There are 173 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is the 49ers plan for the OL and protecting Alex Smith going forward?

Sacks went 6 for Staley, 3.5 for Iupati, 6 for Goodwin, 3 for Snyder (but a ton of pressures) and you better believe some of Goodwin's 6 were due to Snyder being next to him, 9.5 for Anthony Davis.

And we led the league in sacks in less than 2.5 seconds. Think we had like 2.5% where the league average was 1.5%. Anthony needs to mature on and off the field and we need to work on blitz pickups. For the most part we are fine in one on one situations.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 19, 2012 at 5:29 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Byisgod:
We will sign Schwartz. Book it.

I'm thinking so but he just said awesome visit with the Vikings and they can offer more money. But like I said favorite team, grew up in LA so close to home, chance at SB. Guess we will find out if he wants that or money. I just hope we can sign him before he leaves but he might be looking to visit the Chiefs yet and not make up his mind until he visits everyone.

Young player + Favorite team + trip to the playoffs > Money (if he was an older OG with expanded health issues, he'd take the money).

Vikings aren't going anywhere for the next 5-7 years; Packers, Bears, and Lions are all making that known right now.
Time will tell. I think you have to look diffetently at rd1 now. All the Wallace piners out there can forget it. We just may go after a guard in rd 1. If we move up it will be to get harbaughs boy from Stanford.
Sacks went 6 for Staley, 3.5 for Iupati, 6 for Goodwin, 3 for Snyder (but a ton of pressures) and you better believe some of Goodwin's 6 were due to Snyder being next to him, 9.5 for Anthony Davis.

Damn you're good thank you!!

And we led the league in sacks in less than 2.5 seconds. Think we had like 2.5% where the league average was 1.5%. Anthony needs to mature on and off the field and we need to work on blitz pickups. For the most part we are fine in one on one situations.

Some of the sacks by Davis were probably due to having Rachal/Snyder next to him too.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

Been looking into who gave up the sacks for months now... that's 29 of the 44... tried finding the rest but can't. Gore gave up some, maybe Miller, Hunter... etc Not sure you can put any on the QB but definitely some are Alex holding onto the ball for to long. I do a lot of researching and a lot of reading instead of posting and making threads.

No problem. I'd rather talk about something productive other than add to the 1000 pages of Alex Smith talk. Sick of the garbage around here...
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Some of the sacks by Davis were probably due to having Rachal/Snyder next to him too.

He gave up 3 to jason Babin (philly) in the wide 9 stance. They definitely don't help though... he needs someone stable next to him.... having to worry about them doesn't help him. He has to mature on and off the field. The guy has a ton of potential. Has to get his head right. Already fixed his false start problems... think he had a few compared to 2010 where he probably had 10 of them. Much like the line he had some really really good stretches of no sacks given up and then had a few bad games. I wish i knew where his other 6.5 sacks came from... but if you figure 6.5 for the other 15 games that's not too bad.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 19, 2012 at 5:35 PM ]

Been looking into who gave up the sacks for months now... that's 29 of the 44... tried finding the rest but can't. Gore gave up some, maybe Miller, Hunter... etc Not sure you can put any on the QB but definitely some are Alex holding onto the ball for to long. I do a lot of researching and a lot of reading instead of posting and making threads.

No problem. I'd rather talk about something productive other than add to the 1000 pages of Alex Smith talk. Sick of the garbage around here...

Thanks again, I appreciate it. I know the drama in the other unmentioned threads...I am a protester hahaha. Go Niners!!!
Thanks again, I appreciate it. I know the drama in the other unmentioned threads...I am a protester hahaha. Go Niners!!!

You look at the good posters like OTC, AB, NCommand, Oldman9er, Marvin, etc, etc and notice how they don't get into that crap and if they do they try to bring some logic but like I said neither side will convince the other side is right.
I think a lot will depend on if we sign Geoff Schwartz when he visits tomorrow. I really think we want to give Davis one more year before we give up on him and move him to RG. He has shown improvement, he has a ton of potential. A solid RG would help him. P.S. We use the jumbo formation a lot so Boone is like a 3rd starting tackle. By the way Anthony gave up 9.5 sacks but 3 were to Jason Babin in the wide 9 split.

If Schwartz signs tomorrow, then the Niners will have more flexibility going into the draft. I agree with jreff22 that moving Davis right now, probably isn't the best idea. Got to wonder how confident the FO is about Kilgore or Person going forward playing next to AD. If they stand pat after signing Schwartz, I guess we will know.
Sign schwartz and we are good. He is an upgrade over Snyder and our line will be above avg to solid
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:
Sign schwartz and we are good. He is an upgrade over Snyder and our line will be above avg to solid
we will still add a RG in the draft right?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
If Schwartz signs tomorrow, then the Niners will have more flexibility going into the draft. I agree with jreff22 that moving Davis right now, probably isn't the best idea. Got to wonder how confident the FO is about Kilgore or Person going forward playing next to AD. If they stand pat after signing Schwartz, I guess we will know.

Yeah, I think we give AD one more year before giving up on him and when a tackle fails they move to G. Leonard Davis did that with the Cowboys after being the 2nd overall pick? with the Cardinals. He was a heck of a guard for a stretch though. Less space makes it easier for guys who aren't as quick but are tough/big as heck and you can't bullrush them.

If we get Schwartz I don't think we draft a RG early. If we don't sing Schwartz and don't draft a guard high that obviously says we have faith in Kilgore. Person not sure about... he seen very little action. Wouldn't be surprised if he he doesn't make the team next year though.
Originally posted by cciowa:
we will still add a RG in the draft right?

IMO if we sign Schwartz we don't go after a guard early. Between him and Kilgore (as a backup plan) I think we would be in good shape for this year. Not sure what Schwartz will bring but at 25 he's worth a shot. There has to be a reason a lot of the panthers fans were mad they didn't tender him. Besides, I think he might be a better option than possibly reaching for Zeitler at 30 or taking a guard at 62. Zeitler might be able to come in and do well... other than that not sure anyone could come in from day one (besides glenn and decastro who will be gone). Also frees us up to use that pick on bpa/WR/Fleener...

If we can go into the draft with Schwartz and possibly Ginn (along with alex) I would be pretty happy. It would mean we are basically set except receiver (wr/fleener) and then we can go BPA the rest of the way and get some depth at safety, maybe a center for the future, maybe a 3rd RB upgrade or Gore replacement, maybe another WR, DL/LB depth, etc.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM ]
Originally posted by elguapo:

We'll see. So long as he's recovered from that hip injury. Kilgore will have something to say about it too.