There are 206 users in the forums

Who do you WANT to be QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who do you WANT to be QB

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If Smith can't improve upon his 2011 season with all of the following:

- A year in the system
- A full off-season, mini-camps, OTA, TC, etc.
- MUCH better receivers

...Then he shouldn't be the starter in the following 2013 season, and by then, Kaep should have enough time spent learning to make a push to start.

This /thread
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Alex Smith!!!! dude just help guide us to a 14-4 record.....Kaepernick is not ready.

This and this.

Originally posted by GNielsen:
If Alex can lead us to within a KW fumble of the Super Bowl, despite ALL the ENORMOUS obstacles faced last year with the off-season, etc. ... then I'm dang sure I would like to have him show what he can do with a year under his belt in the Harbaugh WCO and none of the obstacles he had last year.

This year, he actually has receivers to throw to... Moss, Crabtree, Manningham is WAY.. WAAAAY better than all of the following combos:

Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn
Crabtree, Ginn, Swain
Crabtree, Swain, Williams - NFCCG
I agree. I want Smith back with a full off-season, a second year in the same system and a crew of better receivers. He's bound to be better in '12 and he was pretty damn good in '11 no matter what these haters think. 7 comeback wins including one in Philly and that stunning playoff against the Saints? Come on. But, if the Dolphins are offering 4 or 5 years with a lot more guaranteed money, he could take it and that wouldn't be a disaster for the Niners. Josh Johnson had over 40 td's against 1 or 2 ints playing for Harbaugh and Kap has had a year to sit there and watch NFL defenses. Plus, Harbaugh is real good at bringing young guys along. I like Alex Smith a lot. I've always rooted for him. But honestly, I think Josh Johnson or Colin Kaepernick can do the job with Harbaugh as their coach.

If Smith can't improve upon his 2011 season with all of the following:

- A year in the system
- A full off-season, mini-camps, OTA, TC, etc.
- MUCH better receivers

...Then he shouldn't be the starter in the following 2013 season, and by then, Kaep should have enough time spent learning to make a push to start.

I am an Alex supporter

but agree with this statement 10000000000000000%
Originally posted by 11ThrowItNDaDirt:
Im not hating on any Alex fan. I just wish people would ask what has he actually done? He led one the lowest ranking passing offenses in the league. And he wants to get paid for that? Could you produce what he did at your job and still have one? I just want them to move on, for the good or bad. How many people said Hunter, Davis, Culliver, etc were not ready? We will never know until Colin is given a fair chance.

This- I just want to move from the Alex era already...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
He did? How many times did the defense give them excellent field position and David Akers ended up kicking a field goal?

Don't know if your replying to me but if you re-read my post it says "help guide us" as in he was ALSO key....I mean geez someone had to throw the ball right??
Originally posted by AldonGood99:
I have been on this forum for years and never registered until now. Alex is fools gold. He has been stealing money for years and has not produced ANYTHING. He has wasted Gores career. He has killed (2) coaches careers. I don't think he has ever thrown for over 300 yards, which by todays QB standards is nothing. He holds on to the ball and takes unnecessary sacks. The defense has been good for years, but due to his lack of production they haven't received their fare due. He throws balls in the dirt, behind receivers or too far beyond normal human jumping ability. I live on the East Coast and have watched every Niners game since 97'. I have yet to find ANY Niners fan up and done the East Coast that feels any different than my comments relating to Smith. Can you imagine what a competent QB would have done in there offense last year? Its too hard to think about, because too many people want to see this bum on the field. I could write all day about how much I hate seeing him in a Niners jersey, but at the end of the day it means nothing. The Alex fans will never understand until they see a real QB and reflect on what they could have been without Alex Smith as QB. Why haven't the Niners actually brought anyone in to give him competition for the job? Harbaugh obviously has no faith in Colin or he wouldn't have shot down him dreams without giving him or anyone else a chance to compete for the job. Alex has been given a free ride to get by and get paid for millions for it. You and I would be locked up for stealing like that. Another question for all you Alex fans, If they didn't have the GREAT Special Teams and Defense would Alex have a job this year? If Colin ever gets on the field, Alex might as well turn in his uniform along with that blue collar shirt.
I live on the East Coast and i don't agree with you at all. He didn't get two coaches fired, they did a pretty good job on their own. Nolan was all talk, and Singletary was all bluster. I would imagine a competent QB could get his team to the NFC championship, which Alex did. Besides Vernon, (and no I don't believe that Crabs is a #1 option at receiver) who the hell has this guy had to throw to. He's wasted Frank's career? I think the Niners front office of the past is much more responsible for that than a Quarterback who had no system, no weapons and no confidence. I would think the niners didn't get anyone to "challenge" Smith for the job because a lot of these athletes have these things called eyes and brains, and realized coming here would be tantamount to career suicide. This was an awfully run franchise for years, way before Young went down for the final time, and the depth and overall talent of this team during that era bare that out. You want to blame one person for an entire franchise's ineptness, then go ahead. But all this terrible football starts at the top and works it way down. Sh*t travels downhill. To think that one draft pick on a quarterback is enough to turn around a franchise is laughable. The talent on the niners was akin to a expansion franchise and you think because we led the lamb to the slaughter it's his fault he got killed. I'm glad you waited this long for your first post. Hopefully you will wait a few more years until your next one.

Other than that, your analysis was spot on.

I respect your opinion, I live in Va and have not seen many fans happy with his production. Thats what Im trying to say. I was at the Niners/ Skins game back in november and even the skins fans sitting near us were saying Alex is holding them back. I really think its a mute point until we get a better QB and reflect on how much time they wasted fooling around with Alex.
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
I have been on this forum for years and never registered until now. Alex is fools gold. He has been stealing money for years and has not produced ANYTHING. He has wasted Gores career. He has killed (2) coaches careers. I don't think he has ever thrown for over 300 yards, which by todays QB standards is nothing. He holds on to the ball and takes unnecessary sacks. The defense has been good for years, but due to his lack of production they haven't received their fare due. He throws balls in the dirt, behind receivers or too far beyond normal human jumping ability. I live on the East Coast and have watched every Niners game since 97'. I have yet to find ANY Niners fan up and done the East Coast that feels any different than my comments relating to Smith. Can you imagine what a competent QB would have done in there offense last year? Its too hard to think about, because too many people want to see this bum on the field. I could write all day about how much I hate seeing him in a Niners jersey, but at the end of the day it means nothing. The Alex fans will never understand until they see a real QB and reflect on what they could have been without Alex Smith as QB. Why haven't the Niners actually brought anyone in to give him competition for the job? Harbaugh obviously has no faith in Colin or he wouldn't have shot down him dreams without giving him or anyone else a chance to compete for the job. Alex has been given a free ride to get by and get paid for millions for it. You and I would be locked up for stealing like that. Another question for all you Alex fans, If they didn't have the GREAT Special Teams and Defense would Alex have a job this year? If Colin ever gets on the field, Alex might as well turn in his uniform along with that blue collar shirt.

i think some would agree... considering we went after Peyton... however that didnt work out now who would you like to see us have at quarterback... you just said yourself kaep was shot down... Alex and Company were brought to the NFC championship game... as weve said 60times no one is saying here alex have the team forever... nooo we are saying heres 1 more year, to have your year of continuity and progression with the same system/O-Line/Receivers and see if you can get us back to the NFC champ game or surpass your #'s... the kid finished with a 100.00 QB rating 500 yards 5TD's in 2 games in the playoffs he finished HOTT.. id like to see him 1 year back and see what happens..

I don't want to see him back period... He is holding them back. If they do end up bringing him back I will get over it. I just wish the coach and GM will bring in some competition and make it a open job. IMO for the offensive fire power they have they should not be in the bottom in the league in passing again. If so he has failed again.

.... a ENTIRE NEW coaching staff... NO OFFSEASON.... 13-3 Record Overtime Away from Superbowl ... Alex TIED HISTORY NFL Fewest Turnovers... Alex's Best season yet..... as i said.. ill give him another year to see how he does... if his numbers improve, especially in the redzone and we do as well as we did in the playoffs again or better im obviousley a believer...
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Yeah but thats the same as Alex left some Td's on the field as well by not hitting guys that were wide open or simply not throwing the ball. At the end of the day, we only have the stats he finished with. I can care less about his yards being a little over 3000, I just think that he should have had more TD's. Even if VD is double covered and Crabs isn't open and they stuff the box against Gore... then run the ball, roll out and make a play, by more time for the wr's, etc... It just can't always be someone else's fault

Clearly it isn't always someone else fault but give Smith some credit for what he did last year. It was done in the first season of the WCO and without an off season to prep. Smith and the 9ers offense can build on last year. Are you saying Smith and company can't?
No I do give Smith Credit. I am really not an Alex Hater although I am starting to feel a tug to the Dark Side...

I love the way he played during the comebacks he had to make. In the Philly game and Detroit and the Saints game, etc... I wish he played that way all the time. Not from behind but it seems like when he was behind he was firing on all cylinders. 2nd half of Philly and the Detroit game he looked like a QB. We beat the Giants in the regular season and they are a good team - Alex looked good in the 2nd half but in the first half we drove down the field 5 times and came away with 4 FG's. Still, why do we beat a good team and then barely beat the browns or Washington. Shouldn't we be killing these bottom feeder teams. There didn't look like there was seperation in the way he played. Just middle of the road. I really am not trying to destroy the guy. I feel like his level is only so high and even if he gets there it's just not good enough to be great.

i think some would agree... considering we went after Peyton... however that didnt work out now who would you like to see us have at quarterback... you just said yourself kaep was shot down... Alex and Company were brought to the NFC championship game... as weve said 60times no one is saying here alex have the team forever... nooo we are saying heres 1 more year, to have your year of continuity and progression with the same system/O-Line/Receivers and see if you can get us back to the NFC champ game or surpass your #'s... the kid finished with a 100.00 QB rating 500 yards 5TD's in 2 games in the playoffs he finished HOTT.. id like to see him 1 year back and see what happens..

I don't want to see him back period... He is holding them back. If they do end up bringing him back I will get over it. I just wish the coach and GM will bring in some competition and make it a open job. IMO for the offensive fire power they have they should not be in the bottom in the league in passing again. If so he has failed again.

.... a ENTIRE NEW coaching staff... NO OFFSEASON.... 13-3 Record Overtime Away from Superbowl ... Alex TIED HISTORY NFL Fewest Turnovers... Alex's Best season yet..... as i said.. ill give him another year to see how he does... if his numbers improve, especially in the redzone and we do as well as we did in the playoffs again or better im obviousley a believer...

I have no doubt without the fumble against the Giants they would have won the SB. Other than that I believe the defense and special teams were the main reason for them even being in that position. The play calling was better so I would like to see more TD like any sane fan. If a receiver is not running 5 feet or more he won't throw the ball. If you watched the SB the throws Manning and Brady were attempting I don't think he would have. I think he would have ran around and threw it away or took a sack.
Sometimes I just don't understand the zone. Why do we want Alex back at 8 mill? Not many think Harbaugh is capable of developing a solid game plan for Kaepernick? What happened to change?
  • GORO
  • Veteran
If Jim Harbaugh is a Qb guru then let him develope Kaepernick or Tolzien. Alex Smith has gotten better every year but because of Nolan and Singleterry he doesnot take risks. Because of Jimmy Raye he looks for the TE first before a reciever. He was very good in not turning the ball over, poor on third down, really good in the 4th quarter.

Kapernick can be really good but not sitting on the bench.

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
we moved up for Dalton but Cincy beat us to him. So we took CK.

That is pure speculation

I have no doubt without the fumble against the Giants they would have won the SB. Other than that I believe the defense and special teams were the main reason for them even being in that position. The play calling was better so I would like to see more TD like any sane fan. If a receiver is not running 5 feet or more he won't throw the ball. If you watched the SB the throws Manning and Brady were attempting I don't think he would have. I think he would have ran around and threw it away or took a sack.

not that im comparing alex and joe montana because most people will go OH NO YOU DIDNT Lol but Joe Montana was not a gunslinger either, he would dink it off alot for the 6-7 yard gains, he just would move us down the field and score with ease. but with dinky passes... just a fyi he wasnt no Drew Brees or Peyton Manning
At the end of the day I want to see Colin playing or at least given a chance. Im done with having faith in Alex. This dude been in the NFL long enough to have created some form of name for his self. The only name thrown around is BUST. I can live with that, just move on and give someone else a try. In the 7 or 8 years Alex has been there I think they only drafted 1 QB and brought in over the hill bums like Dilfer to give him competition, please...

not that im comparing alex and joe montana because most people will go OH NO YOU DIDNT Lol but Joe Montana was not a gunslinger either, he would dink it off alot for the 6-7 yard gains, he just would move us down the field and score with ease. but with dinky passes... just a fyi he wasnt no Drew Brees or Peyton Manning

That was another era. Do you think some of your heroes or players would be as dominant in this day and time? I don't think so.
I think we all can agree at this point that Alex Smith is a serviceable player, who is the safer start at QB. We should still want to upgrade the QB position if we can. I understand that we have all grown to like Alex Smith as a person, but coach Harbaugh determines that better option is on the roster every fan should be on board whether your gut tells you to trust the decision or not.
Share 49ersWebzone