2012 49ers WR Corps

Originally posted by PTulini:
Current Depth Chart

1. Michael Crabtree
2. Randy Moss
3. Mario Manningham
4. Kyle Williams
5. Ted Ginn

Even with Randy Moss, Michael Crabtree, Mario Manningham, Ted Ginn Jr., and Kyle Williams... I'm still not satisfied with the 49ers WR depth! I'd add 2 more in the draft. I'm not banking on Randy Moss making the 49ers 53-man roster! And Ted Ginn is primarily a return man on special teams, NOTHING MORE.

Just to clarify, yes I think we should draft 2 WRs. I'm thinking one in the first three rounds. (preferably round 1 or 2) Then again in the later rounds (5-7). I will say this, after the production we saw fom last year's draft class, I trust Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh to find the best value throughout the draft. I'm sure they see our weaknesses.
[ Edited by PTulini on Mar 24, 2012 at 8:46 PM ]
Originally posted by dave1003:
The guy will never be a 1. Best case scenario he becomes a 2. I would take manningham over him right now. Better route runner, better hands, faster. He was the giants 3 last year and look what he did in the playoffs.

Mario Manningham is not better than Michael Crabtree. There is a reason he signed with the 49ers for 2 mil a year and its not because he's an elite receiver that can handle a #1 role. Put Manningham on the 2011 49ers and Crabtree on the 2011 Giants and you would be singing a different tune.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Mar 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM ]
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Draftology:
kyle williams needs to get the hell out of san francisco

This

If someone could take the time to match up all the people who were singing KW praises in the 2nd half of the season to all the KW haters now, a very good chance you will find them to be the same people!!

For the hundredth time, KW never was a bad receiver. I don't think he had many drops, any fumbles.......

The slot receiver position is an important one. Is there anyone on the team who is better than him in this position?

If Cox can sub for Ginn returning kicks, there's no reason to let KW go as he will never have to return them.

Draft 1 WR, and keep it moving.

this. people need to get off KW's nuts, the man is a good receiver.

This x2. Kyle Williams is hell of a slot receiver and just as dangerous as Ginn running the fly sweep. Hell, running the fly sweep one time a game keeps the defense on their toes everytime Williams would go in motion. Almost a guaranteed 10 yard+ play.

Kyle is quick and shifty, like Wes Welker. Welker's first 2 seasons in the league netted less than 25 catches and no TDs. Williams has 23 catches and 3 TDs to his resume already. Will he be better than Welker? I highly doubt it. But the two are very comparable and very good at their game.
what limas sweed doing these days?

Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by dave1003:
The guy will never be a 1. Best case scenario he becomes a 2. I would take manningham over him right now. Better route runner, better hands, faster. He was the giants 3 last year and look what he did in the playoffs.

Mario Manningham is not better than Michael Crabtree. There is a reason he signed with the 49ers for 2 mil a year and its not because he's an elite receiver that can handle a #1 role. Put Manningham on the 2011 49ers and Crabtree on the 2011 Giants and you would be singing a different tune.

Manningham is better than Crabtree. Fans that disagree with this are still living off of Crabtrees college years. Do you really think Crabtrees contract reflects his level of play relative to Manningham's Contract? If Crabtree, Morgan and Manningham were all on the market this year together, IMO Crabtree would have been the last one signed, and also would have been paid the least.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

This

If someone could take the time to match up all the people who were singing KW praises in the 2nd half of the season to all the KW haters now, a very good chance you will find them to be the same people!!

For the hundredth time, KW never was a bad receiver. I don't think he had many drops, any fumbles.......

The slot receiver position is an important one. Is there anyone on the team who is better than him in this position?

If Cox can sub for Ginn returning kicks, there's no reason to let KW go as he will never have to return them.

This x2. Kyle Williams is hell of a slot receiver and just as dangerous as Ginn running the fly sweep. Hell, running the fly sweep one time a game keeps the defense on their toes everytime Williams would go in motion. Almost a guaranteed 10 yard+ play.

Kyle is quick and shifty, like Wes Welker. Welker's first 2 seasons in the league netted less than 25 catches and no TDs. Williams has 23 catches and 3 TDs to his resume already. Will he be better than Welker? I highly doubt it. But the two are very comparable and very good at their game.

He had one less TD than Crabtree......
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

This

I want to keep Kyle Williams. He's a better WR than most people think!
tules, you realiize we have not done one thing with the draft...this is PS and we have upgraded and retained like crazy. Wait for the draft my man, and i bet you see 3 WRs picked, maybe two, and every UDFA WR who can fog a mirror, is going to be in camp. Could be several dozen guys, maybe more. The other thing B& H seem to have a knack for is at the time of cutting to 53, some good talent gets cut....and they will be on it. I think we will be good. Lord knows, coach and GM know we need good hands guys who can get open. I'm not saying we'll find a Welker out there, but I expect some guys in his mold...after the draft, then again during UDFA tryouts, and finally after ther 53 man cut down...we'll get 2, 3, maybe 4 guys Coach likes. For now...we are way better than at end of season.
Originally posted by PTulini:

This

I want to keep Kyle Williams. He's a better WR than most people think!

I agree. I look at Crabtree as the odd man out. I have a feeling The front office agrees with me, even though most will call me a hater because i dont think Crabtree has what it takes. Most people on this board Have Crabtree as the #1 WR on this roster....He has never, and will never be the best WR on our roster.

People need to let go of the kids mistakes. He was a young kid trying to make plays with the opportunities given to him. Had we gotten some production out of our supposed #1 WR we might not of been in the predicament we were in. If im not mistaken, didn't the kid have a great return in that game that set up a scoring drive? I havent rewatched the game, but i seem to remember...
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
tules, you realiize we have not done one thing with the draft...this is PS and we have upgraded and retained like crazy. Wait for the draft my man, and i bet you see 3 WRs picked, maybe two, and every UDFA WR who can fog a mirror, is going to be in camp. Could be several dozen guys, maybe more. The other thing B& H seem to have a knack for is at the time of cutting to 53, some good talent gets cut....and they will be on it. I think we will be good. Lord knows, coach and GM know we need good hands guys who can get open. I'm not saying we'll find a Welker out there, but I expect some guys in his mold...after the draft, then again during UDFA tryouts, and finally after ther 53 man cut down...we'll get 2, 3, maybe 4 guys Coach likes. For now...we are way better than at end of season.

No argument here... We've already seen Baalke and Harbaugh clearing out the dead weight, and we know Harbaugh loves competition. We're just getting started!
[ Edited by PTulini on Mar 24, 2012 at 9:10 PM ]
We have a decent receiving core on paper BUT last yr we kinda thought the same (Braylon Edwards scissorhands) so lets see what these guys look like on a football field! ;) I'm still way excited shoot we should just split P Willy out wide and see what a cb does with that lol jk
I think it's safe to say that we'll be looking to add a taller, more physical WR. Sure we have Randy Moss, but let's be real, he's 35! How effective can he be now? Can he stay healthy? I have my doubts. The rest of out WRs are all 6'1 and under. We tried Braylon Edwards last season and now we've added Moss, that should tell you something.
Ive been saying they will take Jefferey in the second...

I would love to have Elvis Akpla in the 6/7 or UDFA.
Manningham is better than Crabtree. Fans that disagree with this are still living off of Crabtrees college years. Do you really think Crabtrees contract reflects his level of play relative to Manningham's Contract? If Crabtree, Morgan and Manningham were all on the market this year together, IMO Crabtree would have been the last one signed, and also would have been paid the least.

I really am not about to argue who would be the last to sign, there would be no end to that argument. I really don't think Manningham is a better football player than Michael Crabtree. My friend is a die hard Michigan football fan so I am fairly familiar with his game from watching him in college but you must consider production and potential when comparing two young players.

Lets consider production.

Crabtree. 3 seasons, 175 receptions, 2,240 yards 12 tds

Manningham. 4 seasons, 160 receptions, 2,315 yards 18 tds

Crabtree has had nearly equal production in one less year, and did so in one of the bottom ranked passing attacks in the NFL. So you can't really argue that Manningham is better based of production. As for potential, Michael Crabtree was the 10th overall pick and was touted as the best prospect in the entire draft by many experts. Before they found out he broke his foot some thought he was worthy of the first overall selection. Mario Manningham was a 3rd round pick and was let go by the team that drafted him. They didn't feel it was necessary to match the 2 year, 8 million dollar deal he signed to go to their clear post season rival next year.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Mar 24, 2012 at 11:11 PM ]
Originally posted by DirtyP:

I really am not about to argue who would be the last to sign, there would be no end to that argument. I really don't think Manningham is a better football player than Michael Crabtree. I watched quite a bit of Michigan football so I am fairly familiar with his game. You must consider production and potential when comparing two young players.

Lets consider production.

Crabtree. 3 seasons, 175 receptions, 2,240 yards 12 tds

Manningham. 4 seasons, 160 receptions, 2,315 yards 18 tds

Crabtree has had equal production in one less year, and did so in one of the bottom ranked passing attacks in the NFL. So you can't really argue that Manningham is better based of production. As for potential, Michael Crabtree was the 10th overall pick and was touted as the best prospect in the entire draft by many experts. Before they found out he broke his foot some thought he was worthy of the first overall selection. Mario Manningham was a 3rd round pick and was let go by the team that drafted him. They didn't feel it was necessary to match the 2 year, 8 million dollar deal he signed to go to their clear rival in the post season next year.
College has nothing to do with the NFL....Morgan was a 6th round pick.

Crabtree has also been the Assumed #1 target since he got here, s**t last season he was the only target by midseason, yet he only put up one more TD than Williams... Manningham was not the giants main target ever to my knowledge.