bigger problem than the ball that went right through his hands.

I don't think this is a problem. He will probably be a part of 20 plays at the most and the plays he is in will/should be strictly unchangeable. That's all he needs to memorize in 2 weeks. He can memorize just over 1 per day.

What concerns me the most is that he will not be required to play at regular season NFL speed. He will be required to play at playoff level speed.

JC -- shouldn't he know the playbook already? I mean, what if you're called upon to go into the game at any moment? That is a backup's job -- to be able to take over and play at a high level when a starter goes down.

Would you have given Kaepernick the same pass if he didn't know the playbook after taking over for Alex? I don't think so. I don't think anyone would have. We would have been screaming by now.

AJ should know where to line up -- all the time. He should know the playbook. He should know what routes to run. Fact is, he doesn't. And this disturbs me more than anything.

Kaep was a play away from playing in any game. Jenkins was not. It is disappointing that it appears he was not studying or he was not focused on gameday.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 2, 2013 at 2:03 PM ]
Kaep was a play away from playing in any game. Jenkins was not. It is disappointing that it appears he was not studying or he was not focused on gameday.
It's even worse than that. Up until three weeks ago, Jenkins was running with the scout team. That means that on any given week, he was more involved with the upcoming opponent's playbook than the Niner playbook.
Another thing to add is this: the 49ers haven't had the best of luck when it comes to drafting impact wide receivers. Since Rice and Taylor once shined for this team, the pickings have been rather slim. There was that kid from UCLA, JJ Stokes, who earned the well deserved nickname of JJ Chokes. Then there was T.O., who might have been alright had he not been batshyte crazy. And, after T.O.? Well, there's Crabtree, who is finally having the kind of year we all thought he'd have after we drafted him -- not in Year 4.

That's not a real good track record for drafting and developing good wide receivers. You would think that the team who gave the world Jerry Rice would know how to draft and develop good wide receivers.

Think again.

Whatever! Rashaun Woods was stellar...

...at fishing.
So what are his skill sets? Is he really fast? Good route runner?

Alex said last year that the playbook is huge, and that the offensive coaches game plan so thoroughly that they basically have a new, separate playbook for each week. That would be a lot for a rookie to adjust to. No real excuse, as he should still be ready, but I get why it is tough, especially since Trent and Jim are both on record saying that they had him learn all 3 WR positions at once.

Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:

Both. And, ironically, he has giant, soft hands, and he snatches well away from his body.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Rashaun Jenkins
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Alex said last year that the playbook is huge, and that the offensive coaches game plan so thoroughly that they basically have a new, separate playbook for each week. That would be a lot for a rookie to adjust to. No real excuse, as he should still be ready, but I get why it is tough, especially since Trent and Jim are both on record saying that they had him learn all 3 WR positions at once.

Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:

Both. And, ironically, he has giant, soft hands, and he snatches well away from his body.

He is a WR. Lets get real here. The playbook for them is probably the easiest to learn out of any position on offense. People are making ay to big a deal out of ho hard this offense is to learn. For a QB yes, it takes time, for a WR, it shouldnt be that bad. Our passing plays are not that in depth. Its more of the shifts in the running game.

He has had 17 weeks, plus the offseason. There is no excuse for what we saw last week. I could care less about the drop. That is just jitters, and i am not at all worried about that. I am worried that he looked uterly lost.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Another thing to add is this: the 49ers haven't had the best of luck when it comes to drafting impact wide receivers. Since Rice and Taylor once shined for this team, the pickings have been rather slim. There was that kid from UCLA, JJ Stokes, who earned the well deserved nickname of JJ Chokes. Then there was T.O., who might have been alright had he not been batshyte crazy. And, after T.O.? Well, there's Crabtree, who is finally having the kind of year we all thought he'd have after we drafted him -- not in Year 4.

That's not a real good track record for drafting and developing good wide receivers. You would think that the team who gave the world Jerry Rice would know how to draft and develop good wide receivers.

Think again.

Whatever! Rashaun Woods was stellar...

...at fishing.

And why then doesn't he have a fishing show on the Outdoors Channel? Hmm Smartypants???
ill judge jenkins a little after next year and ill judge him a lot after the third one. its way too early for bashing the guy, it wasnt harbaughs plan that he plays this year anyway
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Two weeks of practicing with the first team as opposed to the scout team should fix that.

i dont think they practice during the bye week do they? its mostly the coaches getting ready the gameplan i think.
I would assume there is some practice. You can't just do nothing for a week. I'm assuming you would use this week to run through all your base stuff, bread and butter so to speak. Then next week you install the game plan.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Two weeks of practicing with the first team as opposed to the scout team should fix that.

i dont think they practice during the bye week do they? its mostly the coaches getting ready the gameplan i think.

Thurs-Fri practice
Share 49ersWebzone