LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 289 users in the forums

Players Value

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I agree that the FO has done a good job not chasing high price tag players. however, there is still plenty of value on our current roster that could be locked up (including Smith, Bowman, Goldson, T Brown, Ginn and D Walker). 24M over 3 years is a good price for A. Smith. He can get better, and he can get us to the super bowl next right now. I don't mind keeping a little bit of cap space for an emergency... but any space above 3M a year should be used up.

I also believe the FO did not over offer for Peyton (He may have been more 2M/year more than we offered, but I am very glad we are not payng 96M for 5 years like the broncos).

From my perspective, low balling a Peyton offer was a great move by the FO. I beleive if we landed Peyton it would have been at a great price and great value to Peyton, however I don't think we really expected to get Peyton. Furthermore, I beleive the effect of the flirting with Peyton will stir up Smith and get him to start playing with a chip on his shoulder...Smith needs to start playing like he could be a top free agent in 3 years.
... I think the contract that got offered to alex was hey look.... youve had 6 shakey years and 1 respectable year with a great defense... granted 6 games were against skelton, tavaris, and st louis nobody QB... so thats 6 out of 16 games that mightve inflated our defenses stats, but nonethe less... i dont understand why alex doesnt take the deal... and then outperforms the contract in 12' and then say see? 2 consecutive years now of strong play and ive improved none the less, restructure my dam contract, or something along those lines, alex should have the confidence knowing that he wil outperform last years stats, hes only 27.... isnt joe flacco only getting 6mill a year or something like that?
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by lamontb:
are we being trolled here?

you know it

It must be Tom Condon secretly trying to drum up sympathy with the fan base.
Originally posted by GoldBlooded1985:
I agree that the FO has done a good job not chasing high price tag players. however, there is still plenty of value on our current roster that could be locked up (including Smith, Bowman, Goldson, T Brown, Ginn and D Walker). 24M over 3 years is a good price for A. Smith. He can get better, and he can get us to the super bowl next right now. I don't mind keeping a little bit of cap space for an emergency... but any space above 3M a year should be used up.

I also believe the FO did not over offer for Peyton (He may have been more 2M/year more than we offered, but I am very glad we are not payng 96M for 5 years like the broncos).

From my perspective, low balling a Peyton offer was a great move by the FO. I beleive if we landed Peyton it would have been at a great price and great value to Peyton, however I don't think we really expected to get Peyton. Furthermore, I beleive the effect of the flirting with Peyton will stir up Smith and get him to start playing with a chip on his shoulder...Smith needs to start playing like he could be a top free agent in 3 years.

I think they'll have to let Bowman walk. I don't know if the FO will want to justify almost $100 million in contracts in the same position, between him and Willis. Sucks too because I really like Bowman.
Originally posted by sacguy08:
Originally posted by GoldBlooded1985:

I think they'll have to let Bowman walk. I don't know if the FO will want to justify almost $100 million in contracts in the same position, between him and Willis. Sucks too because I really like Bowman.

If Bow has another all-pro type season it will be extremely tough to keep and he could end up as trade bait this time next year.
Originally posted by Joecool:
You all didn't care when Goldson over valued himself like Alex is doing now. Face it, no team is willing to pay Alex big money because those who watch coaches film, don't see what 33% 49ers fans are seeing.

Goldson didnt have a great year prior to FA.
I like that they offer fair deals and don't go crazy, but they need to up their deal to Smith by a little simply because of Flynn's deal and the way they handled the last week in general. That's just reasonable when it comes to negotiations. It's not negotiations if one side NEVER budges whatsoever. I'm not saying a Fitzpatrick or LOL Sanchez offer is in order, but 3/$27 mil with $12-14 guaranteed is perfectly respectable and hardly overspending.
This approach with our own is working at the moment cause we struck gold in FA last year and with a great new HC.

We will not continue to get 2nd and 3rd tier guys to come in here and far exceed expectations (have career years).

To keep this train rolling, we are going to have to start to show more love to our own who have taken us to this point. If not, we are just plain stupid. It will foster resentment and players will leave.

The grass isn't always greener my friends.

And yeah, its just business and players now it but our FO is gonna get bitten by that same attitude when players leave and the FO cries that they have no loyality.

A year or two of bad FA moves and or drafts along with our players signing elsewhere will have this FO going from the penthouse to outhouse!
Originally posted by jreff22:
You all didn't care when Goldson over valued himself like Alex is doing now. Face it, no team is willing to pay Alex big money because those who watch coaches film, don't see what 33% 49ers fans are seeing.

Neither did Alex.

Neither did Alex.
so this year wasnt great for him? people were talking about him possibly being comeback player of the year.

Neither did Alex.
so this year wasnt great for him? people were talking about him possibly being comeback player of the year.

It was great for him but no for the NFL standard of QB. He was inconsistent in terms of putting together drives...he was afraid to pull the trigger and took a lot of sacks. He couldn't convert 3rd downs and couldn't get the ball into the endzone.

You can probably come up with explanations for these or just as many good things but that is exactly what the problem is, he's not all good and he's not all bad, which makes his overall production average.
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by RayshawnJackson:
Completely false. When a guy posts a 90 QB rating for you and wins 14 games, you damn well better offer him a franchise QB deal. It's amazing that alex is still considering us, but we get to thank the rest of the idiot NFL teams that dont want him and thank them for their idiocy so we still have a shot with him. If I was Baalke, I'd quickly offer him a 5 year 60M deal and see if he accepts it.

So glad ur not our GM lol

2nd that

+1
818, you forget that alex had awful talent around him.

Poor Alex! He's had the worst O line, RB's, WR's, OC's, HC's and now agent. The world will rue the day it turned it's financial means away from one Alex Smith.

That aside, the sarcasm is a little over the top. Headed to the draft...
Monster, why are you glad I'm not the GM? You do realize what a huge mistake we're making by not signing a future HOF QB don't you?

You want to pay Alex almost double what the FO is offering when Alex will prob take the offer on the table, eventually. Did you just call Alex a future HOF QB? Really glad your not the GM.
818, as I said before there is no sarcasm, the 49ers and the rest of the NFL are just showing that they don't know much about judging QB play.

Share 49ersWebzone