LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

The Total Inability of 49er Fans to Understand Receiver Performance

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
As with last year, Jim Harbaugh is in a perfect position to draft one of his players if he thinks highly of him. Baalke would no doubt give in if Harbaugh sold him on Fleener. The question then is just how does Harbaugh see the team right now? Does he want to go into camp with the WRs he has? Or is he worried about the position? Will they need to pick up a RG high, even trading up? Then no Fleener or top WR.

Nice to go into the draft with only one huge need--RG...if they can't pickup a FA vet. Picking up a solid vet would allow the young guys to learn and develop before being thrown in and would help Davis on the right side. Really want to see what Smith could do with more time--and no holes in the middle.

Again, what's wrong with Kilgore?

Again, I've said in numerous posts that I like Kilgore but have no idea if he is ready to start at RG. If he is that's fine, but who is the back up? If you say Person that assumes he is ready as well. I would not be willing to bet the ranch, and Smith's health, on a second year low draft choice unless Harbaugh and company say so...they haven't yet or they would not have shopped for Schwartz.
Originally posted by pd24:
I agree with the Fleener thing. He would be a better target than Walker. Crabtree is solid, just needs to go through a whole off season and pre season and I think that will help him get off to a better start. Manningham will be a steal, he knows how to get open and can get deep. Im fine with Williams as long as he doesn't return kicks. Moss is a wildcard.

Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
So, here's the narrative we hear on webzone incessantly:
- Crabtree will never be a #1
- Manningham is overrated
- Moss is Washed up
- Williams needs to be cut (for some reason)
- Delanie Walker is Awesome! No reason to draft Coby Fleener

Well, I'm here to tell you that all of those are untrue with the exception of the Moss one - because I have no idea how much he has left in the tank. I will rely on Footballoutsiders.com to assess the performance of our receivers. http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

Crabtree - Crabtree improved dramatically from 2010 to 2011, after an even bigger improvement from 2009 to 2010. Extrapolating the trend, he should be a top 15 WR in 2012. On par with a Dez Bryant or something like that. method: I did a curve fit for 2009/10/11 stats and extrapolated the trend. Now, we can all throw stones at this extrapolation, but it is clear that Crabtree has the stuff to be a #1 and has improved a ton every year.

Manningham - Is everyone aware that Manningham was the 16th Best WR in 2010? And that he caught 65% of passes thrown his direction that year? And that he only caught 51% of targeted passes in 2011? He was hurt all year, and Cruz got the better routes to run. Manningham may end up being the steal of Free Agency.

Williams - On a per-play basis, Williams performed as well as Myles Austin and Torrey Smith. That's borderline #1 performance, for a little guy out of the slot that's 23 years old!

Moss - total wild card in 2012

Walker - Everyone thinks Walker is dominant, but it is a *Myth*. DVOA of -7% in 2011, 0.3% in 2010, and a horrid -20% in 2009. Totally replaceable, and not on par with other teams that run 2 TEs. You replace him with Coby Fleener (bump walker to 3rd TE), and productivity shoots up!

** With the exception of Moss, Manningham is the "old man" of the receiver corps at the ripe old age of 25!

Thoughts?

I agree with the Fleener thing. He would be a better target than Walker. Crabtree is solid, just needs to go through a whole off season and pre season and I think that will help him get off to a better start. Manningham will be a steal, he knows how to get open and can get deep. Im fine with Williams as long as he doesn't return kicks. Moss is a wildcard.
Totally agree with both of you guys. Facts don't lie
If we were to draft Fleener what would VDs reaction be? Would he take offense less balls goin his way?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
If we were to draft Fleener what would VDs reaction be? Would he take offense less balls goin his way?
if he is a team player he should know that the mismatches that would be created would create more chances for him
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

Smith's rapport with VD is still the best part of the offense so I doubt VD will be forgotten. He started slowly last year and still did OK after learning the offense, so I would expect his numbers to be better even with new receivers. Better OLine will also help him as it will allow him to spend less time assisting in pass protection.

Niners can't worry about VDs feelings just as they did not about Smith's. Improving every position is required to build a lasting, good team.
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rk1642:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by flow:
Crabtree hurts Smith more than Smith hurts Crabtree.

Laughable statement. The Browns game alone, Alex's errant throws cost Crabtree at least two touchdowns (three according to Eric Davis' analysis).

Really, how bout we take a little look at the games that counted the most. We had 2 playoff games that were 1 and done right?

How did Crabs do: Well in the Saints game, the dude drop 3 balls in a row, that were perfect passes.

In the NFC championship game, he never got seperation and didn't show up. They showed replays on NFL network showing how we had zero seperation by our wr's. Every analyst said after that game that we had to upgrade the wr position.

Now, the analyst may have been wrong, but then we did just go out and pick up Moss and Manningham! And I know you think the FO is just great cause you were all for them not moving when it came to Alex's contract.

Thank you.

If Alex is so mediocre, why was he throwing perfect passes to Vernon--often into double coverage--all season? Why did he have such great rapport with Joshua Morgan? How come he hit Delanie perfectly for the go-ahead TD on 4th-&-goal in Detroit with under two-minutes in the game? How come Gore and Hunter have no problem catching his passes?

The top three receivers on our depth chart--Crabtree, Edwards, Morgan--were injured much of the year. Alex still completed over 61% of his passes in 2011. He still led six fourth quarter comebacks in 2011. He tied a league record for fewest interceptions-thrown over a whole season. And he outplayed Eli Manning in the NFC Championship game.

Yet Alex draws so much hate from this board while Crabtree gets a free pass. Unbelievable.

In 2010, in the five games in which Alex did not play at all, Crabtree totaled 222-yards, which projects to 710-yards over a whole season. Crabtree doesn't play well with anyone because he doesn't run routes well. Even Jerry Rice called out Crabtree's route-running:

Are you watching on TV to see how Crabtree runs his routes?

"That was something I was always looking for, and I just did not see separation. A lot of times, as route runners, you're always going to see that separation when a quarterback has no hesitation (and) he knows where he wants to go with the ball. That's something I didn't see from the 49ers. Maybe that's part of the game he needs to work on, getting that separation. I was always one of those guys, even though you have receivers big and fast now, I felt I had to be at a certain weight to get my quickness. I don't know exactly what he weighs. He could lose maybe 10 or 15 pounds and be more explosive."

People, like Eric Mangini, thought Crabtree was a diva before he was even drafted. And Crabtree takes advice from Deion Sanders over Jerry Rice. Here's what Rice said about that:

You were with him in Dallas before the draft with Deion, but you never got to know him?

"I never did. Maybe because I voiced out and made a comment about Crabtree when he was holding out, and I said he needs to be in there sweating it out with his teammates and let everything else work out. I think ever since then he got offended."

What a p*ssy. And if you follow Crabtree's interviews, he whines like a little b*tch in almost each of them.

People complained about Alex for not signing a low-ball offer after a season in which he took the team to the NFC Championship game. But they don't seem to remember Crabtree holding out his rookie year before even playing a down in the NFL. He always thought the world was entitled to him!

Randy Moss has an attitude but at least he backs it up on the field. Michael Crabtree is a hyper-sensitive, overrated, pompous, spoiled, sack of gar-BAGE and I can't wait until he's traded/released.

Alex is far and away better for this team than Crabtree... both on and off the field.

Man, we could have had Michael Oher instead.
Originally posted by leebert81:
You nailed it here. It's not the QB's fault though...

No never said it was either players fault. We didn't pass often to minimize mistakes from a QB who seemed mistake prone in the past but turned out to lead our team to the fewest turnovers in the NFL which played into the hands of our great defense. If Crabtree didn't miss a game and a half and we were a passing team he would probably have some fitzgerald like numbers right now and we wouldn't be discussing his abilities. I just seem to think of him as more of a Cris Carter who would average only 11 to 13 yards a catch but was the number one option.
Originally posted by buck:
The reason is that Morgan's contract coming from Washington. Washington tends to pay to much.

Thats not the only reason
What are you talking about? They're all terrible. Alex Elway has no help out there.
Thank you.

If Alex is so mediocre, why was he throwing perfect passes to Vernon--often into double coverage--all season? Why did he have such great rapport with Joshua Morgan? How come he hit Delanie perfectly for the go-ahead TD on 4th-&-goal in Detroit with under two-minutes in the game? How come Gore and Hunter have no problem catching his passes?
Yep. Alex was threadin those needles between the DOUBLE. COVERAGE. Word.

And you're also right about Alex having had a wonderful rapport with Josh Morgan - 15 catches in 5 games, yo. BEAST.

Gore and Hunter have no problem catching his passes because Alex is amazing and all the WRs were turrible. Just, turrible. That's why. Alex throws the best screen pass in the game, and that's the most difficult throw to make. I mean, anyone can throw a post or an in or an out or a slant or a 9, but a screen pass? Shoot...nothing harder than those 2 yard dumpoffs.

The top three receivers on our depth chart--Crabtree, Edwards, Morgan--were injured much of the year. Alex still completed over 61% of his passes in 2011.

61% of his passes completed? AMAZING. Only 14 starting quarterbacks completed 61+% of their passes. One word: ELITE.

He still led six fourth quarter comebacks in 2011. He tied a league record for fewest interceptions-thrown over a whole season.

Fourth quarter comebacks are the way to go. I'd hate to be ahead after 3 quarters, that's a sign of inferior quarterback play. And as we all know, this year's 49ers defense was turrible. Just turrible. No wonder Alex was having to come back.

Actually, Alex didn't tie the record, as in 1990, the great Steve DeBerg threw just 4 interceptions in 16 games (as opposed to Alex's 5). DeBerg's interception percentage was an incredible 0.9% (vs. Alex's 1.1%). But not everyone can be as great as Steve DeBerg. Something to shoot for, Alex.

And he outplayed Eli Manning in the NFC Championship game.

Yep, agree. Alex, who went 1-13 on 3rd down (totally insignificant, btw), played better than Eli Manning. That 1 he converted was incredible, too...end of the game hail mary pass to Delanie Walker. Amazing.

Give me Alex's 196 yards and 2 TDs over Eli Manning's 316 yards and 2 touchdowns any day, man.

Yet Alex draws so much hate from this board while Crabtree gets a free pass. Unbelievable. In 2010, in the five games in which Alex did not play at all, Crabtree totaled 222-yards, which projects to 710-yards over a whole season.
And if you can't produce with Troy Smith as your quarterback, you just can not play wide receiver, my friend.

Why, Crabtree's 710 yards would fall 164 yards shy of the yards he totaled with Alex. Thank God he has the elite Alex, who is better than Steve Young and Drew Brees combined. Merely giving him a Pro Bowl caliber QB like Troy Smith isn't enough.

Crabtree doesn't play well with anyone because he doesn't run routes well. Even Jerry Rice called out Crabtree's route-running: Are you watching on TV to see how Crabtree runs his routes?

Watching routes on TV is a great idea. It's the best way to see what a receiver is doing. What you do is you wait for him to take the 3 or 4 steps it takes to go off the screen, and then you look to the side of the television set and watch him making his break. This is where you can tell whether or not he is getting separation.

And if Jerry Rice says it, it must be true.

"That was something I was always looking for, and I just did not see separation. A lot of times, as route runners, you're always going to see that separation when a quarterback has no hesitation (and) he knows where he wants to go with the ball. That's something I didn't see from the 49ers. Maybe that's part of the game he needs to work on, getting that separation. I was always one of those guys, even though you have receivers big and fast now, I felt I had to be at a certain weight to get my quickness. I don't know exactly what he weighs. He could lose maybe 10 or 15 pounds and be more explosive."

Rice doesn't need to know exactly what he weights. Heck, Crabtree could weigh 150 pounds for all Rice cares...that's not important. What's important is that Coach Jerry "film analyst genius" Rice, knows that losing weight is what makes someone faster and quicker. It's scientifically proven, man. It's not about the fast-twitch muscle fiber vs. other mass ratio that determines speed...just lose weight, no matter what kind of weight it is, and you'll be faster. Take those heavy engines off those airplanes...think of how much faster they'd be.

People, like Eric Mangini, thought Crabtree was a diva before he was even drafted.

Eric Mangini is an excellent source as well. One of the most coveted coaches, ever. He must have turned down about 20 different job offers to lend his expertise to television.

And Crabtree takes advice from Deion Sanders over Jerry Rice. Here's what Rice said about that: You were with him in Dallas before the draft with Deion, but you never got to know him? "I never did. Maybe because I voiced out and made a comment about Crabtree when he was holding out, and I said he needs to be in there sweating it out with his teammates and let everything else work out. I think ever since then he got offended."

Taking advice from Deion Sanders would be foolish...that guy couldn't play football.

Jerry Rice never threatened to hold out in 1992, so he's in no way hypocritical. As we all know, Rice would never hold out, because he doesn't care about money. He was so humble that he would've played for free.

What a p*ssy. And if you follow Crabtree's interviews, he whines like a little b*tch in almost each of them.
Agree, what a p*ssy. If Rice says that's the reason, it must be so.

I know, right? I've lost count of how many interviews Crabtree was whining like a little b*tch in. Just tons and tons of interviews with him whining like a little b*tch. No shortage of them...they're...everywhere.

People complained about Alex for not signing a low-ball offer after a season in which he took the team to the NFC Championship game. But they don't seem to remember Crabtree holding out his rookie year before even playing a down in the NFL. He always thought the world was entitled to him! Randy Moss has an attitude but at least he backs it up on the field. Michael Crabtree is a hyper-sensitive, overrated, pompous, spoiled, sack of gar-BAGE and I can't wait until he's traded/released. Alex is far and away better for this team than Crabtree... both on and off the field. Man, we could have had Michael Oher instead.
I know, if I were Alex, I would've been offended. This team didn't get to the NFC Championship game because of its defense or special teams or running game. It was the 29th ranked passing attack that got it there, thanks to the incredible talents of the great Alex Smith. Pay the man, and pay him handsomely.

Michael Crabtree was acting a little like John Elway or Eli Manning, as opposed to the class act great that is Alex Smith. Unacceptable. I'd never want Elway or Manning on my team over Alex.

I say we give Michael Crabtree the death penalty. He is all those things you list and more. I can't even find pictures of him being a class act who does shots off random women's breasts like Alex did in college while wearing a light blue polo shirt and sticking out his tongue for facebook pictures. Crabtree doesn't seem like the party type...he seems like an introverted looooser, and it's time we trade this slime and get some more class acts around here.

Get Hines Ward out of retirement. He got the classiest DUI in NFL history. Maybe bring back Jeff Garcia to give us a proven backup. He was a real class act in how he handled his driving with a .237 BAC several years ago. Total class act.

• flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DerekJeterForGG:
Yep. Alex was threadin those needles between the DOUBLE. COVERAGE.

He was throwing into double coverage. Watch the scoring plays in our playoff games.

Gore and Hunter have no problem catching his passes because Alex is amazing and all the WRs were turrible. Just, turrible. That's why. Alex throws the best screen pass in the game, and that's the most difficult throw to make. I mean, anyone can throw a post or an in or an out or a slant or a 9, but a screen pass? Shoot...nothing harder than those 2 yard dumpoffs.

Those "easy" dumpoffs are an integral part of the West Coast offense.

AMAZING. Only 14 starting quarterbacks completed 61+% of their passes. One word: ELITE.

No one said 61% is elite. But the point is doing it without much help from your wide receivers is impressive.

Fourth quarter comebacks are the way to go. I'd hate to be ahead after 3 quarters, that's a sign of inferior quarterback play. And as we all know, this year's 49ers defense was turrible. Just turrible. No wonder Alex was having to come back.Actually, Alex didn't tie the record, as in 1990, the great Steve DeBerg threw just 4 interceptions in 16 games (as opposed to Alex's 5). DeBerg's interception percentage was an incredible 0.9% (vs. Alex's 1.1%). But not everyone can be as great as Steve DeBerg. Something to shoot for, Alex.

Fourth quarter comebacks are a critical stat for quarterbacks. This isn't Madden; the NFL has too much parity for any one team to consistently blow out other teams. The difference between winning and losing is heavily dependent on whether your QB chokes or is clutch.

And no, Alex didn't tie the record himself, but the 2011 49ers did tie the record for fewest interceptions-thrown (5) with Alex taking all but six attempts. Those 1990 Chiefs threw 5 interceptions as a team. And try to minimize the importance of ball security all you want... but they're more important in real football than in fantasy football.

Yep, agree. Alex, who went 1-13 on 3rd down (totally insignificant, btw), played better than Eli Manning. That 1 he converted was incredible, too...end of the game hail mary pass to Delanie Walker. Amazing.Give me Alex's 196 yards and 2 TDs over Eli Manning's 316 yards and 2 touchdowns any day, man.

He did outplay Manning. Alex drove his team across the field from his own territory more times than Manning did (3 vs 2). If it weren't for K*le W*lliams (I still can't say his name, lol) this would not be an issue. And both defenses were excellent. Manning also had more errant throws; he threw two passes right to SF defenders, but Goldson cleaned out his teammates. Watch the game. He knocked Tarrell Brown out on one of those plays.

And if you can't produce with Troy Smith as your quarterback, you just can not play wide receiver, my friend.Why, Crabtree's 710 yards would fall 164 yards shy of the yards he totaled with Alex. Thank God he has the elite Alex, who is better than Steve Young and Drew Brees combined. Merely giving him a Pro Bowl caliber QB like Troy Smith isn't enough.

Straw man argument. No one claimed Troy Smith is Pro Bowl and that Alex is better than Brees/Young. That's all you. But the point is Crabtree was showing mad love to Troy Smith, even though they didn't produce anything at all. And again, if Alex was the one holding Crabtree back, why didn't Crabtree produce with Troy Smith? Good receivers can produce with sub-par QBs. Look at Pierre Garcon--who is not elite by any stretch--and what he did with that circus in Indy this year.

Watching routes on TV is a great idea. It's the best way to see what a receiver is doing. What you do is you wait for him to take the 3 or 4 steps it takes to go off the screen, and then you look to the side of the television set and watch him making his break. This is where you can tell whether or not he is getting separation.

The overwhelming majority of football fans get their info from either television and/or stats. What's your point? "Oh, Crabtree looks bad on TV, but I assume Crabtree is a great receiver, therefore TV sucks." Incredibly weak argument.

And if Jerry Rice says it, it must be true.

"That was something I was always looking for, and I just did not see separation. A lot of times, as route runners, you're always going to see that separation when a quarterback has no hesitation (and) he knows where he wants to go with the ball. That's something I didn't see from the 49ers. Maybe that's part of the game he needs to work on, getting that separation. I was always one of those guys, even though you have receivers big and fast now, I felt I had to be at a certain weight to get my quickness. I don't know exactly what he weighs. He could lose maybe 10 or 15 pounds and be more explosive." - Jerry Rice

Rice doesn't need to know exactly what he weights. Heck, Crabtree could weigh 150 pounds for all Rice cares...that's not important. What's important is that Coach Jerry "film analyst genius" Rice, knows that losing weight is what makes someone faster and quicker. It's scientifically proven, man. It's not about the fast-twitch muscle fiber vs. other mass ratio that determines speed...just lose weight, no matter what kind of weight it is, and you'll be faster. Take those heavy engines off those airplanes...think of how much faster they'd be.

Straw man argument again. No where did Jerry Rice say Crabtree's slow because he weighs too much. Again, those words and all that about fast-twitch muscle fiber vs other mass ratio is all you. Rice said: 1) Crabtree does not get separation and that 2) Crabtree might want to try different methods to improve that. Here's the exact quote: "I don't know exactly what he weighs. He could lose maybe 10 or 15 pounds and be more explosive." Did you see that? Rice even admitted he doesn't know how much Crabtree weighs; he was just offering one possibility to improve Crabtree's poor separation. In order to solve problems you have to be willing to explore possibilities.

Eric Mangini is an excellent source as well. One of the most coveted coaches, ever. He must have turned down about 20 different job offers to lend his expertise to television.

Eric Mangini is a good source, and he's one of many who has said Crabtree acts like a diva. Eric Mangini was the head coach of two teams in the NFL. While he wasn't overly successful, he wasn't a failure by any means either. This is what Crabtree-lovers do, they bash the messenger. If Jesus came down and said Crabtree sucks, you would say, "Psst. What does he know. He never coached in the NFL."

Taking advice from Deion Sanders would be foolish...that guy couldn't play football.

So according to your logic: Jerry Rice--the greatest receiver of all time--shouldn't say squat about Crabtree but Deion Sanders--a cornerback--can? Eric Mangini--an experienced coach--can't say anything about Crabtree because he is just on TV, but Deion Sanders--who is also on TV--can? Unbelievable.

Deion Sanders is a complete head case. Look it up. Jerry Rice would be a much better source for Crabtree both on and off the field because Rice was actually a receiver--a kinda good one too --and is just more calm and cool than Sanders.

Jerry Rice never threatened to hold out in 1992, so he's in no way hypocritical. As we all know, Rice would never hold out, because he doesn't care about money. He was so humble that he would've played for free.

Again, if Jerry Rice held out in 1992, good for him! He had EARNED the right for a bigger contract in 1992. Crabtree held out BEFORE PLAYING A DOWN IN THE NFL. If you can't see the difference, that's your problem.

Agree, what a p*ssy. If Rice says that's the reason, it must be so.I know, right? I've lost count of how many interviews Crabtree was whining like a little b*tch in. Just tons and tons of interviews with him whining like a little b*tch. No shortage of them...they're...everywhere.

You're entitled to your opinion, as am I. But I do believe Crabtree whines like a b*tch. Look at this from Camp Alex:

Crabtree talked with reporters after the session and was asked how it he thought chemistry with the quarterback would improve by getting out and tossing balls with him.

"Who's the quarterback?" Crabtree said, via the Sacramento Bee.

Smith's name was mentioned.

"He's the quarterback? I'm just asking," Crabtree said.

What man with a d*ck acts like that? Alex is organizing the damn thing with no contract, at least show him some damn respect. Act like a man instead of playing these passive-aggressive head games.

I know, if I were Alex, I would've been offended. This team didn't get to the NFC Championship game because of its defense or special teams or running game. It was the 29th ranked passing attack that got it there, thanks to the incredible talents of the great Alex Smith. Pay the man, and pay him handsomely.

No one said Alex single-handedly saved our team. I love our defense and special teams; we would be no where without them. But Alex's clutch performances netted us extra wins all year. We would not be 13-3 without Alex. Simple as that. And when our defense allowed Drew Brees to score twice in four minutes, Alex did save the team. Twice.

Michael Crabtree was acting a little like John Elway or Eli Manning, as opposed to the class act great that is Alex Smith. Unacceptable. I'd never want Elway or Manning on my team over Alex.I say we give Michael Crabtree the death penalty. He is all those things you list and more. I can't even find pictures of him being a class act who does shots off random women's breasts like Alex did in college while wearing a light blue polo shirt and sticking out his tongue for facebook pictures. Crabtree doesn't seem like the party type...he seems like an introverted looooser, and it's time we trade this slime and get some more class acts around here.Get Hines Ward out of retirement. He got the classiest DUI in NFL history. Maybe bring back Jeff Garcia to give us a proven backup. He was a real class act in how he handled his driving with a .237 BAC several years ago. Total class act.

What Eli and Elway did had no bearing on Crabtree's decision to holdout. Just like Alex should not get paid more because the Bills overpaid for Fitzpatrick.

No one wants to give Crabtree the death penalty. Those are your words.

So what if Alex did shots off women's breasts? He wasn't forcing himself on them. He wasn't doing anything illegal or immoral.

And no one is accusing Crabtree of drunken driving or defending drunken drivers. Those are your words, not mine. As far as I know, Crabtree never drank and drove, so good for him. (Seriously.)
[ Edited by flow on Mar 23, 2012 at 4:02 PM ]
He was throwing into double coverage. Watch the scoring plays in our playoff games.

Absolutely, it's amazing how Alex was able to throw into that double coverage. We know it was double coverage because there was a safety trying desperately to make up about 10 yards of distance. Pinpoint accuracy, man.

And this is completely applicable to the topic at hand (Gore/Hunter "not having any problems" catching Alex's amazing throws, while the receivers somehow have more drops, which doesn't make any sense, man).

No one said 61% is elite. But the point is doing it without much help from your wide receivers is impressive.

I agree. Most people would say it's about average, but when you look at how awful, awful, awful everyone but Alex was on offense, it's amazing. So so so many drops.

Aaron Rodgers's receivers, meanwhile, don't drop balls.

Fourth quarter comebacks are a critical stat for quarterbacks. This isn't Madden; the NFL has too much parity for any one team to consistently blow out other teams. The difference between winning and losing is heavily dependent on whether your QB chokes or is clutch.

And no, Alex didn't tie the record himself, but the 2011 49ers did tie the record for fewest interceptions-thrown (5) with Alex taking all but six attempts. Those 1990 Chiefs threw 5 interceptions as a team. And try to minimize the importance of ball security all you want... but they're more important in real football than in fantasy football.

Well, thank God for that. Alex > DeBerg, then, because someone besides DeBerg threw an INT that year. I agree with you.

I agree, when you have the #2 defense in football, you have to expect to be trailing constantly heading into the 4th quarter, no matter how amazing your quarterback is. Because, after all, the league is just full of elite defenses. The rules these days allow for vicious hitting and physical coverage like never before...it's so hard to throw the ball in this league.

He did outplay Manning. Alex drove his team across the field from his own territory more times than Manning did (3 vs 2). If it weren't for K*le W*lliams (I still can't say his name, lol) this would not be an issue. And both defenses were excellent. Manning also had more errant throws; he threw two passes right to SF defenders, but Goldson cleaned out his teammates. Watch the game. He knocked Tarrell Brown out on one of those plays.

Hey, I'm with you. This is why Joe Montana was so overrated. In Super Bowl XXIII, threw a pass right to Bengals' DB Lewis Billups, who dropped it. Next play, he hits Rice for the TD. We need to start counting interceptions that never happened when we consider a quarterback's play.

Alex also did a better job of handing it off to Gore than Manning did with his handoffs, hence he played better, despite the seemingly enormous passing yardage differential. And that play where he bought about 10 seconds worth of time and waited under converging pressure, releasing a perfect pass to Ahmad Bradshaw down the sidelines into SF territory before getting crushed...~yawn~ Seen Alex do that a million times. I'm much more impressed at Alex hitting Vernon Davis when he was only open by about a 5 yard radius. Difficult throws.

Straw man argument. No one claimed Troy Smith is Pro Bowl and that Alex is better than Brees/Young. That's all you. But the point is Crabtree was showing mad love to Troy Smith, even though they didn't produce anything at all. And again, if Alex was the one holding Crabtree back, why didn't Crabtree produce with Troy Smith? Good receivers can produce with sub-par QBs. Look at Pierre Garcon--who is not elite by any stretch--and what he did with that circus in Indy this year.

Crabtree and Troy Smith should get a room. It's amazing...the lovefest that was going on. How could I have missed that?

I agree with you on the receivers with sub-par quarterbacks, which is why Andre Johnson was known as a Top 3 receiver while David Carr was his quarterback. Terrell Owens quite enjoyed playing with Trent Edwards/Ryan Fitzpatrick in Buffalo, and Reggie Wayne's numbers didn't even dip a little last year without Peyton Manning in the lineup. Anquan Boldin is having the same success in Baltimore he had in Arizona with Kurt Warner, and Steve Smith was just fine in Carolina for a few years before they took Cam Newton. Everyone knew Marvin Harrison was a star before Peyton Manning got there, and Santana Moss has loved the QB shuffle in Washington.

The overwhelming majority of football fans get their info from either television and/or stats. What's your point? "Oh, Crabtree looks bad on TV, but I assume Crabtree is a great receiver, therefore TV sucks." Incredibly weak argument.

That was exactly my argument. How did you figure it out?

What I was definitely NOT implying is that you're completely talking out of your a** when you claim receivers aren't getting separation or are poor route runners based on what you've seen on TV, because their routes take place off-camera. That would just be silly, after all.

And the one common theme among all great, productive quarterbacks - receivers getting tons and tons of separation. The Saints just keep finding ultra-studs like Lance Moore, Deverey Henderson, Robert Meachem, and Marques Colston to help out Drew Brees, while the Patriots get greats like Deion Branch, David Givens, Wes Welker, Troy Brown, David Patton. The Colts gave Manning superb talents like Austin Collie, and the Packers drafted the amazing Jordy Nelson to go along with their mid-30's Donald Driver.

Straw man argument again. No where did Jerry Rice say Crabtree's slow because he weighs too much. Again, those words and all that about fast-twitch muscle fiber vs other mass ratio is all you. Rice said: 1) Crabtree does not get separation and that 2) Crabtree might want to try different methods to improve that. Here's the exact quote: "I don't know exactly what he weighs. He could lose maybe 10 or 15 pounds and be more explosive." Did you see that? Rice even admitted he doesn't know how much Crabtree weighs; he was just offering one possibility to improve Crabtree's poor separation. In order to solve problems you have to be willing to explore possibilities.

Gosh, gotta stop with this straw man, clearly you're understanding exactly what I am saying, but I'm just not understanding what you and the likes of Jerry Rice are saying. What is the matter with me?

Rice may have said that while he has no idea what Crabtree weights, he should lose some weight to get faster, but that in no way implies that Rice thinks losing weight = getting faster. Nope, not what he was talking about at all. Rice doesn't need to tell us he's just giving us a "possibility"...that's not his job. It's your job. Your job is to tell everyone what Jerry Rice meant by his statement. You are the official Rice interpreter, not us.

So when Rice says "he could lose maybe 10-15 pounds and be more explosive," Rice isn't actually saying that Crabtree could lose 10-15 pounds and...he'd be more explosive. He's just saying it's possible that he's overweight, and if he is, then he could possibly lose 10-15 pounds of fat, and be more explosive, possibly.

Eric Mangini is a good source, and he's one of many who has said Crabtree acts like a diva. Eric Mangini was the head coach of two teams in the NFL. While he wasn't overly successful, he wasn't a failure by any means either. This is what Crabtree-lovers do, they bash the messenger. If Jesus came down and said Crabtree sucks, you would say, "Psst. What does he know. He never coached in the NFL."

Yeah, definitely not a failure. He was fired from his first team after 3 seasons, and his second team after 2 seasons. He compiled a 33-47 record as a head coach. Excellent stuff.

You obviously don't need to list the others who agree with The Great Mangini. A lot of fans on the internet think that, and if message board posters think something, it's gotta be true.

So according to your logic: Jerry Rice--the greatest receiver of all time--shouldn't say squat about Crabtree but Deion Sanders--a cornerback--can? Eric Mangini--an experienced coach--can't say anything about Crabtree because he is just on TV, but Deion Sanders--who is also on TV--can? Unbelievable.

Deion Sanders is a complete head case. Look it up. Jerry Rice would be a much better source for Crabtree both on and off the field because Rice was actually a receiver--a kinda good one too --and is just more calm and cool than Sanders.

I hope Crabtree learns how to wear towels that say "Flash 80" or "Sweet Rice" dangling out the back of his pants, push over concession stands and shout "I ain't no m-f'ing decoy" after his teammate scores a TD, kick over pylons after his team wins but he doesn't catch a pass, threaten to retire after his team wins 31-20 because he didn't get as many balls as he'd like, saying "this isn't 49er football," get caught cheating on his wife in a Brothel and then blame his teammates for "pulling a prank on him," and shout at his coach "tell him to throw a f--ing spiral!!! A f-ing spiral!!!" after he drops his second pass of the game.

You're right. Deion Sanders has no right to offer encouragement to Michael Crabtree. That is completely the same thing as someone on TV criticizing him.

Not like Jerry Rice was extremely prone to dropping the football throughout his career or anything.

Again, if Jerry Rice held out in 1992, good for him! He had EARNED the right for a bigger contract in 1992. Crabtree held out BEFORE PLAYING A DOWN IN THE NFL. If you can't see the difference, that's your problem.

I'm with you there. Rookies should have no right to make any demands when it comes to salaries. In fact, if teams want them to play for minimum wage, they should be forced to do so. After all, they haven't proven anything, so what right do they have to ask for any more money? Jerks.

You're entitled to your opinion, as am I. But I do believe Crabtree whines like a b*tch. Look at this from Camp Alex:

Crabtree talked with reporters after the session and was asked how it he thought chemistry with the quarterback would improve by getting out and tossing balls with him.

What man with a d*ck acts like that? Alex is organizing the damn thing with no contract, at least show him some damn respect. Act like a man instead of playing these passive-aggressive head games.

Oooh, that's some harsh stuff, bro. Scathing.

I agree, Crabtree should have shown Coach Alex some respect. Who cares if Alex isn't actually a coach, isn't even under contract with the team so theoretically he could still go somewhere else, and may players think these types of workouts do more harm than good. Come to camp Alex, because Alex Smith is the King of the 49ers.

No one said Alex single-handedly saved our team. I love our defense and special teams; we would be no where without them. But Alex's clutch performances netted us extra wins all year. We would not be 13-3 without Alex. Simple as that. And when our defense allowed Drew Brees to score twice in four minutes, Alex did save the team. Twice.

I know. "Clutch" performances in the form of the 29th ranked passing attack. It's much better to be scrambling for victories at the end of the game because your offense didn't produce in the first 3 than it is to actually have the lead going into the 4th quarter.

What Eli and Elway did had no bearing on Crabtree's decision to holdout. Just like Alex should not get paid more because the Bills overpaid for Fitzpatrick.

So what if Alex did shots off women's breasts? He wasn't forcing himself on them. He wasn't doing anything illegal or immoral.

Well, as long as he wasn't raping them, he was behaving in a very professional and classy manner. What a loveable guy.

Why shouldn't we give Crabtree the death penalty? You just (correctly) said he's a hyper-sensitive, overrated, pompous, spoiled, sack of gar-BAGE. What are his redeeming qualities? Kill him, he's a sack of garbage. Sacks of garbage have no value, other than as fertilizer. That's what Crabtree should obviously be, so we should kill him, right? Who would want a hyper-sensitive, overrated, pompous, spoiled, sack of gar-BAGE to procreate?

And no one is accusing Crabtree of drunken driving or defending drunken drivers. Those are your words, not mine. As far as I know, Crabtree never drank and drove, so good for him. (Seriously.)

That's exactly what I was saying. Your ability to comprehend everything I say is amazing...how do you do it?
[ Edited by DerekJeterForGG on Mar 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM ]

Absolutely, it's amazing how Alex was able to throw into that double coverage. We know it was double coverage because there was a safety trying desperately to make up about 10 yards of distance. Pinpoint accuracy, man.

And this is completely applicable to the topic at hand (Gore/Hunter "not having any problems" catching Alex's amazing throws, while the receivers somehow have more drops, which doesn't make any sense, man).

I agree. Most people would say it's about average, but when you look at how awful, awful, awful everyone but Alex was on offense, it's amazing. So so so many drops.

Aaron Rodgers's receivers, meanwhile, don't drop balls.

Well, thank God for that. Alex > DeBerg, then, because someone besides DeBerg threw an INT that year. I agree with you.

I agree, when you have the #2 defense in football, you have to expect to be trailing constantly heading into the 4th quarter, no matter how amazing your quarterback is. Because, after all, the league is just full of elite defenses. The rules these days allow for vicious hitting and physical coverage like never before...it's so hard to throw the ball in this league.

Hey, I'm with you. This is why Joe Montana was so overrated. In Super Bowl XXIII, threw a pass right to Bengals' DB Lewis Billups, who dropped it. Next play, he hits Rice for the TD. We need to start counting interceptions that never happened when we consider a quarterback's play.

Alex also did a better job of handing it off to Gore than Manning did with his handoffs, hence he played better, despite the seemingly enormous passing yardage differential. And that play where he bought about 10 seconds worth of time and waited under converging pressure, releasing a perfect pass to Ahmad Bradshaw down the sidelines into SF territory before getting crushed...~yawn~ Seen Alex do that a million times. I'm much more impressed at Alex hitting Vernon Davis when he was only open by about a 5 yard radius. Difficult throws.

Crabtree and Troy Smith should get a room. It's amazing...the lovefest that was going on. How could I have missed that?

I agree with you on the receivers with sub-par quarterbacks, which is why Andre Johnson was known as a Top 3 receiver while David Carr was his quarterback. Terrell Owens quite enjoyed playing with Trent Edwards/Ryan Fitzpatrick in Buffalo, and Reggie Wayne's numbers didn't even dip a little last year without Peyton Manning in the lineup. Anquan Boldin is having the same success in Baltimore he had in Arizona with Kurt Warner, and Steve Smith was just fine in Carolina for a few years before they took Cam Newton. Everyone knew Marvin Harrison was a star before Peyton Manning got there, and Santana Moss has loved the QB shuffle in Washington.

That was exactly my argument. How did you figure it out?

What I was definitely NOT implying is that you're completely talking out of your a** when you claim receivers aren't getting separation or are poor route runners based on what you've seen on TV, because their routes take place off-camera. That would just be silly, after all.

And the one common theme among all great, productive quarterbacks - receivers getting tons and tons of separation. The Saints just keep finding ultra-studs like Lance Moore, Deverey Henderson, Robert Meachem, and Marques Colston to help out Drew Brees, while the Patriots get greats like Deion Branch, David Givens, Wes Welker, Troy Brown, David Patton. The Colts gave Manning superb talents like Austin Collie, and the Packers drafted the amazing Jordy Nelson to go along with their mid-30's Donald Driver.

Gosh, gotta stop with this straw man, clearly you're understanding exactly what I am saying, but I'm just not understanding what you and the likes of Jerry Rice are saying. What is the matter with me?

Rice may have said that while he has no idea what Crabtree weights, he should lose some weight to get faster, but that in no way implies that Rice thinks losing weight = getting faster. Nope, not what he was talking about at all. Rice doesn't need to tell us he's just giving us a "possibility"...that's not his job. It's your job. Your job is to tell everyone what Jerry Rice meant by his statement. You are the official Rice interpreter, not us.

So when Rice says "he could lose maybe 10-15 pounds and be more explosive," Rice isn't actually saying that Crabtree could lose 10-15 pounds and...he'd be more explosive. He's just saying it's possible that he's overweight, and if he is, then he could possibly lose 10-15 pounds of fat, and be more explosive, possibly.

Yeah, definitely not a failure. He was fired from his first team after 3 seasons, and his second team after 2 seasons. He compiled a 33-47 record as a head coach. Excellent stuff.

You obviously don't need to list the others who agree with The Great Mangini. A lot of fans on the internet think that, and if message board posters think something, it's gotta be true.

I hope Crabtree learns how to wear towels that say "Flash 80" or "Sweet Rice" dangling out the back of his pants, push over concession stands and shout "I ain't no m-f'ing decoy" after his teammate scores a TD, kick over pylons after his team wins but he doesn't catch a pass, threaten to retire after his team wins 31-20 because he didn't get as many balls as he'd like, saying "this isn't 49er football," get caught cheating on his wife in a Brothel and then blame his teammates for "pulling a prank on him," and shout at his coach "tell him to throw a f--ing spiral!!! A f-ing spiral!!!" after he drops his second pass of the game.

You're right. Deion Sanders has no right to offer encouragement to Michael Crabtree. That is completely the same thing as someone on TV criticizing him.

Not like Jerry Rice was extremely prone to dropping the football throughout his career or anything.

I'm with you there. Rookies should have no right to make any demands when it comes to salaries. In fact, if teams want them to play for minimum wage, they should be forced to do so. After all, they haven't proven anything, so what right do they have to ask for any more money? Jerks.

Oooh, that's some harsh stuff, bro. Scathing.

I agree, Crabtree should have shown Coach Alex some respect. Who cares if Alex isn't actually a coach, isn't even under contract with the team so theoretically he could still go somewhere else, and may players think these types of workouts do more harm than good. Come to camp Alex, because Alex Smith is the King of the 49ers.

I know. "Clutch" performances in the form of the 29th ranked passing attack. It's much better to be scrambling for victories at the end of the game because your offense didn't produce in the first 3 than it is to actually have the lead going into the 4th quarter.

Well, as long as he wasn't raping them, he was behaving in a very professional and classy manner. What a loveable guy.

Why shouldn't we give Crabtree the death penalty? You just (correctly) said he's a hyper-sensitive, overrated, pompous, spoiled, sack of gar-BAGE. What are his redeeming qualities? Kill him, he's a sack of garbage. Sacks of garbage have no value, other than as fertilizer. That's what Crabtree should obviously be, so we should kill him, right? Who would want a hyper-sensitive, overrated, pompous, spoiled, sack of gar-BAGE to procreate?

That's exactly what I was saying. Your ability to comprehend everything I say is amazing...how do you do it?
Wow just wow
  • flow
  • Veteran

You did not refute a single point I made, troll, you just repeated what I said in a sarcastic tone. You lost this argument so badly it's pathetic.

Have fun staring at these pictures of Alex hitting Vernon between two defenders in the playoffs while I ride Jerry Rice's jock (which I'm proud to do, by the way):

No
[ Edited by Rubberneck36 on Mar 24, 2012 at 5:31 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone