LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Can Willis make the HOF with...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Patrick Willis doesn't need the HOF. The HOF that needs Patrick Willis.
Yes.

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I think if by this point he wins a Superbowl, and has 2-3 more consecutive Pro Bowls it's a lock (at least a Superbowl). -Bowman is catching up with Willis though, and if Willis plays invisible again on the D next year N-VO will be taking his place for years to come.

You obviously wasn't watching the same games we were.

Like it or not, Bowman was our best LB last year.

based on......? Tackles numbers?

I'd have to dig through the numbers but Bowman didn't seem as effective when Willis was out. Plus it was on his solo watch the RB 100 yard streak ended. Willis played on much s**tter teams and played at an elite level. So I'm curious why you would say Bowman was our best LB?

its easier for bowman to make plays when the offense has to deal with J smith and P willis... leaving bowman space to make plays.... flip it around to the offense preparing for bowman i think willis would win DPOY, IMO.... Willis has been our best player for 5 years now and its not even close...

without a doubt, when his career is over regardless of rings he will be a first ballot HOF.
Patrick Willis invented the HOF. There is no HOF without Patrick Willis. Ray Lewis is actually the predecessor of Patrick Willis. True story.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
He needs a ring and several more years of excellence.

No he doesn't. There are plenty of players in the hall without a ring. The most overused, tired, cliche argument out there.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
No he doesn't. There are plenty of players in the hall without a ring. The most overused, tired, cliche argument out there.

True. I think he's a first ballot hall of famer without a ring IF he keeps this up for the next 5 years; however, you know how the dumbasses in canton judge-if a player doesn't win a ring, then they'll less likely be inducted first try.
Originally posted by Zachary:
Can the HOF make Patrick Willis?

THIS!!!!!
I think if by this point he wins a Superbowl, and has 2-3 more consecutive Pro Bowls it's a lock (at least a Superbowl). -Bowman is catching up with Willis though, and if Willis plays invisible again on the D next year N-VO will be taking his place for years to come.

I thought they both played well.

I definitely agree. I'm not knocking Patrick Willis, of course.

I'd have to dig through the numbers but Bowman didn't seem as effective when Willis was out. Plus it was on his solo watch the RB 100 yard streak ended. Willis played on much s**tter teams and played at an elite level. So I'm curious why you would say Bowman was our best LB?

You can base it on the stats if you want. I'm basing it on Bowman being in on the plays the same way Willis is, only slightly more often in 2011.

I know the 100-yard streak ended without Willis, but you can't just blame that on Bowman. There were 10 others that could have made stops and the defense is obviously better with Willis than without him. I wouldn't say Bowman is better than Willis, but he performed as well or better in 2011. I wouldn't keep Bowman over Willis, though. Willis is the best MLB in the game on a consistent basis.

If you think training in tubes will make you the best line backer in all of football like Patrick Willis, then your absolutely correct they will do that. Bowman should be paying attention. He might be able to be like Patrick Willis some day. Can't say His name again or He might come find me.
[ Edited by jvangeystel on Mar 27, 2012 at 5:49 AM ]
You can base it on the stats if you want. I'm basing it on Bowman being in on the plays the same way Willis is, only slightly more often in 2011.

I know the 100-yard streak ended without Willis, but you can't just blame that on Bowman. There were 10 others that could have made stops and the defense is obviously better with Willis than without him. I wouldn't say Bowman is better than Willis, but he performed as well or better in 2011. I wouldn't keep Bowman over Willis, though. Willis is the best MLB in the game on a consistent basis.

Yes Bowman was in on more plays, but that is because he was left to roam the middle of the field while Patrick Willis was in man coverage on a high percentage of passing downs. When a player is in man coverage, it is actually better that he is NOT in on the play, because he actually did his job and took his man OUT of the play.

There are plenty of examples teams tackle leaders not being their best defenders on the field. If you notice, as soon Willis was removed from the starting lineup our defense gave up more average points, allowed there first 100 yard rusher AND there first rushing touchdown. This was not a coincidence.

Bowman is a good linebacker but he is not in the same league as Patrick Willis.
A Super Bowl victory would go a long way.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Hall Of Fame?? He'll be in the Living Room of Fame.
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:

its easier for bowman to make plays when the offense has to deal with J smith and P willis... leaving bowman space to make plays.... flip it around to the offense preparing for bowman i think willis would win DPOY, IMO.... Willis has been our best player for 5 years now and its not even close...

without a doubt, when his career is over regardless of rings he will be a first ballot HOF.

bowman did not outplay willis last year, whoever said that was not watching the games last year. willis made huge plays last year, tackles arent everything
Share 49ersWebzone