LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Replacing Delanie Walker... Yes or No?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Replacing Delanie Walker... Yes or No?

Originally posted by NickSh49:
So the latest debate in the Zone has been whether or not Delanie Walker should be replaced as the #2 TE.

The Zone is currently fixated on Stanford TE Coby Fleener to take D-Love's place... like Fleener's automatically the second coming of GRONK.

I am personally baffled by the lack of love being thrown Walker's way, but to each their own. What do you guys think?

I said it before, I'll say it again: Delanie Walker is currently the most overrated player on the 49ers. He's not bad, but he also isn't as good as some want to think. Much like Arnaz Battle and Michael Robinson, he gets too much credit from many fans when, in reality, he isn't deserving.
That's funny because rotoworld says he's one of the best blocking te's in the league... That doesn't seem overrated to me... http://www.rotoworld.com/stats/nfl/3976/delanie-walker
Edit: that was a news feed from csn bay area, but Sando has a good article on Walker...
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/55456/walkers-injury-big-one-for-49ers-offense
[ Edited by mkmasn on Apr 15, 2012 at 10:25 AM ]
  • tsty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
If we do draft Fleener why dont we give Delanie a try at WR

I'm not sure if the "know it alls" on this blog agree but this is a good idea being that Delanie played receiver in college and not TE,its his playing weight (246) that has him listed in his current position.Walker's versatility is an asset to the team but a 6'6 target with hands in the redzone is a must.DRAFT FLEENER and keep DWALK.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I said it before, I'll say it again: Delanie Walker is currently the most overrated player on the 49ers. He's not bad, but he also isn't as good as some want to think. Much like Arnaz Battle and Michael Robinson, he gets too much credit from many fans when, in reality, he isn't deserving.

Most of his fans like him for what he is, a good backup tight end and a great ST player.

We can't have studs and every position backing up studs.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Most of his fans like him for what he is, a good backup tight end and a great ST player.

Bingo!

That dropped touchdown vs Detriot comes to mind
Originally posted by 94605NiNer:

Damnit HE CAUGHT THE GAME WINNER.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Apr 15, 2012 at 11:21 AM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Bro, you just said a mouth full. We can't. They are called backups and #2's primarily because they are not expected to put up stud numbers. D. Walker is as solid as they come in terms of backups/utility players are concerned. He's utilized more than most #2 TE's. D. Walker has done everything, and then some, asked of him.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by 94605NiNer:

Damnit HE CAUGHT THE GAME WINNER.

exactly. Delanie caught the game winner in that game. I beg to differ on Delanie being overrated. He brings a ton of versatlity to the offense. You don't know where he will line up. And he is easily extendable.
Can someone please tell me how replacing Delanie Walker is a priority?

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Can someone please tell me how replacing Delanie Walker is a priority?

A lot of these people are swinging from Fleener's jock belt.

I don't get why we would draft a TE when we have two good ones already.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
exactly. Delanie caught the game winner in that game. I beg to differ on Delanie being overrated. He brings a ton of versatlity to the offense. You don't know where he will line up. And he is easily extendable.

lol seriously. We have one of the best backup TEs in the league, probably the most versatile, and ppl want us to use a FIRST ROUND pick on a TE... lulz.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Maybe you guys like Fleener to be on the team so much that you are leaning towards hate'n on Walker to advocate the reasoning for getting another TE in Fleener.

Ya think?

There are so many posts to state the same thing: Draft Fleener in the 1st. And many Zoners are willing advance just about any rationale, no matter how ill-logical, to justify it. Of all the reason for drafting Fleener in the 1st doing so to replace D. Walker is perhaps the silliest, most ill-logical, and would be a bad use of our 1st pick. I've said it before and I'll say it again, we don't need to burn our 1st pick to replace D. Walker. We can do that as late as round 4. Personally, I think our TE position is one of our settled positions and therefore don't think we need to address it in this draft. Of all the problems we had on offense the TE position was not among them.
Ive been saying the same thing for awhile, I like Fleener i really do but we have much more stability at the tight end position than we do at WR. I believe if we do draft a tight end it should be a second or third day pick. Now if Fleener is the absolute best option at our pick i definetly understand, but this whole replace delanie, trade up, and delanie's a liability stuff is just ludicrous imo.
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by Squidp:
Teams game planned to take him out of the game because was a big part of our success early on. If you check the game grades by the writers he still received praise every week. We need extra blocking help to keep Alex alive

So you think that with Vernon Davis, Frank Gore, and Michael Crabtree on offense - it was Delanie Walker that teams gameplanned to shut down?

Crabs and Alex werent on the same page for more than half the season and VDs struggles to grasp the system were discussed at length.
Originally posted by Kaz9er:
Ive been saying the same thing for awhile, I like Fleener i really do but we have much more stability at the tight end position than we do at WR. I believe if we do draft a tight end it should be a second or third day pick. Now if Fleener is the absolute best option at our pick i definetly understand, but this whole replace delanie, trade up, and delanie's a liability stuff is just ludicrous imo.
Exactly!! If Fleener falls to us in the 2nd (though I doubt it) he becomes irresistible for JH.
Share 49ersWebzone