There are 229 users in the forums

Brandon Jacobs a 49er

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Originally posted by Butter:
I would much rather have spent that money on a veteran OG and drafted a young RB in the draft. This is one of those times when I just have to rely on my faith of the Niners FO/Coaches.

Agreed

It's a 2 mil contract and not even fully guaranteed.... We didn't break the bank for this guy. He wasn't motivated last year from what I heard. If he is anything like he was his first 5 years as an everyday player than we got a steal. Even last season he was 5 of 7 in short yardage situations.

I wonder what the combined weight would be of our team when we go big with Soap on the line with a full set of TEs and Jacobs in the backfield lol.
Originally posted by 9erfreak:
Don't care for Jacob's mouth, but like his play making ablility over Dixon all day long. Guessing he is gonna be used for short yardage/goalline situations, and pass blocking on passing downs. How's his hands and route running capablities on passing plays?

You think he's coming in to block on passing downs? Thats the strongest part of Gores game and the reason he rarely comes off the field
Ill reserve judgment until I see the contract terms, my guess is he is coming in at a bargain like mario. Otherwise where is this cap space coming from, releasing parys? possibly releasing Dixon?

As we saw with how long it took for guys like Tolbert and Bush to get signed, there is a very limited market for veteran RB's.... Im just hoping his contract is based on him making the roster, so we can cut him with minimal cost if this move backfires.

Are we planning on bundling picks for a big move in the first? Seems like they are trying to put together the roster before the draft even has happened, camp is gonna be way more competitive than we've seen before.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
The more I think about it the more I think this could be a good move. Jacobs is still a very effective short yardage and goal-line runner. That was a big hole on this team last year and really the last few years. Jacobs is an improvement over Anthony Dixon. Yeah Dixon is a good ST's player and Jacobs won't add any value in that department but we did sign Rock Cartwright who is a good ST's player and will probably be the backup FB, replacing Moran Norris who was not a ST's player. So we come out better in both departments if you ask me.

This is why we got him he's the 3rd RB option. Goaline and short yardage, simple as that.

Originally posted by valrod33:
Eric Branch Also In Football
Per Pro Football Focus, Brandon Jacobs converted 5 of 7 third-and-short situations in 2011 (2 yards or less).

Eric Branch ‏ @Eric_Branch
The #49ers were 17 of 35 on third-and-short (2 yards or less) in 2011.

49ers were dreadful on 3rd an short. He's not a tandem back to team up with gore, hes a situational RB for SF
Again, so much doubt about the choice of this player by our FO. Why? The contract is for a year. No biggie and he brings competition to the RB squad. Also, The Rathman won't tolerate any shenanigans from him so we cool. He will be better, IMO, on this team.

There's a reason Baalke brought him in.
Yes... this is a good move by Harbaugh and the 49er organization.

WOW.

and we are not even in draft mode yet'... LOL

GoNiners2012
Didnt see this coming at all, but oh well. Hope he brings no attitude and help us move the chains.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I love how people cry and whine about signings or draft picks who they think were terrible signings/picks, and then they end up busting out and having great seasons, like Aldon. Hardly anyone was excited, people want Amukamara, Quinn or god forbid Gabbert.

I take a wait and see approach with all signings, and hope for the best. Just happpy we will have guys with experience at RB, WR, ST, etc.... instead of unproven players or those who haven't produced.

Agreed.
Originally posted by Youngb:
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Originally posted by Butter:
I would much rather have spent that money on a veteran OG and drafted a young RB in the draft. This is one of those times when I just have to rely on my faith of the Niners FO/Coaches.

Agreed

It's a 2 mil contract and not even fully guaranteed.... We didn't break the bank for this guy. He wasn't motivated last year from what I heard. If he is anything like he was his first 5 years as an everyday player than we got a steal. Even last season he was 5 of 7 in short yardage situations.

I wonder what the combined weight would be of our team when we go big with Soap on the line with a full set of TEs and Jacobs in the backfield lol.

Good to know, that makes me feel allot better about this pick. Jacobs as a #3 RB I can live with for that kind of money. I still think this staff wont hesitate to draft a RB if value falls to them. It looks as if Baalke wants to bring in proven vets just past their prime for depth competition, not a bad philosophy as long as we arent discounting the value of youth.

Lets put it this way, I dont think Baalke and Harbaugh ever want to start picking up FA's off the street again at any position. If/when Gore starts hurting during the season a Hunter/Jacobs combo is far more enticing than a Hunter/Dixon combo, at least Jacobs plays like a big back and doesnt audition for dancing with the stars right before he hits the hole.
I like the signing. We need a bruiser and if anyone can turn Jacobs into a bruiser like he was a few years ago...it's Rathman

Is Jacobs officially the 3rd string HB or what
Originally posted by ninertico:
Rathman won't tolerate any shenanigans from him so we cool.

Thats a real good point,got a lotta respect for Rathman as a position coach.He'll ride Jacobs A$$ for dancin like he rides Dixons.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Is Jacobs officially the 3rd string HB or what

Him and Hunter will each get 100+ carries imo with gore getting around 200. Just a guess though based on the fact that we ran the ball 500 times last year.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Wow, my most hated player in the league goes to SF.

Worst signing since Lawrence Phillips.

A no-talent, washed up bum that runs his mouth every chance he gets, putting added/undue pressure on his team.

HATE HATE HATE THIS MOVE. I watch the Giants constantly and this guy is a hack.

Far from the most hated player in the league. Closer to the most irrelevant player in the league at this stage in his career. He's just a camp body, if he makes the team he probably only gets on the field when we need a yard or two.

And you know this how? Why not just sign a UDFA if we just want a camp body or someone to get a "yard or two?"
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
And you know this how? Why not just sign a UDFA if we just want a camp body or someone to get a "yard or two?"

Because he is a 30 year old 265 pound one trick pony and we signed him to a minimum deal. Just an educated guess I suppose. Open to debate.

Why sign an UDFA when you can have a veteran who can get the job done? The 49ers are obviously thinking win now.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Mar 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone