LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Better to be a hyped super bowl contender or to be underrated and not talked about?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I love watching interviews and reports done on the Niners. Yeah I don't need the media to reaffirm my position on the Niners, but sometimes it's so nice seeing them get some attention. It helps them too. The more attention they get, the more money they make from commercials etc.

I do like being the underdog like we were last year and coming up when everyone counted us out and proved them all wrong.
Love always bein in the mix of things,it felt good in decades past that folks had to account for us EVERY year!!hated '03-'10!!!im spoiled rotten bout my team,n for the longest lookn back I had a lil bit of a entitled feeling,like we belonged in the mix if not on top.Bill put us there.
Loved whoopn on my friends on Tecmo Bowl all the way up to Madden '05.Seein us on tv most weekends,even though im in Columbus Ohio,bein able to talk smack to bungle n clowns fans.
I was salty that erbody was gettn talkd bout but us,but we back now,jus hope that the talk n the hype is backd up w production as opposed to how the seachickens fell off.Hate that we cant win em all,but buttin heads year in and year out w the Cowgirls,Gmen,Bears,Pack,Skins,etc. were jus great games.im lookin forward to mixin it up w todays well run organiztions like in years past.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
As a fan how in the hell can you like being the underdogs better? Do you guys not love watching the 49ers on sportscenter? Talk s**t to Raider fans? etc?

As fans, we do nothing but twist everything and make it seem like it's an advantage to us. Underdogs? Better for us. Alex Smith knowing the team wanted somebody else? Better for us because now he's "pissed." Moss being old? Better for us because he's "hungry." And so on and so forth.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
As fans, we do nothing but twist everything and make it seem like it's an advantage to us. Underdogs? Better for us. Alex Smith knowing the team wanted somebody else? Better for us because now he's "pissed." Moss being old? Better for us because he's "hungry." And so on and so forth.

i like you
  • Antix
  • Veteran
For once in my life im not worried one bit about this team.
Ask Eagles fans this question. My answer will be the same.
It is better to be the underdog of course but you guys have to come to terms with the fact that those days are most likely behind us and probably will not return for the foreseeable future.

Underrated or not I'd rather be good and therefore must accept what comes with it. There are definitely worse problems to have.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Mar 30, 2012 at 11:16 PM ]
People are to use to being a bottom feeding team. In the 80s teams hated to se SF on the schedule. I would rather have that. Teams who play scarwd make as many if not more mistakes then a team who under rates an opponent because that can be over come with in game adjustments. Once the opponent is in your head your not getting him out of of it.
Originally posted by 49blitz:
i recently saw nfl network's "review of the season" hardly any niners footage. first i was angry. but when i thought bout it, that's good. now we have a pissed off team led by a disrespected alex smith and with a hungry moss

I doubt the 49ers are heading into 2012 worried about whether they were on NFL Network for 30 seconds or 90 seconds
[ Edited by SmileyJetson on Apr 1, 2012 at 2:45 PM ]
d*esn't matter in the end unless opinions from espn, fox, cbs or abc are something you pay attention to. It's not wrong to pay attention to stuff like that, it really isn't. In the end, every aspect of this game is entertainment. The talking heads are an extension of this entertainment.

In some regards, some people like howie long, or terry bradshaw will always downplay the 49ers because of personal reasons. It's who they are. Trying to change the outlook of some of the commentators is pointless. Chris Berman will always give the 49ers good press. Long, Bradshaw, Strahan, and many other clowns will downplay what the 49ers are currently doing because of what the 49ers did to them while they were playing.

For myself, I will be cheering in the stands regardless of our expectations the same as last year. I was just as excited when Tedd Ginn ran back the two kicks against the seahawks as I was during the better 90's teams.

Edit: nevermind... they did the word jumble in everyone.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 1, 2012 at 3:04 PM ]
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Ask Eagles fans this question. My answer will be the same.

The Eagles sucking had nothing to do with the hype they received. They were going to suck whether they were talked up or not. This logic is like buying a lotto scratcher and using a "lucky" quarter to scratch it, thinking the result will be different than if you used some random penny - if you're gonna win you're gonna win no matter what.
Love being the underdog
Originally posted by 49erRider:
The Eagles sucking had nothing to do with the hype they received. They were going to suck whether they were talked up or not. This logic is like buying a lotto scratcher and using a "lucky" quarter to scratch it, thinking the result will be different than if you used some random penny - if you're gonna win you're gonna win no matter what.

Umm, thats not what I was saying. Im just saying they probably would prefer to be low profile for a while after how hugely disappointing their season was last year.
Fans really don't like either. If your team is good and not talked about ppl loose their minds. They stalk every single analyst just to see who does or doesn't pick the.
Share 49ersWebzone