There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Aubrayo Franklin

Originally posted by 9erred:
This is why Josh Johnson was brought in to compete with Kaepernick and Tolzien. CK and Tolzien both will develop, but Harbaugh wants to create competition at every position. Brining in Franklin at NT for a vet minimum contract would create competition at NT. If you do not want competition at each position then you are a poster who is against what Baalke and Harbaugh are trying to do.

The comparison to J Johnson is not apt. Johnson and Harbaugh know each other and JH has respect for his game. If the 9ers had a lot of respect for Franklin's game they would have made a legitimate offer the first time around. I'm not sure which QB will be cut but there is legitimate competition and they are all young.

There is already competition at the DL position. If he can compete and be an asset that's fine but the idea he'll sign for the minimum seems unlikely. If he is smart he will wait until a team has a major injury to up his ante. My problem with having two aging NTs on the team is that a young guy needs to have a few years to learn and develop. I'm also having a hard time believing Franklin is significantly better than Ian or Ricky.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by 9erred:
This is why Josh Johnson was brought in to compete with Kaepernick and Tolzien. CK and Tolzien both will develop, but Harbaugh wants to create competition at every position. Brining in Franklin at NT for a vet minimum contract would create competition at NT. If you do not want competition at each position then you are a poster who is against what Baalke and Harbaugh are trying to do.

The comparison to J Johnson is not apt. Johnson and Harbaugh know each other and JH has respect for his game. If the 9ers had a lot of respect for Franklin's game they would have made a legitimate offer the first time around. I'm not sure which QB will be cut but there is legitimate competition and they are all young.

There is already competition at the DL position. If he can compete and be an asset that's fine but the idea he'll sign for the minimum seems unlikely. If he is smart he will wait until a team has a major injury to up his ante. My problem with having two aging NTs on the team is that a young guy needs to have a few years to learn and develop. I'm also having a hard time believing Franklin is significantly better than Ian or Ricky.


I think you need to re read what you posted, and see all of the oxy morons you created.

1. Franklin will not sign for the league minimum (the amount RJF and Williams both make)
2. Franklin should wait for an injury so he leverages his ante- alluding to he is starter quality or stop gap for a few years.
3. You have a hard time believing Franklin is better than Ian or RJF. - If you read my previous posts, I stated if Franklin would sign a THREE year league minimum deal, which only counts like 550K a year against the cap because it is a vets salary. Franklin did not start in the first year of his career, I AGREE that it takes years to develop a NT, as it did Franklin. If he beats out Williams and RJF in pre season he is the best fit for the team. Most players are only under contract for the next 3 years anyways. He is 31, but NFL has older NT's, especially ones who do not have a high snap count.
If Sopoaga went down due to injury, (heaven forbid) are you more comfortable with RJF starting and Williams rotating in or Franklin starting with RJF rotating in?
Last but not least, he is the #1 FA NT still available. Kinda makes you go Hmmmmm.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1176330-2012-nfl-free-agents-breaking-down-top-5-players-at-every-position#/articles/1176330-2012-nfl-free-agents-breaking-down-top-5-players-at-every-position/page/7
bleacherreport? ick

Look, I am not at all surprised to see Franklin at the top of that list. He doesn't suck. The problem is, no one seems crazy enough about him to pay him what he thinks he deserves.. and they are probably right. He was pretty unimpressive for New Orleans after leaving us... and they paid him somewhere around 4 mil on that 1 yr deal ( I think ).

Bottom line is Franklin is a good plugger, but gets hurt often and is 1-dimensional. I'd take him back on a cheap 1 yr deal if we didn't have RJF... but RJF is young and has often been called "a starting quality DL" by Fangio. Just don't need AF.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Last but not least, he is the #1 FA NT still available. Kinda makes you go Hmmmmm.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1176330-2012-nfl-free-agents-breaking-down-top-5-players-at-every-position#/articles/1176330-2012-nfl-free-agents-breaking-down-top-5-players-at-every-position/page/7


Should we sign ten FA NTs? It would increase competition. If not why not? I was not creating oxymorons. To help you out I'll post a link to the definition of oxymoron:

http://www.fun-with-words.com/oxym_example.html

So you believe that two unproven young lineman signing for the league minimum means that a long time vet will sign for the minimum? And then you say he is rated as a top FA? You might have a problem with logic...but it is still not an oxymoron.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Last but not least, he is the #1 FA NT still available. Kinda makes you go Hmmmmm.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1176330-2012-nfl-free-agents-breaking-down-top-5-players-at-every-position#/articles/1176330-2012-nfl-free-agents-breaking-down-top-5-players-at-every-position/page/7


Should we sign ten FA NTs? It would increase competition. If not why not? I was not creating oxymorons. To help you out I'll post a link to the definition of oxymoron:

http://www.fun-with-words.com/oxym_example.html

So you believe that two unproven young lineman signing for the league minimum means that a long time vet will sign for the minimum? And then you say he is rated as a top FA? You might have a problem with logic...but it is still not an oxymoron.


Top FA NT will probably sign for the league minimum considering it is post draft and most teams rosters are already filled. So yes, I stand by my statement. When Aubroyo does sign for team X, we will get a definitive answer. It should also be a lesson to folks that you can demand a large contract then be out of the league in a few years.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Last but not least, he is the #1 FA NT still available. Kinda makes you go Hmmmmm.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1176330-2012-nfl-free-agents-breaking-down-top-5-players-at-every-position#/articles/1176330-2012-nfl-free-agents-breaking-down-top-5-players-at-every-position/page/7


Should we sign ten FA NTs? It would increase competition. If not why not? I was not creating oxymorons. To help you out I'll post a link to the definition of oxymoron:

http://www.fun-with-words.com/oxym_example.html

So you believe that two unproven young lineman signing for the league minimum means that a long time vet will sign for the minimum? And then you say he is rated as a top FA? You might have a problem with logic...but it is still not an oxymoron.


Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Last but not least, he is the #1 FA NT still available. Kinda makes you go Hmmmmm.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1176330-2012-nfl-free-agents-breaking-down-top-5-players-at-every-position#/articles/1176330-2012-nfl-free-agents-breaking-down-top-5-players-at-every-position/page/7


Should we sign ten FA NTs? It would increase competition. If not why not? I was not creating oxymorons. To help you out I'll post a link to the definition of oxymoron:

http://www.fun-with-words.com/oxym_example.html

So you believe that two unproven young lineman signing for the league minimum means that a long time vet will sign for the minimum? And then you say he is rated as a top FA? You might have a problem with logic...but it is still not an oxymoron.


Read your quote again, and then read the definition of Oxymoron.

"There is already competition at the DL position. If he can compete and be an asset that's fine but the idea he'll sign for the minimum seems unlikely. If he is smart he will wait until a team has a major injury to up his ante. My problem with having two aging NTs on the team is that a young guy needs to have a few years to learn and develop. I'm also having a hard time believing Franklin is significantly better than Ian or Ricky.
Originally posted by SFrush:
I wouldn't mind having franklin back on a one year deal. I know it's unlikely though.

If there was any interest whatsoever it would have happened already. Why let OTA's and mini-camp go by only to have him come in to camp in July at a disadvantage?
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Jun 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erred:
Top FA NT will probably sign for the league minimum considering it is post draft and most teams rosters are already filled. So yes, I stand by my statement. When Aubroyo does sign for team X, we will get a definitive answer. It should also be a lesson to folks that you can demand a large contract then be out of the league in a few years.




Read your quote again, and then read the definition of Oxymoron.

"There is already competition at the DL position. If he can compete and be an asset that's fine but the idea he'll sign for the minimum seems unlikely. If he is smart he will wait until a team has a major injury to up his ante. My problem with having two aging NTs on the team is that a young guy needs to have a few years to learn and develop. I'm also having a hard time believing Franklin is significantly better than Ian or Ricky.


No oxymoron involved but many true statements.

1) Already competition among guys with small contracts (Ian and Ricky).
2) I believe they are close to or as good as Franklin.
3) If the team brings him in and believes he can be a difference maker? I will be wrong.
4) Franklin left for more money and is considered the top NT prospect by some, so no--I doubt he signs for the league minimum. If he does--I'll be wrong.
5) He would be smarter to wait for a team to truly need a NT due to injury in TC and sign as a necessity rather than a cheap luxury. Other teams may value him more than I do, or the 9ers do.

No oxymorons but several chances that I will be wrong.
Wow, all the mods must be asleep. Franklin is no longer a 49er.

Anyways, I wouldn't mind if Baalke took Franklin on a one year vet minimum for rotation only and injury protection. Let Ian Williams go to the practice squad unless he outplays Franklin.

I seem to remember Willis calling him one of the best NT in the league.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Wow, all the mods must be asleep. Franklin is no longer a 49er.

Anyways, I wouldn't mind if Baalke took Franklin on a one year vet minimum for rotation only and injury protection. Let Ian Williams go to the practice squad unless he outplays Franklin.

I seem to remember Willis calling him one of the best NT in the league.

Yeah when he was playing infront of the best LB in the league....Willis is tooooooo humble to say that.....