There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What's Your Confidence Level in Colin Kaepernick?

What's Your Confidence Level in Colin Kaepernick?

Originally posted by sfout:
Andy Dalton made huge mistakes in the preseason last year against 1st, 2nd, and 3rd stringers; preseason makes every young QB look terrible. Hell his first pass was an interception and look how it turned out for him.

In the end I would be more pissed about our FO botching it with 2 QBs then worried about how Kaepernick will look in a run first, ball control, short throw with shot plays offense after having a mini-offseason, full season and 2 playoff games of time before possibly being named the starter and then if he is named the starter he'd have a full off season of OTAs, Mini-camp and preseason before he played in the regular season. Not to mention we have 1 Elite TE, a "good" TE, 2 "good" WRs in Crabtree and Manningham and 1 over the hill HOF WR in Moss, 1 over the hill franchise leading rusher in Gore and a dynamic change of pace back in Hunter.

I'd be about as worried with Kaepernick as our starter as I was with Smith last season, yes making to the NFCC and being 1 knee away from a SB(yes 1 play because had that first bad play not happened we would've have been in OT for the 2nd to happen) with Smith complicates things but I think we could at minimum make the playoffs again with Kaepernick as the QB.

Spot on. I don't really fault the FO if this happens. Tom Condon told Smith to wait for a better offer, so if Miami gives him a 4-year $40m contract, how can you fault the front office?
Originally posted by Kolohe:
C'mon man.

What?.. I follow the 49ers my man.
BTW looked him up, he only started 1 game last year?

19/36 and 2 Interceptions in that game.
[ Edited by JayDAche on Mar 18, 2012 at 10:07 AM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
lolz. Our QB DC if we F*** up so badly that Manning picks DEN/TEN and Alex goes to MIA

1. Kaepernick
2. Josh Johnson
3. Scott Tolzien

LOL

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JayDAche:
C'mon man.

What?.. I follow the 49ers my man.
BTW looked him up, he only started 1 game last year?
Look again.
Look again.

http://www.nfl.com/player/joshjohnson/264/profile
Games Active in 2011 - 9
Games Started in 2011 - 1
2011 Stats - 19/36 246 yds 2 Interceptions..
Those be some awful numbers for 4 starts
Games Active in 2011 - 9

Under 60 career QB rating. Awesome!
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Under 60 career QB rating. Awesome!

Meh, they are factoring the 0.0 into that...
It's more along the lines of 70ish..
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Look again.

Games Active in 2011 - 9

Mah bad, it wasn't 4 starts, it was 1 start in 2011!!!!! and 4 in 2009!!!!
Do not think hes ready.

I don't either but ...

... sometimes all you need is a chance. Look, I hope we get either Manning/Smith, but I didn't think TJ Yates was ready last season either, and he came in and did pretty well. Matt Flynn got a couple of chances and now he's looking for a big payday. You see it every season, stars come out of nowhere because they get the chance due to injuries, poor performance, etc.

What I always go back to is that it's Harbaugh's choice, he traded up for him, 9ers don't wanna give Smith a 5-year deal because they're grooming him, by all means their actions point to them having faith on Kaep, and they had to know Alex would eventually start fielding calls from other teams, I'm sure they were ready for this scenario. If they end up without both Manning/Smith, then I believe Harbaugh will crank up the coaching of the kid and he'll be ready.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
I don't either but ...

... sometimes all you need is a chance. Look, I hope we get either Manning/Smith, but I didn't think TJ Yates was ready last season either, and he came in and did pretty well. Matt Flynn got a couple of chances and now he's looking for a big payday. You see it every season, stars come out of nowhere because they get the chance due to injuries, poor performance, etc.

What I always go back to is that it's Harbaugh's choice, he traded up for him, 9ers don't wanna give Smith a 5-year deal because they're grooming him, by all means their actions point to them having faith on Kaep, and they had to know Alex would eventually start fielding calls from other teams, I'm sure they were ready for this scenario. If they end up without both Manning/Smith, then I believe Harbaugh will crank up the coaching of the kid and he'll be ready.

My exact thoughts.
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
This would be a disaster and would demonstrate a lack of foresight

Here's the worst of all assumptions..that people think we aren't signing Alex because we are sure Petyon is coming. They gave their offer to Alex weeks ago, before Harbaugh saw Peyton throw..and the Niners are the only team of the "final three" that Peyton hasn't visited. All this adds up to the fact that the offer they gave smith was for what they felt his market value was. They obviously felt comfortable moving forward with Kaep..and that there wouldn't be much of a drop off. You're thinking "who will groom Kaepernick into a starting QB?" How bout the guy who groomed Luck? All you kids can scream the sky is falling AGAIN this offseason..I'll look forward to hearing from you 4 or 5 games into next season. BTW..you are likely the same crowd who wanted to run Alex out of town before last year, and now you are better judges of QB talent than Harbaugh...too funny
Mah bad, it wasn't 4 starts, it was 1 start in 2011!!!!! and 4 in 2009!!!!

Hehehe, I got one up on you
But still, He's started 5 games total in his NFL Career.
Behind Josh Freeman who looked terrible last year.

If they didn't experiment with him in Tampa last year with that monstrosity of a season that they had...
Why would he be a good choice as our starter over CK?
Lol, now garrard is being mentioned.... Hmm. Since this is a Kaepernick thread, Kaep will be fine.
Lol, now garrard is being mentioned.... Hmm. Since this is a Kaepernick thread, Kaep will be fine.
He needs to sit behind the bench for two more years. In his 4th year, he will be ready IMO.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home