There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Aubrayo Franklin

Absolutely not. Rick Jean-Francois did a tremendous job coming in for Soapoaga last year.

We're fine in the middle, could use another DE though.
Too Old, too slow...RJF is fine for now. Keep your eye on Jerod-Eddie...big kid from T A&M has the size to be NT of the future. WRT DE, I think Dobbs and Tukuafu will be fine.
It would be nice to have a NT who can collapse the pocket frequently. That's asking a lot but with the current front seven the idea of having a mountain moving the pocket back into the QB would be...thrilling!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Too Old, too slow...RJF is fine for now. Keep your eye on Jerod-Eddie...big kid from T A&M has the size to be NT of the future. WRT DE, I think Dobbs and Tukuafu will be fine.
we do not need any x niners left over from a previous regime,,,, i would make an exception for kyle kosier

If you could get Aubroyo on a 3 year contract for the league minimum, he actually gets the vet discount towards the cap, so his salary would be 900K a year but only count like 550 K a year towards the cap.

Aubroyo is 31, but he was not a starter from day 1, meaning he does not have a lot of NFL wear and tear. The question is Aubroyo better than RJF and Ian Williams. I think the answer is yes.

If it is not yes, then if they sign him for the aforementioned contract, there is no risk, he can be cut with no cap hit, or he can beat them out.
Originally posted by 9erred:

If you could get Aubroyo on a 3 year contract for the league minimum, he actually gets the vet discount towards the cap, so his salary would be 900K a year but only count like 550 K a year towards the cap.

Aubroyo is 31, but he was not a starter from day 1, meaning he does not have a lot of NFL wear and tear. The question is Aubroyo better than RJF and Ian Williams. I think the answer is yes.

If it is not yes, then if they sign him for the aforementioned contract, there is no risk, he can be cut with no cap hit, or he can beat them out.

Problem with that is the 53 man roster. Do you cut a guy who will develop into a solid NT in order to bring in a guy for a year or two as a back up? I would hate to see Williams or RJF picked up by another team to have Franklin sit on the bench.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Absolutely not. Rick Jean-Francois did a tremendous job coming in for Soapoaga last year.

We're fine in the middle, could use another DE though.

Agreed , I wouldnt mind another DE for the rotation , but it sounds like Dobbs and Tukafu are being groomed for more playing time ..so we shall see
OP was just eaten alive on the 1st page i dont know if i should go to the next 4.
I am suprised the colts dont look at him, being that Greg is coaching the D. And they realy dont have a Nose Tackle
first tukuafu was extended.

2nd when did sopoaga test the market? i thought he was resigned before hitting the market.

3rd franklin has no business on this team, he would not be active and will kick a young player who could be good down the road.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
first tukuafu was extended.

Yes, he was... two years. This staff really likes his potential, and that of Dobbs. There is a clear reason we didn't bring in DL this offseason.

2nd when did sopoaga test the market? i thought he was resigned before hitting the market.

Yep. Signed a 5 yr deal back in early 2008.. before he ever touched FA.

3rd franklin has no business on this team, he would not be active and will kick a young player who could be good down the road.

I was probably one of three people leading the "Don't Sign Franklin to big money" charge a couple years ago. That said, some on here are being a bit harsh to him. It's not like he sucks.. but he's definitely not the stud that many on here were claiming him to be back then. I agree though that we just don't need him. If we didn't have RJF, then I might be interested... just to add experienced depth for our SB run. But our staff calls RJF a "starting-quality DL" and love the other backups. We all know our starting DL is coveted. So we really don't have a place on the 53 for Franklin. His future and present is not shining.. so no.. don't need, don't want.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Problem with that is the 53 man roster. Do you cut a guy who will develop into a solid NT in order to bring in a guy for a year or two as a back up? I would hate to see Williams or RJF picked up by another team to have Franklin sit on the bench.

Hell no you don't. I think they're more likely to extend RJF than push him off the roster.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Jun 13, 2012 at 7:06 AM ]
I wouldn't mind having franklin back on a one year deal. I know it's unlikely though.
Testy
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

This is why Josh Johnson was brought in to compete with Kaepernick and Tolzien. CK and Tolzien both will develop, but Harbaugh wants to create competition at every position. Brining in Franklin at NT for a vet minimum contract would create competition at NT. If you do not want competition at each position then you are a poster who is against what Baalke and Harbaugh are trying to do.