LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

2012 49ers WR Corps

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PTulini:
I think it's safe to say that we'll be looking to add a taller, more physical WR. Sure we have Randy Moss, but let's be real, he's 35! How effective can he be now? Can he stay healthy? I have my doubts. The rest of out WRs are all 6'1 and under. We tried Braylon Edwards last season and now we've added Moss, that should tell you something.

You make it sound like he's 65. They said the same about Jerry Rice at 39 when he went to Oakland and he had 1100 yds receiving. They said it was a fluke and when he became 40 he had 1200 yards. Now I know that Jerry Rice is the greatest receiver of all time but Moss is arguably the second greatest. He's 35, fresh and motivated. He obviously impressed harbaugh and baalke enough to offer him a contract on the spot. As for Braylon I hate to make excuses for the guy but he was injured nearly the whole year. He and Alex were building some good chemistry until he hurt his knee.
[ Edited by dave1003 on Mar 25, 2012 at 2:22 AM ]
Originally posted by dave1003:
You make it sound like he's 65. They said the same about Jerry Rice at 39 when he went to Oakland and he had 1100 yds receiving. They said it was a fluke and when he became 40 he had 1200 yards. Now I know that Jerry Rice is the greatest receiver of all time but Moss is arguably the second greatest of al time. He's 35 fresh and motivated. He obviously impressed harbaugh and baalke enough to offer him a contract on the spot. As for Braylon I hate to make excuses for the guy but he was injured the whole year. He and Alex were building some good chemistry until he hurt his knee.

I feel like some people forget who and what Randy Moss can be for us! He wants a Super Bowl, and he's going to get it next year.

Believe it or not, better and brighter days ahead. Smith being able to drop back and huck up a bomb to Randy Moss is going to make a huge difference in our offense. This team is going to annihilate opponents next year.
I want to keep Kyle Williams. He's a better WR than most people think!

Agree and he has been in the system and can help in TC with the new guys. If he can improve this year he could contribute.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
College has nothing to do with the NFL....Morgan was a 6th round pick.

Crabtree has also been the Assumed #1 target since he got here, s**t last season he was the only target by midseason, yet he only put up one more TD than Williams... Manningham was not the giants main target ever to my knowledge.

Lol nice counter argument. You missed the entire point.

Crabtree was also covered by the opponents best corner every game. Manningham was covered by the nickel back every weak.
I agree. I look at Crabtree as the odd man out. I have a feeling The front office agrees with me, even though most will call me a hater because i dont think Crabtree has what it takes. Most people on this board Have Crabtree as the #1 WR on this roster....He has never, and will never be the best WR on our roster.

People need to let go of the kids mistakes. He was a young kid trying to make plays with the opportunities given to him. Had we gotten some production out of our supposed #1 WR we might not of been in the predicament we were in. If im not mistaken, didn't the kid have a great return in that game that set up a scoring drive? I havent rewatched the game, but i seem to remember...

Lol so who was a better receiver on the 49ers last year? If you seriously say Kyle Williams you should give up trying to sound like you know football.

You are just hoping the front office agrees because you don't like Crabtree. I can almost guarantee you they do not agree with you and he will not be moved this offseason or next offseason, we can put real life money on it if you disagree that strongly

He caught over 70 balls from a guy who didn't even complete 280. Thats about %25 of all of Alex Smith's completions. He also caught 4 of Alex Smiths whopping 17 td's. Thats %25 of the entire teams passing touchdowns and only 2 less than Vernon Davis, who was the team leader. Sounds like the primary WR to me.

Talk about forgiving a guy for his mistakes, how about forgiving Crabtree for not showing up in the NFC championship game? He did score a touchdown against the saints, we would have lost if he did not. Kyle Williams cost us our season, not Michael Crabtree. At least you can say he made 1 play in that game even if was for 3 yards. Kyle Williams had 0 catches and several mishandled punts that ruined our chances of advancing even before the overtime fumble.

Kyle Williams is a scrub with some speed. No better than a 4th receiver on any team.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Mar 25, 2012 at 11:43 AM ]
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Lol so who was a better receiver on the 49ers last year? If you seriously say Kyle Williams you should give up trying to sound like you know football.

You are just hoping the front office agrees because you don't like Crabtree. I can almost guarantee you they do not agree with you and he will not be moved this offseason or next offseason, we can put real life money on it if you disagree that strongly

He caught over 70 balls from a guy who didn't even complete 300. He also caught 4 of Alex Smiths whopping 17 td's. Thats %25 of the entire teams passing touchdowns. Sounds like the primary receiver to me.

Talk about forgiving a guy for his mistakes, how about forgiving Crabtree for not showing up in the NFC championship game? He did score a touchdown against the saints, we would have lost if he did not. Kyle Williams cost us our season, not Michael Crabtree. At least you can say he made 1 play in that game even if was for 3 yards. Kyle Williams had 0 catches and several mishandled punts that ruined our chances of advancing even before the overtime fumble.

Vernon Davis' me first antics didn't do us any favors against the Giants either. Win as a team, lose as a team. blaming one person or one thing is never correct. Very shortsighted to try and dissect something and come to a conclusion it was one person's fault.
Originally posted by AldonGood99:
Vernon Davis' me first antics didn't do us any favors against the Giants either. Win as a team, lose as a team. blaming one person or one thing is never correct. Very shortsighted to try and dissect something and come to a conclusion it was one person's fault.

First of all, the conversation was about who is our best receiver. Not who was responsible for the loss. Even though Kyle Williams was completely responsible

"Win as a team lose as a team" is something coaches say to players. That doesn't make it true all the time.

And on your above comment, Lol wow. Vernon scored us our only 2 touchdowns in the game and you are contributing the loss to him? A 15 yard penalty on a kickoff is hardly hurting the teams chances of winning. If you don't recall we simply took a touchback on the next kickoff.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Mar 25, 2012 at 11:40 AM ]
Originally posted by AldonGood99:

First of all, the conversation was about who is our best receiver. Not who was responsible for the loss. Even though Kyle Williams was completely responsible

And on your above comment, Lol wow. He scored us our only 2 touchdowns and you are contributing the loss to him? A 15 yard penalty on a kickoff is hardly hurting the teams chances of winning. If you don't recall we simply took a touchback on the next kickoff.

One of the dumbest penalty given by a ref. Claiming he was using the platform as prop. How is that different than dunk'n over a goal post which everyone had been doing. Using the goal post as prop.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
One of the dumbest penalty given by a ref. Claiming he was using the platform as prop. How is that different than dunk'n over a goal post which everyone had been doing. Using the goal post as prop.

At least we know Vernon learned from the situation. As long as the player doesn't delay the flow of the game I don't see why any celebration should penalize your team 15 yards in the playoffs.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Mar 25, 2012 at 11:46 AM ]

And on your above comment, Lol wow. He scored us our only 2 touchdowns and you are contributing the loss to him? A 15 yard penalty on a kickoff is hardly hurting the teams chances of winning. If you don't recall we simply took a touchback on the next kickoff.

if you can comprehend my point... which I'm not sure you can... it was you win as a team, and you lose as a team. One person does not make the difference and one person doesn't win or lose you a game. Many variables contribute to victory and defeat. Yes Vernon scored but that enforced penalty did not lead to a touchback, and god knows why you think it was because you are wrong, the giants got the ball at their own 32. That is critical field position in a game that was going to be all about field position and keeping the other teams offense in check. That doesn't help... Also his jumping on the giants back during that scuffle, negated crucial field position (from our 47 back to our 32) and basically rendered a critical first down absolutely moot. The game is bigger than one players mistakes, it's a confluence of errors by multiple facets (Players, coaching, officiating) that will always tell the full story.

My original point was that one play or player isn't the reason for victory or defeat. You should really try to read something and comprehend it before you allow yourself to become slack-jawed by your misconception. Kyle's mistakes came at critical times and his final gaffe would seem to be the thing that cost us the game, but it is simply not true. It just so happens to be the final mistake and therefor I assume the reason everyone thinks SF lost, because it's easy and comforting to think that one moment dictated the outcome. That's silly people thinking.

I agree. I look at Crabtree as the odd man out. I have a feeling The front office agrees with me, even though most will call me a hater because i dont think Crabtree has what it takes. Most people on this board Have Crabtree as the #1 WR on this roster....He has never, and will never be the best WR on our roster.

People need to let go of the kids mistakes. He was a young kid trying to make plays with the opportunities given to him. Had we gotten some production out of our supposed #1 WR we might not of been in the predicament we were in. If im not mistaken, didn't the kid have a great return in that game that set up a scoring drive? I havent rewatched the game, but i seem to remember...

He caught over 70 balls from a guy who didn't even complete 280. Thats about %25 of all of Alex Smith's completions. He also caught 4 of Alex Smiths whopping 17 td's. Thats %25 of the entire teams passing touchdowns and only 2 less than Vernon Davis, who was the team leader. Sounds like the primary WR to me.

Kyle Williams is a scrub with some speed. No better than a 4th receiver on any team.

I agree. Crabtree is obviously our #1 wide receiver. He has proven that every year with his on the field production. I doubt that JH would tolerate any player with poor work habits, attitude or effort; so I think that he also elicit unfair criticism in that respect also. He does draw flak because he has an unfortunate sideline demeanor. And he is not an Alex Smith believer. We'll never know, but IMO he would have easily produced 1,000 yard + seasons if he had had Eli Manning throwing him the ball, as Manningham had.

However, it is ironic that you request that we forgive mistakes and then launch into a diatribe against Kyle Williams. It's a gross exaggeration to say that KW cost the Niners their season. He contributed to the team's losing the last game. But to my view he wasn't even the primary reason that we lost. He certainly isn't a scrub and IMO, in a passing oriented team, would be a standout. Patriots? Denver? San Diego? He needs to mature some; I wasn't a fan of his failure to own up to his mistake in the ball-hitting-his-knee episode. But he is deserving of the chance this training camp to prove that he has learned and grown from that. He think that he has demonstrated great natural WR/SR skills.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
I agree. Crabtree is obviously our #1 wide receiver. He has proven that every year with his on the field production. I doubt that JH would tolerate any player with poor work habits, attitude or effort; so I think that he also elicit unfair criticism in that respect also. He does draw flak because he has an unfortunate sideline demeanor. And he is not an Alex Smith believer. We'll never know, but IMO he would have easily produced 1,000 yard + seasons if he had had Eli Manning throwing him the ball, as Manningham had.

However, it is ironic that you request that we forgive mistakes and then launch into a diatribe against Kyle Williams. It's a gross exaggeration to say that KW cost the Niners their season. He contributed to the team's losing the last game. But to my view he wasn't even the primary reason that we lost. He certainly isn't a scrub and IMO, in a passing oriented team, would be a standout. Patriots? Denver? San Diego? He needs to mature some; I wasn't a fan of his failure to own up to his mistake in the ball-hitting-his-knee episode. But he is deserving of the chance this training camp to prove that he has learned and grown from that. He think that he has demonstrated great natural WR/SR skills.

I never said I wouldn't forgive Kyle Williams, I think he is a very good 4th receiver, if that makes sense. But lets be real, how can you say he was not the primary reason we lost? The defense played lights out and Kyle Williams took at least 2 possessions away from the offense. Kyle Williams cost us an incredible season with a combination of bonehead mistakes and an inability to get open consistently.

Kyle Williams fumbles punt, sacrificing good field position and an excellent opportunity to add to our lead. Our offense was starting to move the ball and we looked like we were about to put at least 3 more on the board. Giants score the go ahead touchdown off of the turnover. This is also known as a 10 point swing.

Kyle Williams fumbles punt after the defense forces 2 straight turnovers in OT, putting the Giants offense inside the 30 and practically sealing the game. Had Kyle Williams not fumbled the 49ers would have been in great field position again.

Kyle Williams contributes 0 catches for 0 yards while starting the game. On punt returns, he mishandled or misjudged every play he was out there. He dove for a catch in the rain when he could have just let it go, he was completely unready for the stage he was on.

Its hard to argue Kyle Williams did not end the season when if you take any one of the above mistakes out of the game we probably advance to the Super Bowl as the favorites

When I say Kyle Williams is a scrub with some speed I meant that slightly sarcastically, but if he was anything significantly more I think we would have seen a bit more from him at this point. And yes he would probably flourish in NE, just like many scrubs with speed do.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Mar 25, 2012 at 12:51 PM ]
I think it's safe to say that we'll be looking to add a taller, more physical WR. Sure we have Randy Moss, but let's be real, he's 35! How effective can he be now? Can he stay healthy? I have my doubts. The rest of out WRs are all 6'1 and under. We tried Braylon Edwards last season and now we've added Moss, that should tell you something.

I agree -- that is why I am so against the idea of drafting Kendal Williams. We need to diversify the receiving targets and get a big bodied guy for 3rd down, red zone, and over the middle targeting.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Mar 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM ]
Don't forget Dontavia Bogan who blew out of his knee last year. He will be back and healthy. Ginn is not only a KR. He is also the Niners primary option on reverses and fly sweeps ;).

Will be interesting to see what the Niners front office thinks about our WR depth if they have a choice between Fleener and Hill at #30.
Share 49ersWebzone