LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 296 users in the forums

The Total Inability of 49er Fans to Understand Receiver Performance

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I thought Kyle Williams looked good as a receivers last year. Don't think he will get much playing time this year though.
I'm definitely down w/Fleener and a WR somewhere later on. If we don't sign a FA OG, then I'd like to see that be our #2 pick. Either Osemele or Zeitler would fill that bill.
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
I thought Kyle Williams looked good as a receivers last year. Don't think he will get much playing time this year though.

He's gonna get 600.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
In 2011, Kyle Williams was an explosive 23 year old slot receiver who wasn't integrated into the offense until Week 11. He'll get better. How many years has welker been playing?

kyle williams fumbled the ball in college in there big game and they lost 20-17 overtime because of his punt fumble return.....
What a coincidence that he does the EXACT same thing with us and costs us a superbowl, screw that guy we should be 6X superbowl champions
Originally posted by
I'm down with Fleener even more than previously. I think he would help tremendously with what ails this offense and that's reliable targets on 3rd down and in the red-zone. His strengths would also work well with Alex's weaknesses, namely Alex's tendency to lob the ball high at times, for fear of throwing a pass that might be intercepted. With his size and hands, Fleener can go up and get high passes or use his body to create separation. I think he'd be a reliable and constant target all over the field, literally from Day 1.

Scouts think Fleener is a Jimmy Graham Clone. Nah, we don't want that..we;ve got Walker!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0301-pompei-nfl--20120301,0,2606399.column

Its about need.

Do we really NEED to spend a first round pick on a #2 tight end? Even if he is as good as fleener, we have other needs then TE.

Delanie is a solid backup and VD is a stud.
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
In 2011, Kyle Williams was an explosive 23 year old slot receiver who wasn't integrated into the offense until Week 11. He'll get better. How many years has welker been playing?

kyle williams fumbled the ball in college in there big game and they lost 20-17 overtime because of his punt fumble return.....
What a coincidence that he does the EXACT same thing with us and costs us a superbowl, screw that guy we should be 6X superbowl champions

Yeah wasn't a coincidence. He took it upon himself to try to win the game and failed miserably.

Hope he doesn't make the roster. He's a liability in big situations.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Its about need.

Do we really NEED to spend a first round pick on a #2 tight end? Even if he is as good as fleener, we have other needs then TE.

For this offense, sure. The Fleener pick helps us out a lot more than a receiver that would be available at #30. If you base top draft picks solely on need, you end up like the Colts. Solid players at most positions, but no one truely great (outside of Peyton until now).
Originally posted by Joecool:

He's gonna get 600.

Hope so.

Arizona state had a "big game" ?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
you know if, and that is a big if,,,, if they sign ginn back and get at least one nice rookie, williams may really have to fight to stay on the roster. That has nothing to do with his problems in the title game but he could be a victiim of numbers and better people.i guess that is why it will be so nice to have all of the ota's and mini camps this off season

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Its about need.

the mismatches we could do would be great and you can still get a nice wide out in the second.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Manningham is overrated by the webzone. He was a great #3 in an elite passing attack but lets wait and see what he can do with us before we call him the steal of free agency. Josh Morgan was signed before him, there is a reason for that.

Morgan wanted to play in DC
Originally posted by
I'm down with Fleener even more than previously. I think he would help tremendously with what ails this offense and that's reliable targets on 3rd down and in the red-zone. His strengths would also work well with Alex's weaknesses, namely Alex's tendency to lob the ball high at times, for fear of throwing a pass that might be intercepted. With his size and hands, Fleener can go up and get high passes or use his body to create separation. I think he'd be a reliable and constant target all over the field, literally from Day 1.

Scouts think Fleener is a Jimmy Graham Clone. Nah, we don't want that..we;ve got Walker!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0301-pompei-nfl--20120301,0,2606399.column

Its about need.

I think the 2 sides of the argument get confused on the schemes that we run. (WR TE XXXXX TE WR) - this is a 2 TE example and then just imagine a QB and RB behind the center X. If one Wr is Crabs and the Other is Mario, that still means Moss is the 3rd WR not on the field. If we draft a WR like Hill then he will be the 4th WR not on the field, at least in 2 TE sets. When he takes over for Moss the following year, Hill would be the 3rd WR not on the field unless he leap frogs Mannigham. If we go to a 3 WR set than Hill still wouldn't be on the field unless someone needed a breather. People say Fleener or another TE is a Luxury and it really isn't. A 2nd TE would be a starter from day one when we use the multiple TE formations which is alot in our offense. Even when we go to 3 WR sets it will be Crabs, Moss and Manningham so the drafted WR wouldn't be used until they leap frog one of the starter's.

maybe I'm confused at where we are getting hung up here... someone please explain!
  • buck
  • Veteran

Arizona state had a "big game" ?

Arizona vs Arizona St is a big game for those two schools and their fans.

Hell, the California-Stanford is even called the Big Game by Cal and Stanford fans.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Morgan wanted to play in DC
and the amount of money they threw at morgan was off the charts for a number three wide out. we have not even done the draft and i feel we are better now at wide outs then we were when we walked off the field vs the giants
Share 49ersWebzone