There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will Crabtree ever be this good?

As much as I've been pissed with Crabs' production (especially with Oher's success in Baltimore), I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He shows effort and sacrifices by blocking selflessly. If he can not get hurt this offseason and ACTUALLY work on running routes w/Alex throwing to him all offseason, I think he can get a rapport with Alex and maybe stop getting the "WTF" passes Alex throws to him b/c he'll know what kind of passes to throw Crabs.

....and if it doesn't work, we got Manningham and Crabs can go someplace else
Originally posted by GNielsen:
The lack of off-season last year had a lot to do with many aspects of the offense. Offense is order. It takes more time than defense. A couple things lead me to think Crabtree will have a good year. The full off-season will allow him to become perfectly comfortable with his routes - no thinking, just reacting. When he's on his game, he's got great hands. The other thing is that we'll see a much more full-bodied passing attack because of that full off-season and we'll probably have at least one speed burner on the outside to go along with Davis on the inside. Stretching the field will provide more room in the middle, which is where Crabtree should flourish. Getting those safeties to back up a little in expectation of long routes should also loosen things up for those nice bubble screens and quick slants that Crabtree seems to do so well with.

Well said!
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by dj43:
Please don't call me "mr." It makes me sound old. Oh. Wait. nvm

On a serious note, while the entire offense was playing with a short deck last season due to the new offense and the lockout, Crabtree was the most effected due to his injury. Not only did he miss the on-field portion of Camp Alex, but it was not until week 12, IIRC, that he was able to be listed as "full participation" in weekly practice. A player just cannot miss that much practice time and be productive. You just can't.
I have been a fan since 1971 with brodie , gene washington, vic washington, cedrick hardman, ken willard. i was 11 so you do the math and then we will discuss who is older

The Bald Eagle, #14, Yelberton Abraham Tittle comes to mind. Damn that Lou Cordeleone trade that sent YA to the Giants.

...reading history...
When crabtree single handedly beat my HORNS, knocking them out of an almost certain BCS berth, he looked all world. I couldn't believe our good fortune when we drafted him at #10. Then the holdout. Then the self inflicted problems from the holdout. Then the no preseason practices, the nagging injuries, the inability to get separation, the disappearance in our two biggest games, NO and NYG, where he just disappeared. There was also the mid season circus catches, usually 4 feet over his head....amazing catches. But the lack of desire is a constant reminder that maybe, just maybe, the kid really doesn't want to be here. I can't put it all on that , but it sure seems like he is less than enthusiastic about playing here. His inability to catch the passes that hit him right between the numbers is not a good sign. His failure to take part in PS practice....also , not a good sign. One yr...ok. Two yrs...umm, not so good. Three yrs...a definite problem.

I agree with Sus and CC in their observation re: craps. But if he makes it as a #3 this yr, I will be satisfied. Maybe Moss and Mario will give him a kick in the pants. My biggest concern is that he flat out doesn't want to be here...or he would have learned the playbook, he would have been in camp, he would get separation, he would hang onto passes that hit him between the 1 and 5. I fully agree that he is on a short leash, and that 3 yrs in he has yet to earn his salary. If he doesn't show us what he had in college, he won't be around next yr. Basically we overpaid for him a bunch, and cheated ourselves out of a real #10. I do not believe that a guy can be here 3 yrs and still not "get it" nor be able to catch the simplest of passes. Not getting open means he isn't tough enough, isn't quick enough...or frankly, just doesn't care. Man I would love to see him have a career yr, but I wouldn't bet money on it.
The Bald Eagle, #14, Yelberton Abraham Tittle comes to mind. Damn that Lou Cordeleone trade that sent YA to the Giants.

...reading history...

I actually got to see Y.A. Tittle play for the 9ers a Kezar.
Man I LOVED him in college, he seemed unstoppable at Texas Tech. Great route running, EXCELLENT hands, big time clutch catches, ability to separate..etc. I was so thrilled the day we STOLE him from the Raiders..but then the holdout and Deion drama took place and it all came crashing down.

My love turned to hate real quick. I LOVED reading about Vern rippin him a new @ss. He has a LONG way ( even more so after those terrible dropped passes in the NO game and not showing up against the Gmen ) to win me back. YOU BROKE MY HEART FREDO!!!!!!!

This is what was reported after he signed his deal=

===================

Crabtree gets a six-year contract that can turn into a five-year deal if he lives up to his potential as the 10th pick in the 2009 draft, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton.According to the source, Crabtree has a couple of scenarios that could void the sixth year of his contract. If he goes to a Pro Bowl during his first four years, along with playing 80 percent of the offensive snaps during a separate season in which the 49ers reach the playoffs, the source said the contract voids to five years. Another provision would be going to a Pro Bowl in the first four years along with going to a second Pro Bowl in five years. According to the source, the Crabtree contract is for six years and $32 million that could maximize to $40 million if he achieves every incentive in the deal. The guarantee in the contract is $17 million, but he is expected to make $19 million over the first three years and $23 million over the first four years. The five-year deal is worth $28 million, according to the source.

===================

09 = bust
10 = bust
11 = average
12 = ??

"If he goes to a Pro Bowl during his first four years, along with playing 80 percent of the offensive snaps during a separate season in which the 49ers reach the playoffs, the source said the contract voids to five years"

Since Crabtree took 65 percent of the offensive snaps last year, that doesn't count towards his "out clause"

"Another provision would be going to a Pro Bowl in the first four years along with going to a second Pro Bowl in five years"

The only way he gets to void year 6 is if he makes the Pro Bowl in 2012 and 2013.

I think we will see a VERY motivated Crabtree this year so that he can opt out of his contract after 2013. Then he can go where he always wanted to play from the get go...Dallas. If he makes the Pro Bowl the next two years? ILL PACK HIS BAGS FOR HIM!!!!
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Apr 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM ]
Originally posted by eastie:

...reading history...

Why, you old fart!
I'm not sure Crabtree with every be that dynamic in the pros, but I do know that like Bear Pascoe, Alex Smith ruined Crabtree's career....
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
That vid shows he gets good uncontested release off the line. Makes me wonder if he has trouble with press coverage. Slow getting off the line. Consequently, timing is all messed up. QB only has 3 seconds or so in the pocket to get him the ball.

Yes he has problems with press coverage and problems in gaining sepraration in man coverage. His number at TT were inflated due to the spread system he played in. He cam einto the NFL thinking that he's a superstar and when he actually stepped on the field he had to realise that the DBs are faster and stronger than the ones in college, that the coverage disguises are much more elaborate in the NFL, and that it's essential to run correct routes.
Originally posted by eastie:

...reading history...

Why, you old fart!

And lovin it!
I don't think Crabtree has what it takes to be a #1 receiver in the NFL. But I do think he can learn to be a very productive #2. I'm praying Randy Moss does a complete 180 degree turn and comes in hungry and in shape. If so, this will take a lot of pressure off Crabtree.

That said, MC knows he MUST improve on two fronts:

1. Chemistry with Alex. Do what you need to do it get it. Can't stress how important it is to have a full training camp. If it takes spending an extra hour after practice each and every time, you do it! I personally don't think Crabs is lazy, but I don't see him putting in the additional hours needed to be elite.

2. Practice getting faster. MC does struggle getting separation. We all know Alex by now. No separation=no pass.

No excuses for Crabs this year. He knows what needs improvment. Git 'er done Mike!
You guys are crazy. He led this team to 13-3.
Originally posted by Joecool:
You guys are crazy. He led this team to 13-3.

He might be better for another team, when his contract is up he will be gone and I seriously doubt the Niners will put forth a huge effort to keep him.
he doesn't show up this year he is gone