There are 572 users in the forums
Josh Johnson or Colin Kaepernick?
Josh Johnson or Colin Kaepernick?
Apr 19, 2012 at 11:43 PM
- IdahoNiner
- Veteran
- Posts: 9,543
Really? LOL threads are LOL.
Apr 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM
- Youngb
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,257
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Really? LOL threads are LOL.
Wow, I'm glad there is a thread about the 49er QBs finally.
I'll play along...
Since nobody has really seen anything out of either of these guys, our opinions don't matter. Harbaugh and crew have worked with them and are the only ones who know. I really like Kaep personally just because he has the athletic talents to compete, the only question is whether or not he has the intangibles or not.
Apr 20, 2012 at 12:09 AM
- JerryRice1848
- Veteran
- Posts: 12,224
Josh was a better pitcher
Apr 20, 2012 at 12:16 AM
- mike
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,827
I'd hope the guy we moved up for in the 2nd would be better than a guy who spent 3 years as a backup and who we signed off of the street. But who knows.
Apr 20, 2012 at 12:25 AM
- hateroids84
- Veteran
- Posts: 363
Originally posted by mike:
I'd hope the guy we moved up for in the 2nd would be better than a guy who spent 3 years as a backup and who we signed off of the street. But who knows.
Josh Johnson has had a lot of time to learn what the NFL is all about. I don't think he has been given a fair shot yet. I'm guessing Harbaugh wanted this and Balke was good with it.
Apr 20, 2012 at 12:30 AM
- SofaKing
- Veteran
- Posts: 27,442
Kaepernick.
Apr 20, 2012 at 12:37 AM
- unst4bl3
- Member
- Posts: 7,568
Kap, his story has yet to be written, JJ has a few starts, and hasn't shown anything. Sure harbs could do wonders and make him serviceable, but we need all pro, not serviceable.
Apr 20, 2012 at 2:21 AM
- English
- Moderator
- Posts: 41,417
So, Tolzein offended you?
Apr 20, 2012 at 5:54 AM
- PhillyNiner
- Veteran
- Posts: 8,995
For his career, Kap will tower over Johnson in my opinion. But this preseason, I would not be shocked if Josh looks a little better especially in the early going. He has more experience in the pro's, knows the system just as well, and is only a marginally worse athlete. I wish there was room to hold on to 4 qb's because Tolzein has potential too, and is in a different mold than Kap and JJ...more of a traditional QB.
It will be a very interesting pre-season. I dont expect anybody to push for Alex's job this year, but the back up spot and emergency 3rd are going to be a dog fight. Its exciting the have so much raw material to work with. Here is hoping that our coaches can sculpt one of them into a perenial pro bowler.
It will be a very interesting pre-season. I dont expect anybody to push for Alex's job this year, but the back up spot and emergency 3rd are going to be a dog fight. Its exciting the have so much raw material to work with. Here is hoping that our coaches can sculpt one of them into a perenial pro bowler.
Apr 20, 2012 at 6:09 AM
- adamcarrillo1
- Member
- Posts: 73
49ers have two fast QB's on the Roster theres gonna be some serious Competition for Number 2
Apr 20, 2012 at 7:04 AM
- qnnhan7
- Veteran
- Posts: 35,190
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
For his career, Kap will tower over Johnson in my opinion. But this preseason, I would not be shocked if Josh looks a little better especially in the early going. He has more experience in the pro's, knows the system just as well, and is only a marginally worse athlete. I wish there was room to hold on to 4 qb's because Tolzein has potential too, and is in a different mold than Kap and JJ...more of a traditional QB.
It will be a very interesting pre-season. I dont expect anybody to push for Alex's job this year, but the back up spot and emergency 3rd are going to be a dog fight. Its exciting the have so much raw material to work with. Here is hoping that our coaches can sculpt one of them into a perenial pro bowler.
If it's on playing style, I would rather have one of each. The traditional Tolzien and the athletic mobile in J. Johnson or Kaep. Which puts Johnson an odd man out after camp. Not sure that I want to cut a 2nd rounder in Kaep after just 1 1/2 TC. Johnson has backup experience but very limited experience. Would be unfair to sign and cut Johnson that way so it would be tough.
Everyone assumed it would be Tolzien to be a sure cut but maybe not....
Apr 20, 2012 at 7:05 AM
- NeeJ49er
- Veteran
- Posts: 9,580
Tim Rattay
Apr 20, 2012 at 8:21 AM
- Lunchwagon
- Veteran
- Posts: 39
I'm HOPING that Kaep turns out to be the better player and the backup. Truth be told, I hope he earns the starting job. If Alex is going to give us more of the same, I would imagine that he wins the job "going away". Kaep is clearly the most physically gifted QB on the team. He has a rocket arm, and can move around with relative ease. Only the staff can really tell us what his future looks like. My guess is we wont really know until a decision is made (playing/traded/cut) The only real glimpse we have into their view of him is the fact that we traded up to get him, and they rolled with him as the backup all season without any real visible effort to bring someone else in (last preseason).
Ultimately, I only care that whoever has the job is better on 3rd down than we were last year.
Ultimately, I only care that whoever has the job is better on 3rd down than we were last year.
Apr 20, 2012 at 8:31 AM
- VA49er
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,863
Johnson will. He's got more NFL experience and more experience under Harbaugh.