There are 176 users in the forums

What is the 49ers plan for the OL and protecting Alex Smith going forward?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Davis has a breakout year. Doubt were moving him. Our OL will be

Staley-Iupati-Goodwin-Schwartz-Davis
[ Edited by thechamber52 on Mar 19, 2012 at 5:47 PM ]
Thank you a thought out topic. Some will say davis to guard is dumb but this acknowledges just how good boone cm be and person's potential. You throw in that all three are under contract for 3+ years.
Or they could possibly trade staley or davis in the next 2yrs.

Definatly a great problem to have.
Yeah, meanwhile the Harbaugh Smith continues. Who the hell is our RG.... It was nice look see at Manning for a week. Now get the team a RG.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
IMO if we sign Schwartz we don't go after a guard early. Between him and Kilgore (as a backup plan) I think we would be in good shape for this year. Not sure what Schwartz will bring but at 25 he's worth a shot. There has to be a reason a lot of the panthers fans were mad they didn't tender him. Besides, I think he might be a better option than possibly reaching for Zeitler at 30 or taking a guard at 62. Zeitler might be able to come in and do well... other than that not sure anyone could come in from day one (besides glenn and decastro who will be gone). Also frees us up to use that pick on bpa/WR/Fleener...

If we can go into the draft with Schwartz and possibly Ginn (along with alex) I would be pretty happy. It would mean we are basically set except receiver (wr/fleener) and then we can go BPA the rest of the way and get some depth at safety, maybe a center for the future, maybe a 3rd RB upgrade or Gore replacement, maybe another WR, DL/LB depth, etc.
ok. i am sold, thank you
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
IMO if we sign Schwartz we don't go after a guard early. Between him and Kilgore (as a backup plan) I think we would be in good shape for this year. Not sure what Schwartz will bring but at 25 he's worth a shot. There has to be a reason a lot of the panthers fans were mad they didn't tender him. Besides, I think he might be a better option than possibly reaching for Zeitler at 30 or taking a guard at 62. Zeitler might be able to come in and do well... other than that not sure anyone could come in from day one (besides glenn and decastro who will be gone). Also frees us up to use that pick on bpa/WR/Fleener...

If we can go into the draft with Schwartz and possibly Ginn (along with alex) I would be pretty happy. It would mean we are basically set except receiver (wr/fleener) and then we can go BPA the rest of the way and get some depth at safety, maybe a center for the future, maybe a 3rd RB upgrade or Gore replacement, maybe another WR, DL/LB depth, etc.
it is very nice to go into a draft worrying about mostly getting depth for our team i do think if ginn leaves we do have to find a wide out who can return kicks? I know we have the cox kid but that is a pretty crowded secondary and do not want to take a chance on him getting cut leaving us with no good return man
I posted this in the rumors thread but from Panthers fans..

he's solid. wish we kept him.

PFF had him as an underrated player to watch in FA, a poor mans Marshall Yanda.

He's a solid Guard. 2 years ago he was forced to play Tackle and did not do very well, but as a Guard he is a fine player.

Wish he stayed in Carolina.

He's a good guy to have on the roster. Not a stellar player, but very solid. Can kick out to tackle in a pinch, though it's obviously not his best position. hes a very solid player.

Versatile, plays the guard spot very well, can play tackle in a pinch.

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!! I want to scream at my bedroom wall. Idiotic move...
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 19, 2012 at 6:47 PM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
ok. i am sold, thank you

Don't want to get anyone hopes up too high. I think he would be a solid pickup and for say 10 million or less he isn't going to be a Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs but those guys also got 47 and 36 mil with 31 and 16 guaranteed.
Davis is only 22 years old, younger than the top two ranked tackles in this years draft. It's simply too early to give up on him at tackle.
Originally posted by Furlow:
This. Boone is a franchise LT. We have an absolute gem and he will end up being our bookend LT of the future.

Lol are you guys serious? You've hardly seen him play. When he comes in on Jumbo packages he rarely blocks a d lineman 1 on 1. If the coaching staff thought he was a franchise LT he would be on the field every down by now. He certainly would not have signed a 4 year deal for backup money, unless his agent is a broke crackhead.

The webzone is really starting to make me sick. Alex Smith has a "breakout" year in which he throws 17 Tds, at the same time, Crabtree was his leading receiver in every category, but he underperformed and should be cut. Now, we finally have an All Pro LT and you guys want to replace him with a bench warmer that saw about 100 snaps all season.

Are there any fans out there that base their opinions on other than their own personal endeerment for a player?
[ Edited by DirtyP on Mar 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM ]
can boone play G?

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
can boone play G?

Probably but he's almost 6'8' its not a great fit for him
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
Personally, I think Boone is better than Staley and Davis.
How could you possibly think that?
Originally posted by Draftology:
How could you possibly think that?

Don't encourage him
We need to reshuffle RG, for sure. They're bringing in Geoff Schwartz tomorrow...I hope they give him a good look. He'd be an upgrade from what we've had at the position in recent years. If not, then make OG a draft priority...I'm talking Zeitler or Osemele. AD is still young and can arguably prosper a lot more if he has a much better OG next to him. They need to find someone who can do the same thing on the right side that Iupati and Staley do on the left side, which is basically communicate well and support each other. Don't see how anyone can say Boone is better than either Staley or AD...he hasn't proven anything yet.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
We need to reshuffle RG, for sure. They're bringing in Geoff Schwartz tomorrow...I hope they give him a good look. He'd be an upgrade from what we've had at the position in recent years. If not, then make OG a draft priority...I'm talking Zeitler or Osemele. AD is still young and can arguably prosper a lot more if he has a much better OG next to him. They need to find someone who can do the same thing on the right side that Iupati and Staley do on the left side, which is basically communicate well and support each other. Don't see how anyone can say Boone is better than either Staley or AD...he hasn't proven anything yet.

This and what DirtyP said. Boone's is a nice story, about how he cleaned up his act and reformed his body, and yes, he's been good when pressed into play, but to say he's better than the guys we have starting is a bit of a stretch and we certainly need to see much more of him to make an accurate assessment; not to mention, he needs more experience. Snyder was good and versatile and need to fill that gap first and foremost with a true guard. We also haven't heard much about the backups we drafted aleady. How do the coaches feel about THEM?
Share 49ersWebzone