LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

What's Your Confidence Level in Colin Kaepernick?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What's Your Confidence Level in Colin Kaepernick?

I guess he would start and struggle. Nobody knows. We only saw him really in preseason LAST year.
I forsee CK with Tolzien as backup in 1-3 years no matter what happens. All I know is that it sure beats
talking about Manning/Smith/CK/Hasselback with JH then O'Sullivan/Smith/Smith with Sing.
Like being in a different universe. This is like the choice of being stranded in the desert with
a choice of poluted wate bottles or in a Miami dance club with beautiful women (after a couple of
beers so all women look good).
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
he made huge mistakes in preseason last year against 3rd stringers. i cant see it yet. i know hell be good but, not ready in any way shape or form, no way hell meet alex numbers hell throw way more than 5 picks

However, keep in mind that he was also playing with third stringers. Some of them not even as good as the ones that people here have commented on when they talked about how Alex had no receivers to throw to. His best receiver was Williams. His other main receiver did not even make the practice squad. Though he did have Edwards for a few plays

How many of the mistakes were his and how many were the receiver not finishing the route or running the wrong route? Go back and look at the film from then. He had one interception where he threw it short that was clearly his. He had one where Edwards cut off the route to avoid contact that got intercepted. He had one that was in Johnson's hands that the DB took away from him, etc.

Alex, who was playing with the first string offense, with people whom he had played with before, did not exactly look stellar during that same time frame.
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BayArea:
I graduated college at UNR the same year that CK7 was drafted to the 49ers. I saw about 75% of UNR's home games and also was at the Kraft Bowl which UNR won. This kid is a stud!! His raw athletic skills are insane. He is so fast for a QB you wouldn't believe it. Kid has the physical attributes to be a wide receiver and don't get me started on his arm. He has nothing short of a cannon his throws have heat on them and he can throw WAY deep. He reminds me a lot of RG3 in that he is athletic as all hell. His issues are he needs to learn to control that raw throwing power because sometimes he puts so much heat on his deep throws he overthrows his receivers. He needs to get used to reading NFL defenses as well, and get out of that mindset he is in from that UNR pistol offense.

Now... what do I think of him? I think with Harbaugh as his mentor this kid will be in the hall of fame some day. I think he will be top tier NFL star QB. He will be up their alongside all those QB's that are leading the league. He will be spoken in the same breathe as Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, the Mannings, and Brady. I honestly believe this. Add to it that Jim is top notch at spotting QB talent and molding them into something great. He did after all pickup Andrew Luck, and could see RG3's talent enough to go after him as well. There is a reason Jim traded up to get this guy.

This kid will break out like a freight train once Jim has him ready.

You did not mention that in the Nevada system, unlike most college programs The base play was called in, The QB called the formation (they hardly ever huddled up). Then he had to read the defense then based upon what he saw,call the play, call the receiver routes, call the running back routes and even the type of blocking scheme. Far more than what was expected of most college quarterbacks.
[ Edited by rdc1 on Mar 18, 2012 at 2:50 PM ]
CK is gonna suprise a lot of people.
on a scale of 1-10 10 being the highest.........5
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ERJUNKY:
I think harbaugh and Trent ballke are brilliant! I think they went after manning as a way to push Alex out knowing that if they don't get PM that CK is ready! And if they do get Peyton that's an added bonus for CK to sit and learn from one of the greatest! It's genius and and think we should just sit back and enjoy watching this front office and staff build this dynasty! I'm enjoying all this!!!!!!

Don't think so they did not have to do anything if they wanted Alex out.

I believe it is exactly as Harbaugh said at the end of last season. That they wanted Alex back for "continuity".

When the opportunity for Manning came up, especially if Manning contacted the 49er's, they had to move.
Originally posted by rdc1:

I believe it is exactly as Harbaugh said at the end of last season. That they wanted Alex back for "continuity".

When the opportunity for Manning came up, especially if Manning contacted the 49er's, they had to move.

If they threw Alex out for a noobie, they'd have a major PR issue on their hands...
Originally posted by nickbradley:

If they threw Alex out for a noobie, they'd have a major PR issue on their hands...

Yeah, but the Colts parted w/ Peyton for Andrew Luck
Originally posted by b9er37:
CK is gonna suprise a lot of people.

I agree. There are people who say he'll do great and people who says he's gong to be awful. Either way he's going to surprise one group.
Originally posted by lazy:
are we playing NMSU next year?

He looked good against Cal...

And Boise State...

Originally posted by JimsSweatshirt:

Yeah, but the Colts parted w/ Peyton for Andrew Luck

The Colts and 9ers situations are much different. Peyton cost too much for a 36 year old QB coming off of major surgery and the Colts had to deal with a salary cap mess. Plus the have the #1 overall pick to get Andrew Luck. Smith just lead the team to a 13-3 recrod and the NFC Championship game and the 9ers don't have a rock solid plan on who will replace him if they let him go.
We get Manning, im happy, we make playoffs

We keep Alex, im happy, we make playoffs

We lose em both and start Kaeps, im happy, we make playoffs

Win, Win and Win
Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, Christian Ponder were all well below average during the preseason. I have no idea how Kap will play when he gets a chance but to judge based on his preseason play during rookie strike shortened preseason is simple minded and short sighted.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Mar 18, 2012 at 3:47 PM ]
him learning under manning sets us up good for now and the future

i really hope it happens
  • rdc1
  • Veteran

If it comes to winning games or favorable PR, I don't think Harbaugh really cares about the PR.
Share 49ersWebzone