There are 65 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who will replace Frank Gore in the coming year??

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
IMO, we are holding on to Gore way too long.....Unless we believe Hunter is his replacement, it's time to start upgrading.

If Harbaugh is as savy as I think he is, Gore could be the suprise cut this year when we draft his replacement. Maybe we keep him on for leadership and blocking ability.

Bold prediction my friend! I have us going Fleener with #1 and a RB at #2. Hunter is a stud but hasn't been utilized correctly...think he could be a Sproles in our offense, not to mention he has the speed to get outside and hits holes inside very quickly. You can use him out in space and with screens and move him around. Great find.

That said, on to Gore. Who doesn't love this guy, his effort and his heart!? He's a true Niner. That said, if Bill Walsh was here, I doubt he signs a LT deal with us. He is not a WCO-type of back. Clearly, he is more than injury prone and has not only lost speed but quickness esp, getting up in the holes. He's also one-dimensional. He has never been able to run off tackle and this makes it very easy to defend him (see, 8-9 men in the box run blitzing between the Tackles en route to crushing Alex on overloads). He has also been getting progressively worse at catching. His blocking last year was the worst I've seen since his rookie year.

That said, "perhaps" with another weapon like Fleener and two outside threats in Moss and Manningham and Hunter being used correctly, perhaps Gore gets healthy this offseason, he works on his quickness/burst and speed and the holes open up again against less 8-9 men, run-blitzing fronts. BUT he better work on his pass catching and focus on stellar blocking again.

Like with Crabtree, until Hunter, Gore has never been challenged either. I suspect that will change this year with the #2 pick.

Can't disagree with anything you said....
even though he was limited for much of the year, Gore had arguably the second best season of his career.

I think he's got a year or two left him in, and his deal is favorable. we need to look to the future, but I highly doubt he will be cut next year.
Originally posted by Snider8706:
Grank fore will take over from here on out.

even if fore...
Originally posted by HessianDud:
even though he was limited for much of the year, Gore had arguably the second best season of his career.

I think he's got a year or two left him in, and his deal is favorable. we need to look to the future, but I highly doubt he will be cut next year.

No doubt, but on a YPC basis, he was basically even with Hunter, the rookie. And as it has been discussed, a lot of his big games came while the league was still trying to figure out how to stop Harbaugh's "Jumbo Packages." With that said, I'm not saying Gore isn't productive, but he certainly shouldn't be relied on to be a workhorse any longer. I think a really dynamic runner would of run wild in Harbaugh's system last year. Harbaugh knows how to create space for his backs, so I 'd like a guy that has the speed and quickness to take advantage of that.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 22, 2012 at 8:58 AM ]
Originally posted by HessianDud:

No doubt, but on a YPC basis, he was basically even with Hunter, the rookie. And as it has been discussed, a lot of his big games came while the league was still trying to figure out how to stop Harbaugh's "Jumbo Packages." With that said, I'm not saying Gore isn't productive, but he certainly shouldn't be relied on to be a workhorse any longer. I think a really dynamic runner would of run wild in Harbaugh's system last year. Harbaugh knows how to create space for his backs, so I 'd like a guy that has the speed and quickness to take advantage of that.

i agree. I think using Gore sparingly will make him more effective anyway. we need a good committee for now (2/3 of the way there), and a workhorse for the future. We need to find someone in the draft who can do what Dixon is supposed to do and start taking carries away from Gore. Maybe it will motivate him, or just keep him fresh, or whatever, but either way he will be more effective. I still think Gore can be a 1000 yard guy, especially if our O-line as a whole plays better. Fixing the RG spot is a priority now, because even if the league has figured out our running game, we need to make sure they can't stop it. A stud RG will make that easier, and make life better for all of our backs.
Bears agreed to terms with RB Michael Bush on a four-year, $14 million contract.

This should expedite Marion Barber's release, a move that would free up $1.7 million in cap space. Bush's addition also gives the Bears significant leverage in contract talks with unsigned franchise player Matt Forte. Even if Forte threatens a holdout, the Bears can sit comfortably with a starting-caliber back under contract, and Kahlil Bell at No. 2 on the depth chart. Bush isn't a dynamic runner, but he's got quick feet for his size and is a bull to bring down. He's also an adept receiver and pass blocker. Bush's addition may cut into Forte's 2012 fantasy value. He's definitely a candidate for short-yardage and goal-line work.

Can't believe we didn't even look at him......

Doesn't sound like that much money....http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/230488/bears-do-4-year-$14m-deal-with-michael-bush
Bears agreed to terms with RB Michael Bush on a four-year, $14 million contract.

This should expedite Marion Barber's release, a move that would free up $1.7 million in cap space. Bush's addition also gives the Bears significant leverage in contract talks with unsigned franchise player Matt Forte. Even if Forte threatens a holdout, the Bears can sit comfortably with a starting-caliber back under contract, and Kahlil Bell at No. 2 on the depth chart. Bush isn't a dynamic runner, but he's got quick feet for his size and is a bull to bring down. He's also an adept receiver and pass blocker. Bush's addition may cut into Forte's 2012 fantasy value. He's definitely a candidate for short-yardage and goal-line work.

Doesn't sound like that much money....http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/230488/bears-do-4-year-$14m-deal-with-michael-bush

that's not a bad deal, but we're just not a team that is going to go to FA for RB's like that. We'll get guys off the scrap heap and pay a minimum; otherwise, all our RBs will come in the draft.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Can not argue with anything you said.I guess they think they can get a guy in the third round of the draft like they got last year?
I hope they draft another running back. I'm beginning to think Dixon is a waste of roster spot at RB and why is Norris still on the team.
Stewart is a good replacement. It is time to start looking to replace Gore. Love the guy but he has lost his explosiveness
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I hope they draft another running back. I'm beginning to think Dixon is a waste of roster spot at RB and why is Norris still on the team.

I think both will not make the 53 man roster. Dixon will be replaced with a draftee and Norris has already been replaced with Miller.
I will always hate Jimmy Raye and Sing for running Gore into the crown on middling teams. Finally we are good and our "bell cow" is just about milked dry.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
I will always hate Jimmy Raye and Sing for running Gore into the crown on middling teams. Finally we are good and our "bell cow" is just about milked dry.
i think frank still has some milk left in his tits but you are right those jokers did alot of damage to this team. i think any third or fourth round draft pick can replace dixon and like i said earlier, in a pinch i think the rock can even get us a couple key yards such as third and one, which dixon could not do vs the giants. i know most are mad at kyle williams but jesus that really made me postal that he could pick that up,,,,, anyway back to topic, i think we can still milk franks tits for another two years before they run dry
I wanted gore to get a ring so bad last year. It will suck if he doesn't
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
i think frank still has some milk left in his tits but you are right those jokers did alot of damage to this team. i think any third or fourth round draft pick can replace dixon and like i said earlier, in a pinch i think the rock can even get us a couple key yards such as third and one, which dixon could not do vs the giants. i know most are mad at kyle williams but jesus that really made me postal that he could pick that up,,,,, anyway back to topic, i think we can still milk franks tits for another two years before they run dry

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:54 PM ]