LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 226 users in the forums

Replacing Delanie Walker... Yes or No?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Replacing Delanie Walker... Yes or No?

So the latest debate in the Zone has been whether or not Delanie Walker should be replaced as the #2 TE.

The Zone is currently fixated on Stanford TE Coby Fleener to take D-Love's place... like Fleener's automatically the second coming of GRONK.

I am personally baffled by the lack of love being thrown Walker's way, but to each their own. What do you guys think?
keep him. he's the swiss army knife of the offense
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
D Walker is a pretty good player the biggest problem with him and most of our receivers is they have a subpar QB throwing them the ball. Put him on the Pats and he probably makes the pro bowl.

I say keep him until his contract expires but in the mean time look for an upgrade in later rounds.
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
keep him. he's the swiss army knife of the offense

AGREED.

FB, TE, WR... We line him up everywhere and he's turned into a superb blocker.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
if people are advocating for us to cut or trade him because we draft Fleener then they are just plain crazy, Walker will be on this team in 2012, its 2013 that is up in the air. Here is my take....

Reasons why Walker should be replaced as TE:
Size
Not the best hands
Inability to over power most safeties in a smilar manner a larger TE can

Reasons why we would draft Fleener a year before Walker's deal expires
We did the same thing with Aldon, one year before Brooks' deal was done, it just worked out that were phasing out Haralson instead of replacing Brooks
Walker is not a real TE, he is an H-back if not actually a FB or WR. He is a tweener in every sense of the word, 6 feet even, 250 pounds(a lot of the newer look RB/FBs are this size), he isn't fast enough to be a WR but he was fast enough to be converted to a TE instead of a FB/RB(pretty much the definition of a H-Back)

Will we make an effort to re-sign Walker if we draft Fleener? Of course we will, having 3 starting caliber TEs is better then having 2. Just like having 3 starting caliber OLBs is better then having 2 had we let Brooks walk.

Will Walker test the market next year regardless of the possibility of us drafting Fleener? Of course he will, he has shown flashes that he can be the #1 TE for any team in the NFL, at the very least he could go be the #2 of not #1b to a team like Chicago whose primary TE Kellen Davis is a bit on the slow side and not able to take advantage of playing slower OLBs and Safeties.

What all this boils down to? If Fleener is there at 30 you can bet your a** we will draft him, will we trade up for him? I'd say no, but if he is there he is the best possible pick for us due to his knowledge of the system, his physical size and leaping ability and great hands instantly upgrade our passing attack in all areas of the field and gameplay. It also provides us with insurance against DWalk leaving in FA just as Aldon did with Brooks potentially leaving.

I reiterate, his versatility as a TE, WR, RB, FB, OL, KR makes him nearly irreplaceable so the FO will likely value him fairly high and he'll likely be retained, but to stubbornly insist we shouldn't draft Fleener simply because DWalk is on the roster is just plain dumb, that is comparable to saying we have a serviceable if not pro bowl caliber Center so we shouldn't draft a backup or plan B even though he is old and on short term deal.

As JH says you never stay the same, you are either getting worse or getting better. If we dont add Fleener we'd effectively get worse, if we add him we get better, if we retain DWalk after the year then we will be better then we were going into the 2013 off season. Make sense?
[ Edited by sfout on Apr 14, 2012 at 5:21 PM ]
Originally posted by NickSh49:
So the latest debate in the Zone has been whether or not Delanie Walker should be replaced as the #2 TE.

The Zone is currently fixated on Stanford TE Coby Fleener to take D-Love's place... like Fleener's automatically the second coming of GRONK.

I am personally baffled by the lack of love being thrown Walker's way, but to each their own. What do you guys think?

I think you neglected the option of keeping Delanie Walker and also getting Coby Fleener. Fleener need not replace Walker... yet. Walker is a good player and I hope the team keeps him. However, I would love to see them draft Fleener, too.

Your poll did not have that as an option.
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Originally posted by NickSh49:

I think you neglected the option of keeping Delanie Walker and also getting Coby Fleener. Fleener need not replace Walker... yet. Walker is a good player and I hope the team keeps him. However, I would love to see them draft Fleener, too.

Your poll did not have that as an option.

Eventually, Fleener WILL replace Walker if he is drafted, and Walker will go to another team.

I just don't think replacing Delanie is a priority, now or in the forseeable future. If you draft Fleener, you are essentially saying so-long to Walker unless Fleener completely busts.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Apr 14, 2012 at 6:02 PM ]
fleener will be a bust, book it!
Fleener seems to come up no matter what conversation is going on. D. Walker is on this team for at least one more year. If he wants to test the market let him. If he wants to stay... I say ok... just as the #3 TE or some hybrid role. Absolutely not as the #2 TE. Kind of agree with sus that he is hindered by Alex but even still, his career best is 29 rec. for 331 yards. That's not good at all. Walker is only 6 ft. I think a bigger TE would easily put up better numbers. So if it isn't Fleener, draft someone else or promote Reuland.
I love the idea of Davis - Walker - Fleener so damn much. That would be the best group of tight ends in the league. You bring all three out onto the field at once and OH LAWD

I dont see why our offense couldnt work with him, VD, and Fleener. DWalk has proven to be a good blocker and pass catcher. Imagine a Goal Line package with Moss on the outside Fleener and VD at TE and DWalk lined up at FB. Scoring a TD every time!
Vernon Davis,Delanie Walker and Coby Fleener..Just Release Nate Byham Were all Set
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
So upgrade from a pro bowler?
He is the kind of solid player you can sign back next year at a reasonable price. I see no reason to let him go.
Originally posted by adamcarrillo1:
Vernon Davis,Delanie Walker and Coby Fleener..Just Release Nate Byham Were all Set

Can't afford all three long term.
Share 49ersWebzone