There are 157 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Brandon Jacobs a 49er

[ Edited by DirtyP on Mar 28, 2012 at 1:57 PM ]
He can help this team carrying the ball 3-5 times a game (first down(s) and TD(s). How many times did we fail to gain a yard the past few years? He can also be a solid replacement for a 2 or 3 game stretch along with Kendall Hunter if/when Gore goes down.

Solid move. Good move for this year. This team is trying to win now. I like it.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
No need to take things so personally...you stated something as it was factual, I merely asked how you knew this to be true. You replied with your opinion...good enough for me, even if I disagree.

1st: my bad breh

I used the word probably in my post for a reason. He hasn't been effective in space for a while and he really doesn't play very physical. His best attribute is his size which is why I figure the only meaningful carries he will get are those where he only needs a yard or two for a first down or touchdown. Its will be difficult to stop a guy his size from gaining any ground even if his skills have declined.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Mar 28, 2012 at 1:58 PM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by pd24:
But you just said he was a camp body.

Its called get the best players into camp that you can and let the best ones emerge on the field. Also known as normal NFL activity. Also known as I shouldn't need to explain this to you.
If you don't feel the need to explain, why are you replying to me twice? if Jacobs was a camp body, he would be back with the Giants where he would be the #2. The only way I think they cut him is if he causes trouble. Also, I don't think we have room for 7 rookies on this team so 2 or 3 drafted players might not make it/ It might be doos to look for a camp body in round 5, 6, or 7 and that player might have more upsude than a UDFA.
If you don't feel the need to explain, why are you replying to me twice? if Jacobs was a camp body, he would be back with the Giants where he would be the #2. The only way I think they cut him is if he causes trouble. Also, I don't think we have room for 7 rookies on this team so 2 or 3 drafted players might not make it/ It might be doos to look for a camp body in round 5, 6, or 7 and that player might have more upsude than a UDFA.

Why do you feel the need to try to poke holes in someone else's opinion? I am entitled to my own as you are.

The Giants cut Brandon Jacobs and did not try to get him back. He was not the second best RB on there roster last year either.

Jacobs is far from a lock to make the roster whether you want to admit that or not. He is old and he does one thing and one thing only well which is use his size to gain yards after contact. He will get a shot to prove himself in camp but thats about it.

Why do you feel the need to try to poke holes in someone else's opinion? I am entitled to my own as you are.

The Giants cut Brandon Jacobs and did not try to get him back. He was not the second best RB on there roster last year either.

Jacobs is far from a lock to make the roster whether you want to admit that or not. He is old and he does one thing and one thing only well which is use his size to gain yards after contact. He will get a shot to prove himself in camp but thats about it.

I respect your opinion, but I don't think he is "far from a lock." He poops on Anthony Dixon. With Jacobs, we would've sealed the game late in the 4th in the NFCC. Dixon had 2 tries to get 2 yards and didn't. Jacobs would be able to.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
No need to take things so personally...you stated something as it was factual, I merely asked how you knew this to be true. You replied with your opinion...good enough for me, even if I disagree.

1st: my bad breh

I used the word probably in my post for a reason. He hasn't been effective in space for a while and he really doesn't play very physical. His best attribute is his size which is why I figure the only meaningful carries he will get are those where he only needs a yard or two for a first down or touchdown. Its will be difficult to stop a guy his size from gaining any ground even if his skills have declined.

Fair enough...just seriously doubt they signed Brandon Jacobs as a camp body. RBs in general and veteran RBs in particular are low value in comparison to other offensive weapons so even though they got him on the cheap, he'll almost certainly be Gore's backup...to your point, whether or not he performs is another matter. I think/hope he'll be a nice change-up from Gore, but we'll definitely see.
Saw quite a bit of negativity on MM's blog...but I really don't see the need for it. Worst case scenario: Jacobs doesn't perform well enough to make the team. Yet, you know he'll push Dixon, perhaps others, to step up their games. Best case scenario: he'll come back to beast mode in a new town, new RB coach, new offense, fresh opportunity. We've all seen it happen many times in the NFL. Castoffs typically have a chip on their shoulder and I'd love to see BJ's motivate him to prove he's not done punishing tacklers.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
.jacobs has been on the decline and hes soft as f**k for a guy his size. hunter seems like hes got more toughness than this guy even tho hes as big as one of jacobs legs.

THANK YOU!!!!!!Well said,ESPECIALLY the part bout Hunter
Originally posted by savestheday:
Well that makes things interesting. I guess Harbaugh and company really weren't happy with Dixon's progression last year. Gore, Jacobs and Hunter make for an intriguing backfield.

Yep Harbaugh really questioned Dixon's emotions and work ethic ever since our bye last October.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
This is the Brandon Jacobs Harbaugh is gonna get

Sure he looks great when there are huge holes, he has a head of steam and gets to truck a 180lb DB. I wish they had lowlights of him on youtube. I cant count the amount of times I watched Giants games and he was tackled behind the line of scrimmage or for no gain.

He actually trucked LaRon Landry in that gif, who is by far the biggest DB in the game.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Deion Sanders called him the tip-toe burglar. Maybe Rathman can exorcise the pansy dancing b***h out of him and return him to a good downhill runner.

i think its a good pickup. if anything he will push dixon harder. he's bigger and more proven, his only downside is he doesnt play special teams. it will be interesting to see what happens. we now have 5 RBs, and only gore and hunter are locks.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Yep Harbaugh really questioned Dixon's emotions and work ethic ever since our bye last October.
agree. he could not do much about it at the time as he was pretty much having to make do with the players left over from the previous regime,, now he has some time to clear out who he does not want, we saw that with spencer, we will see that with chilo and norris and maybe dixon. if he would spend less time tweeting and more time trying to pick up a yard on third and one in a nfc title game i doubt this move would have been made. nothing wrong with veterns who have won super bowls on our team. moss and jacobs are here to help us get over the hump and then next year some young wide outs will take over for moss and i still think we get our young new gore next year in the draft.gore knows he will not see alot of carries taken from him with this move and that will keep him happy
Originally posted by 9erfreak:
Don't care for Jacob's mouth, but like his play making ablility over Dixon all day long. Guessing he is gonna be used for short yardage/goalline situations, and pass blocking on passing downs. How's his hands and route running capablities on passing plays?

You think he's coming in to block on passing downs? Thats the strongest part of Gores game and the reason he rarely comes off the field

I am going off what others have posted about him being put in for short yardage/goaline and pass blocking situations. I think the more fresh we can keep Gore by limiting his carries, the more it will benifit him and the team come Dec and January. Jacobs weighs 265 Gore is 217 I'd rather Jacobs take on DEs and LBs Pass blocking than Gore, esp if it keeps Gore fresh for the post season.