LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 309 users in the forums

Better to be a hyped super bowl contender or to be underrated and not talked about?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DirtyP:
As a fan how in the hell can you like being the underdogs better? Do you guys not love watching the 49ers on sportscenter? Talk s**t to Raider fans? etc?

dont need validation from media sources to be able to talk crap about the likes of the raiders and cowpukes
As a fan how in the hell can you like being the underdogs better? Do you guys not love watching the 49ers on sportscenter? Talk s**t to Raider fans? etc?

cus it makes the team better. the team > you
Originally posted by Allx9er:

dont need validation from media sources to be able to talk crap about the likes of the raiders and cowpukes

Exactly. We have more important business to attend to. Specifically, tying and surpassing the damned Steelers.
i think its better as a motivational tool to be the underdog, but it feels good when everyone knows your the baddest motherf**ker on the planet
It's nice to be the underdog, and you sometimes get lesser play from your opponents, but I can't complain about segments on football/sports shows and it can feel good to be a bull when you're confident your team can back it up.
The only good thing about being underrated is the strategic advantage we get from a team not properly preparing for us. Beyond that, it sucks. I would much rather have the 9ers be the team that is respected and feared on the field, if for no other reason in that it makes being a fan that much more enjoyable. For the past decade, all of my friends (most non-9er fans) have joked about the team's ineptitude and I had to just sit there and pretty much agree. After last season, I have finally been able to have real conversations about the Niners and where they rank up in the league. No one's laughing anymore, and I like that...
Under dog, people in doubt will go for the under dog. And players seem to play better with that card . . . . people have written them off so they go all out with nothing to lose. On being over hyped . . . . . see Eagles 2011. More pressure to perform when people have said you've won that game before you even put on the pads.
i loved being under dogs last year, but with success comes expectations. this is the 1st season in a long time we will be going into the season really believing we have a great shot to be super bowl champs. its a good feeling
Definitely better being the underdogs. The more underestimated you are, the hungrier you become. I loved hearing before each game how there was "no way" we would beat teams like NY, Philly, New Orleans, etc. The expression on the announcers faces after the game were priceless.
I like being dissed and an underdog.

Brings out the meanness and toughness.

Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Exactly. We have more important business to attend to. Specifically, tying and surpassing the damned Steelers.

lol. We as fans don't have any business to attend to besides watching and rooting for our team. Harbaughs team is no longer an underdog so get used to it. I have full confidence that he will keep the team focused. Were you complaining during the dynasty years about not being an underdog?
Originally posted by 49blitz:
cus it makes the team better. the team > you

It in no way makes the team better. The 49ers were the best team in the league for 15 years and they kept it up fine without being the underdogs every year
[ Edited by DirtyP on Mar 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM ]

Who talks s**t about the cowboys anymore? You must not be from the bay area.

When you are a good team you cannot be the underdog anymore. We are one of the truly elite teams in the NFL now and I for one couldn't be happier about it. If my memory serves me correctly we won 4 of our 5 superbowls as the overwhelming favorites both before the game and at the start of the season. I think Harbaugh is more than capable of keeping the team focused.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Mar 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM ]
You guys who prefer to be the underdogs have been conditioned by the Yorks for the past 10 years to be excited about a team with low to no expectations. We are good now guys, its totally cool to enjoy it.

Who talks s**t about the cowboys anymore? You must not be from the bay area.

When you are a good team you cannot be the underdog anymore. We are one of the truly elite teams in the NFL now and I for one couldn't be happier about it. If my memory serves me correctly we won 4 of our 5 superbowls as the overwhelming favorites both before the game and at the start of the season. I think Harbaugh is more than capable of keeping the team focused.
born at ucsf raised in Oakland then moved to sac after high school plenty of cowboy and raider fans up here. ya they're (pukes) in the dumps but they were pretty lippy after they beat the niners
[ Edited by Allx9er on Mar 28, 2012 at 4:27 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone