LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

Replacing Delanie Walker... Yes or No?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Replacing Delanie Walker... Yes or No?

Originally posted by rigs49:
Why replace trapjaw?

Because he's a little old to be playing in the NFL nowadays.
Originally posted by aman49:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
exactly. Delanie caught the game winner in that game. I beg to differ on Delanie being overrated. He brings a ton of versatlity to the offense. You don't know where he will line up. And he is easily extendable.

lol seriously. We have one of the best backup TEs in the league, probably the most versatile, and ppl want us to use a FIRST ROUND pick on a TE... lulz.

how is delanie one of the best backup TE's in the league. i like walker and i think hes decent but you guys are a little ridiculous sometimes. also harbaugh ran a ton of multiple TE sets at stanford, sometimes lining up 5 TEs like he did against Virginia tech in the orange bowl when they smashed them 42-12 lol. i think we do need another TE with size who can catch. VD is awesome but hes also all we have in the passing game and hes actually among the shorter TE's in the league i would think. i dont know if fleener falls to us but even if we dont get fleener we do need a huge TE with hands for a legit redzone target. walker is not that guy
Replacing walker with Peele or Byham? Hell no. Replacing Walker with Fleener? Hell YES!
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
exactly. Delanie caught the game winner in that game. I beg to differ on Delanie being overrated. He brings a ton of versatlity to the offense. You don't know where he will line up. And he is easily extendable.

lol seriously. We have one of the best backup TEs in the league, probably the most versatile, and ppl want us to use a FIRST ROUND pick on a TE... lulz.

how is delanie one of the best backup TE's in the league. i like walker and i think hes decent but you guys are a little ridiculous sometimes. also harbaugh ran a ton of multiple TE sets at stanford, sometimes lining up 5 TEs like he did against Virginia tech in the orange bowl when they smashed them 42-12 lol. i think we do need another TE with size who can catch. VD is awesome but hes also all we have in the passing game and hes actually among the shorter TE's in the league i would think. i dont know if fleener falls to us but even if we dont get fleener we do need a huge TE with hands for a legit redzone target. walker is not that guy

IMO we are better in getting a WR instead of another TE, which we DONT need. Walker is a good TE, and yes one of the best backups at TE. I wouldn't be surprised if Harbaugh passes on some of his former Stanford players, he didnt draft Marecic, or Sherman(CB who went to Seattle), plus didn't sign Baldwin in UDFA, so he isn't afraid of going against the popular choice. See Aldon Smith, most didn't cheer the pick, they booed it, but look how it turned out. I trust what Harbaugh and Baalke do, I would pass on Fleener, take a WR, which is a bigger need and build there.

IMO we are better in getting a WR instead of another TE, which we DONT need. Walker is a good TE, and yes one of the best backups at TE. I wouldn't be surprised if Harbaugh passes on some of his former Stanford players, he didnt draft Marecic, or Sherman(CB who went to Seattle), plus didn't sign Baldwin in UDFA, so he isn't afraid of going against the popular choice. See Aldon Smith, most didn't cheer the pick, they booed it, but look how it turned out. I trust what Harbaugh and Baalke do, I would pass on Fleener, take a WR, which is a bigger need and build there.

Stephen hill IMO, is the cutoff for WRs who I would take over Fleener. I don't want to be reaching for guys like randle or jeffery in the first round. Fleener could be the big RZ target we desperately need. And having 2-3 stud TEs would be great for the Harbaughs style offense. Is WR a greater need? Yes. But it would be hard to pass up on a TE who has all the tangibles of a Gronk or Graham.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

exxactly how i feel too

as for below i wouldnt mind taking jeffery over fleener

i may get flamed for that buut jeffery consistntly dominated the SEC level with a horrile qb he is extremelly physical and almost impossible to guard in single coverage
Some college kid runs fast in shorts, and suddenly people picture Smith lobbing countless red-zone touchdowns to him like Drew Brees or Tom Brady. We have Davis and Walker, but suddenly they become too slow, short and clumsy to do those things.

Even at his age, Randy Moss has better hands, body control and leaping ability than any rookie in this year's draft will ever have. Of course, it takes a lot more than those things to score red-zone touchdowns.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Some college kid runs fast in shorts, and suddenly people picture Smith lobbing countless red-zone touchdowns to him like Drew Brees or Tom Brady. We have Davis and Walker, but suddenly they become too slow, short and clumsy to do those things.

Even at his age, Randy Moss has better hands, body control and leaping ability than any rookie in this year's draft will ever have. Of course, it takes a lot more than those things to score red-zone touchdowns.

Still one of my all time favorite posters.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Stephen hill IMO, is the cutoff for WRs who I would take over Fleener. I don't want to be reaching for guys like randle or jeffery in the first round. Fleener could be the big RZ target we desperately need. And having 2-3 stud TEs would be great for the Harbaughs style offense. Is WR a greater need? Yes. But it would be hard to pass up on a TE who has all the tangibles of a Gronk or Graham.

Agreed. Sometimes our desire to fill these holes has people overlooking who might actually be available at 30. We may need a receiver, but the 1st round quality receivers may be gone by the time we get to our pick. If we decide to stay put at 30 and Wright, Hill, and Floyd are gone, the value is no longer there at that position.

I also think if more people watched how Standford's offense ran under Harbaugh, they would realize one (you don't need the great, all-world receiver, though it does help) and two, you need a lot of pass catching TEs. Delanie is ok, but not great. I see no reason why we couldn't keep all 3 of these guys. Also, with a WR group of Manningham, Crabtree, and Moss, we can afford to wait until the 2nd or 3rd round to draft a player that most likely wouldn't be anything more than the 3rd receiverin 2012.

Drafting Coby Fleener is not a move to replace Delanie Walker nor does it take away from Vernon Davis. I wouldnt be surprised if the top 2 TEs and Stanford have more catches than the starting receivers since Harbaugh came aboard in 2007. The presence of Fleener opens things up for the offense, gives Alex Smith a weapon that most likely will be able to contribute immediately, potentially addresses our redzone woes, and will not come with a steep price tag.

Although there are some needs on the interior of the line, our need for playmakers on offense is greater. We can pick up a veteran RG that is the equal of Adam Snyder and be much more explosive on offense with the likes of Moss, Manningham, Davis, Gore, Hunter, Crabtree, and possibly Fleener. Match that up with our defense and special teams, and I think you have a team that would be a huge favorite to win the Super Bowl.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Agreed. Sometimes our desire to fill these holes has people overlooking who might actually be available at 30. We may need a receiver, but the 1st round quality receivers may be gone by the time we get to our pick. If we decide to stay put at 30 and Wright, Hill, and Floyd are gone, the value is no longer there at that position.

I also think if more people watched how Standford's offense ran under Harbaugh, they would realize one (you don't need the great, all-world receiver, though it does help) and two, you need a lot of pass catching TEs. Delanie is ok, but not great. I see no reason why we couldn't keep all 3 of these guys. Also, with a WR group of Manningham, Crabtree, and Moss, we can afford to wait until the 2nd or 3rd round to draft a player that most likely wouldn't be anything more than the 3rd receiverin 2012.

Drafting Coby Fleener is not a move to replace Delanie Walker nor does it take away from Vernon Davis. I wouldnt be surprised if the top 2 TEs and Stanford have more catches than the starting receivers since Harbaugh came aboard in 2007. The presence of Fleener opens things up for the offense, gives Alex Smith a weapon that most likely will be able to contribute immediately, potentially addresses our redzone woes, and will not come with a steep price tag.

Although there are some needs on the interior of the line, our need for playmakers on offense is greater. We can pick up a veteran RG that is the equal of Adam Snyder and be much more explosive on offense with the likes of Moss, Manningham, Davis, Gore, Hunter, Crabtree, and possibly Fleener. Match that up with our defense and special teams, and I think you have a team that would be a huge favorite to win the Super Bowl.

college ball is not pro ball... especially Stanford college ball.

geez, must have been hard for Harbaugh to recruit some top flight WRs, what with Stanford having such a laughable football program before JH got there... makes you wonder why he ran all those TE sets...

Now, JH in the NFL, especially after the season he put up last year, I don't think we have to worry about drafting a 4th TE, regardless of how good he is.
Originally posted by mkmasn:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

college ball is not pro ball... especially Stanford college ball.

geez, must have been hard for Harbaugh to recruit some top flight WRs, what with Stanford having such a laughable football program before JH got there... makes you wonder why he ran all those TE sets...

Now, JH in the NFL, especially after the season he put up last year, I don't think we have to worry about drafting a 4th TE, regardless of how good he is.

There's a reason why Stanford has 4 players projected to go in the 1st round. And why they are the powerhouse they are. Harbaugh got good players to go to Stanford. Even owusu is a stud, just has concussion concerns.

And your reasoning that harbaugh ran the offense he did because he had bad WRs is laughable
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
There's a reason why Stanford has 4 players projected to go in the 1st round. And why they are the powerhouse they are. Harbaugh got good players to go to Stanford. Even owusu is a stud, just has concussion concerns.

And your reasoning that harbaugh ran the offense he did because he had bad WRs is laughable

really? what did stanford do football wise in the past 10 years before Harbaugh got there?

Nothing, that's what. Now, Stanford can get some players only because of what Harbaugh did.

players getting drafted anywhere this year has nothing to do with what i said. I suggest you read my reply again.

Oh yea... which Stanford receivers are going in the first round this year?
[ Edited by mkmasn on Apr 15, 2012 at 9:26 PM ]
After this year, Delanie like Bass, Snyder, and Morgan will be gone. Some of you are not thinking and paying attention. I like Fleener and wouldn't mind having him. However, Walker's replacement maybe being groomed already. Some people feel a starter and replacement can only be had if we draft him high (in the first three rounds) or a big name FA. Konrad Reuland was doing good in preseason. He is bigger than Walker but smaller than Fleener (in height only). The only reason he didn't make the active roster according to coaching staff was that they already had two TE's that could catch and that they specifically wanted a blocking TE, enter bhyam. When he went down, Konrad didn't get the nod, they went with another blocking te. Some of you maybe saying well just dump walker, that may happen, but I think they keep walker as he is experienced and is not that expensive anyway.
Originally posted by WildBill:
After this year, Delanie like Bass, Snyder, and Morgan will be gone. Some of you are not thinking and paying attention. I like Fleener and wouldn't mind having him. However, Walker's replacement maybe being groomed already. Some people feel a starter and replacement can only be had if we draft him high (in the first three rounds) or a big name FA. Konrad Reuland was doing good in preseason. He is bigger than Walker but smaller than Fleener (in height only). The only reason he didn't make the active roster according to coaching staff was that they already had two TE's that could catch and that they specifically wanted a blocking TE, enter bhyam. When he went down, Konrad didn't get the nod, they went with another blocking te. Some of you maybe saying well just dump walker, that may happen, but I think they keep walker as he is experienced and is not that expensive anyway.

I know it's not all about speed but Delanie Walker put up 4.47-4.49 in the 40. That is freakish speed for a TE. The only thing Walker lack is a bit of height. Reuland has well rounded measurables and 4.88-4.90 in the 40. That's a lot of faith you have in Reuland. Delanie has proven he can get it done of what the coaches asked of him.
Share 49ersWebzone