LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

What do the 49ers do with their remaining cap space?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by matt49er:
Sign Schwartz and hopefully bring back Ginn. Then I'd like to see Andy Lee extended and Goldson's long term deal comes next IMO

I like that.
Originally posted by Howlett49:
Originally posted by beholden87:
People who want to extend Bowman now are trippin! How would that save money? Bowman is already cheap as hell! Extending him means paying him big money which would be a bigger cap hit this year than the measly 450K he's getting. Some people..........

yeaah! 49ers could use franchise-tag to him later - in the last year of his contract.

That would be better than trying to extend him while he's cheap. I just don't see Bowman on the roster after his contract is up. 49ers would be paying 2 MLB top money. I like the franchise tag idea because if he gets signed by another team they would owe 49ers a 1st rounder or 2 depending on the tender.

AB knows more about this than I do.
This is my exact fear and Aldon is obv a year or two away from an extension I know that was premature on my part. My point was that we should lock up another key player or two and fill the rest of our needs in the draft. You guys don't know Kilgore maybe ready to fill in at the RG spot next year...
Originally posted by beholden87:
People who want to extend Bowman now are trippin! How would that save money? Bowman is already cheap as hell! Extending him means paying him big money which would be a bigger cap hit this year than the measly 450K he's getting. Some people..........

yeaah! 49ers could use franchise-tag to him later - in the last year of his contract.

That would be better than trying to extend him while he's cheap. I just don't see Bowman on the roster after his contract is up. 49ers would be paying 2 MLB top money. I like the franchise tag idea because if he gets signed by another team they would owe 49ers a 1st rounder or 2 depending on the tender.

AB knows more about this than I do.

2 1st rounders. I dont know if he will be hard to sign. The cap is expected to go way way up after 2013 season. In the 180M range and maybe up to 200M in 2015 season.

Willis' deal has no more guaranteed money left after 2012. All his money was paid, and the pro-ration is on 2012 payroll. Only thing left is his annual workout and roster bonuses.

Great thing about several of our guys contracts is the annual roster bonuses. They are tied into being active on gameday. So for Willis, he missed 2 games last year, and thus wasn't paid the full roster bonus. Others with that in there contracts include, Ahmad Brooks, Randy Moss, Carlos Rogers, Vernon Davis, Alex Boone, of course Patrick Willis, And I'm sure Alex and Manningham's deals.

The other roster/option bonuses are based off of previous options picked up, but they are pro-rated over the length of the contract, usually 5 years max. Others who have Gameday to my knowledge are Delanie Walker and Isaac Sopoaga.

Parys Haralson has 300K in offseason bonus, though I think it's workout wise. So if he is cut before OTAs start, he clears his 2.75M salary for 2012.

For 2013 I have us at just over 101.7M committed. Goes up to around 106.7M with 2012 draftees factored in, this is before Alex and Manningham's deals. This also includes a bunch of minimum deals who were signed as future/reserve contracts.

So, we are fine in the future. Hopefully the cap is at 150M in 2013, which would give us in the 40M cap room range when all is said and done.
they should get goldson a long term deal. front load it since we have space this year. i dont see anything else we really need besides a RG and they may be think killgore is ready to go
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
2 1st rounders. I dont know if he will be hard to sign. The cap is expected to go way way up after 2013 season. In the 180M range and maybe up to 200M in 2015 season.

Willis' deal has no more guaranteed money left after 2012. All his money was paid, and the pro-ration is on 2012 payroll. Only thing left is his annual workout and roster bonuses.

Great thing about several of our guys contracts is the annual roster bonuses. They are tied into being active on gameday. So for Willis, he missed 2 games last year, and thus wasn't paid the full roster bonus. Others with that in there contracts include, Ahmad Brooks, Randy Moss, Carlos Rogers, Vernon Davis, Alex Boone, of course Patrick Willis, And I'm sure Alex and Manningham's deals.

The other roster/option bonuses are based off of previous options picked up, but they are pro-rated over the length of the contract, usually 5 years max. Others who have Gameday to my knowledge are Delanie Walker and Isaac Sopoaga.

Parys Haralson has 300K in offseason bonus, though I think it's workout wise. So if he is cut before OTAs start, he clears his 2.75M salary for 2012.

For 2013 I have us at just over 101.7M committed. Goes up to around 106.7M with 2012 draftees factored in, this is before Alex and Manningham's deals. This also includes a bunch of minimum deals who were signed as future/reserve contracts.

So, we are fine in the future. Hopefully the cap is at 150M in 2013, which would give us in the 40M cap room range when all is said and done.

Wow! Thanks AB. You kick ass man.

Wow! Thanks AB. You kick ass man.
Awesome!
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
they should get goldson a long term deal. front load it since we have space this year. i dont see anything else we really need besides a RG and they may be think killgore is ready to go

This

Great Info man thanks I just down want to lose any studs on the PAIN TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, you AB you have to figure us restructuring and giving Willis 17 million this year really lowered some of those later years. He isn't making that much... like 5-7 million. At worst we will have Bowman for 3 more years because we would probably tag him. Justin and Tarrell are also free agents that year but doubt we tag them over him. Justin will be 34 by then... he could be considered for the tag but I'd rather just give him say a top money 2-3 more year deal and have him finish his career here. With all the guys going for more money now days I would hope Justin is one guy that would stick with us and do it right.

Best to take it 1 year at a time though... you start getting ahead of yourself. 3 seasons is a long time away.... a lot can change
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Yeah, you AB you have to figure us restructuring and giving Willis 17 million this year really lowered some of those later years. He isn't making that much... like 5-7 million. At worst we will have Bowman for 3 more years because we would probably tag him. Justin and Tarrell are also free agents that year but doubt we tag them over him. Justin will be 34 by then... he could be considered for the tag but I'd rather just give him say a top money 2-3 more year deal and have him finish his career here. With all the guys going for more money now days I would hope Justin is one guy that would stick with us and do it right.

Best to take it 1 year at a time though... you start getting ahead of yourself. 3 seasons is a long time away.... a lot can change

agreed. Willis' numbers are low after 2012. And yeah Bowman isnt the only FA after 2013, we have like Said Brown and J.Smith. I dont think Justin will be tough to retain. But yeah 1 year at a time. 2013 offseason comes we need to worry about those FAs like Delanie, Sopoaga, Lee, RJF and depended on how Moss and Cartwright do.

I'm not being snide, but is that possible since we've hung the tag on him? I'm not up to speed on the many dirty tricks and gotchas regarding contracts, so that strikes me as a reasonable suggestion, provided it's feasible.

Originally posted by Magzarillious:
Great Info man thanks I just down want to lose any studs on the PAIN TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!

What he said. Thanks as always, AB
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

I'm not being snide, but is that possible since we've hung the tag on him? I'm not up to speed on the many dirty tricks and gotchas regarding contracts, so that strikes me as a reasonable suggestion, provided it's feasible.

we have till july 15th to extend goldson. It would be best to do so, lower his 2012 cap number a bit and use it on someone else who can also contribute.
we have till july 15th to extend goldson. It would be best to do so, lower his 2012 cap number a bit and use it on someone else who can also contribute.

Good to know. Thanks again.

Great info as always.
agreed. Willis' numbers are low after 2012. And yeah Bowman isnt the only FA after 2013, we have like Said Brown and J.Smith. I dont think Justin will be tough to retain. But yeah 1 year at a time. 2013 offseason comes we need to worry about those FAs like Delanie, Sopoaga, Lee, RJF and depended on how Moss and Cartwright do.

I was gong to tell these guys you will drive yourself crazy if you start worrying about free agents 3-4 years in advance. Only AB is crazy enough to do that.

I actually forgot about Akers in 2 years though. Might be done then though. That's one downfall of having a good team though. A lot of guys playing well and you can't keep them all because suddenly teams want your players. I remember the 04 ish days were we had like 5 decent players on the whole roster so it wasn't hard retaining them. Nobody wanted our guys and nobody wanted to come here. That after 2013 season (mid 2014) is going to be a doozy.
Share 49ersWebzone