There are 251 users in the forums

Can Willis make the HOF with...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I think if by this point he wins a Superbowl, and has 2-3 more consecutive Pro Bowls it's a lock (at least a Superbowl). -Bowman is catching up with Willis though, and if Willis plays invisible again on the D next year N-VO will be taking his place for years to come.

You obviously wasn't watching the same games we were.

Like it or not, Bowman was our best LB last year.

I thought they both played well.

I definitely agree. I'm not knocking Patrick Willis, of course.

Teams prepare plays away from Willis. Any plays Willis makes, he runs down with his instinct and athletisism.

The plays come to Bowman, who does an equally good job in shutting down his side of the field.

Up until now, teams have been taking their chances with Bowman. Now, they'll have to consider abandoning plays in the middle of the field from the LOS within 10 yards.
They will make a hall of Willis just for him
Originally posted by Zachary:
Can the HOF make Patrick Willis?

I know honestly. HOF is kinda suspect though. I mean Cris Carter isn't in. How does that work?
duh.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Teams prepare plays away from Willis. Any plays Willis makes, he runs down with his instinct and athletisism.

The plays come to Bowman, who does an equally good job in shutting down his side of the field.

Up until now, teams have been taking their chances with Bowman. Now, they'll have to consider abandoning plays in the middle of the field from the LOS within 10 yards.

In the games without Willis, I saw Bowman make plays, but he also missed several plays/tackles that Willis would've made.
Originally posted by dhp318:

In the games without Willis, I saw Bowman make plays, but he also missed several plays/tackles that Willis would've made.

Yep. Can't recall specifics, but I got that impression.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Construction of the Hall of Fame is not complete without Patrick Willis making the Hall of Fame.
Willis will be the first person to make the HOF while still active
Three possible Hall of Fame 9ers who are the best, or among the top few, at their positions in the NFL: my prediction--Willis makes it, the others do not (it will killl me if Justin doesn't get in but he isn't a hero type).

Patrick Willis--better athletic tools than any MLB in history, absolutely textbook tackles, covers more ground than any other LB in football history (Bowman is trying to take this title but has to improve his tackling).

Justin Smith--great athlete, uses every trick in the book, try to find him losing containment (you won't), plays better as the game goes on and best when it counts.

Frank Gore--great runner, better blocker, seldom allows his man to the QB, plays hurt, great team mate.

May add Vernon to the list this year.

Why I love the three players mentioned above: they help their team mates understand the importance of the simple, not so glamorous, aspects of football:

--wrapping up
--staying balanced and on your feet to keep a guy away from the QB
--going all out for a sack but never losing sight of containment
--covering your team mates backs
--encouraging team mates when the game is on the line
-- being good locker room characters
--never speaking ill of team mates
Get him a SB ring and he's a sure lock for the HOF.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Three possible Hall of Fame 9ers who are the best, or among the top few, at their positions in the NFL: my prediction--Willis makes it, the others do not (it will killl me if Justin doesn't get in but he isn't a hero type).

Patrick Willis--better athletic tools than any MLB in history, absolutely textbook tackles, covers more ground than any other LB in football history (Bowman is trying to take this title but has to improve his tackling).

Justin Smith--great athlete, uses every trick in the book, try to find him losing containment (you won't), plays better as the game goes on and best when it counts.

Frank Gore--great runner, better blocker, seldom allows his man to the QB, plays hurt, great team mate.

May add Vernon to the list this year.

Why I love the three players mentioned above: they help their team mates understand the importance of the simple, not so glamorous, aspects of football:

--wrapping up
--staying balanced and on your feet to keep a guy away from the QB
--going all out for a sack but never losing sight of containment
--covering your team mates backs
--encouraging team mates when the game is on the line
-- being good locker room characters
--never speaking ill of team mates

No way Vernon will get in. Also, I doubt Frank Gore will get in either. Good RB's like him are dime a dozen in the HOF's eyes. I can see Justin Smith and Willis getting in though.
I think if by this point he wins a Superbowl, and has 2-3 more consecutive Pro Bowls it's a lock (at least a Superbowl). -Bowman is catching up with Willis though, and if Willis plays invisible again on the D next year N-VO will be taking his place for years to come.

wtf is ths ish here???....bowman is catching up to willis, willis plays invisible again this year..........really wtf is this crap???
Yes. A couple more PBs and he is in. Especially if he stays as respected as he is now. Also a defensive player of the year award wouldnt hurt, and he easily could have or will win one.
Originally posted by sfgip10:
No way Vernon will get in. Also, I doubt Frank Gore will get in either. Good RB's like him are dime a dozen in the HOF's eyes. I can see Justin Smith and Willis getting in though.

That's why it is qualified in my comments. Willis has the best chance and both VD and Justin are great players playing positions where it is extremely difficult to get into the Hall. Gore just hasn't been a super back at any time, but consistently among the leaders and better than the leaders at the small things--blocking. If he had been a better receiving threat it would be more likely but it is what it is.

I mentioned VD because his physical ability is at the Hall level--stronger and faster than almost any TE and a better blocker. Once again--blocking doesn't count when people vote for the Hall.
Originally posted by Allx9er:

wtf is ths ish here???....bowman is catching up to willis, willis plays invisible again this year..........really wtf is this crap???

I know eh. I wasn't going to respond but the football intelligence on this board is laughable at best.

You would think Snakes is reputable with his post count but in this case ... I can't even say it cause I will get warned.

Willis had probably his best year last year.
Share 49ersWebzone