There are 313 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
lulz at people who say that Manning chokes in big games. When's the last time Brady won a Superbowl, 2004? Since then, he's been putting up big numbers but he isn't nearly as clutch as he once was; yet, no one talks about him choking....Take away the defense from Tom Brady starting from 2004, you have a great regular season quarterback who cannot win the big one any more. It's a team game!!!!! Brady benefited greatly on having a great Defense and good special teams play. Again, Tom Brady is one of the best of all-time but maybe the reason why Manning has choked because HE WAS THE TEAM. He carried that team squarely on his shoulders, unlike Brady, who had a very good team all around him. Again, to make my point, you take away Brushi, Seymour, Milloy, etc... from Brady, you have a GREAT individual quarterback who does not win the big one. He's 0-2 in superbowls since 2005.

Manning's numbers are not as good in the playoffs. Even in his one Superbowl run he really wasn't the reason the Colts won. Brady has played great in playoff games and runs. The reason the Pats haven't gotten back to the Superbowl isn't necessarily on him and more that Pitt was playing awesome that one year, brady got hurt another year, and his teammaters didnt' step up in others.
"The 49ers win it all," or "Peyton wins it all." Which headline would you prefer?

Alex is a 49er, Peyton isn't. He's a Colt. He's not one of us. I want a Super Bowl win that spreads glory among our whole awesome team and players that have been dedicated to the franchise, not a Super Bowl caliber team-wide performance that goes down as one of Peyton Manning's many accomplishments.

Gimme Alex and let's do it right this year.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
"The 49ers win it all," or "Peyton wins it all." Which headline would you prefer?

Alex is a 49er, Peyton isn't. He's a Colt. He's not one of us. I want a Super Bowl win that spreads glory among our whole awesome team and players that have been dedicated to the franchise, not a Super Bowl caliber team-wide performance that goes down as one of Peyton Manning's many accomplishments.

Yeah, that's a good point. Would hate for it to take away from guys like Willis, Gore, Sopoaga, Jennings, Lee, etc that have been here a long time and would have earned it. Winning it with Alex would be so much more fulfilling than with Manning because of what we have all been through together. If we did win it with Manning I would still be ecstatic but in a way it would feel like we didn't do it the right way but I guess a SB win is a SB win.

Although, it would be kind of cool to say we had Montana, Young and Manning play for us and at WR Rice, Moss and TO.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 18, 2012 at 5:13 AM ]
i just what is best for the 49ers-whether it's peyton or alex.
LOL @ fans worried that Manning will steal the spotlight from his teammates. The Niners have not had a decent qb in close to a decade and were worried that a future hall of fame qb might get too much credit???

After 780 votes....

Peyton 68%
Here are some pro's and con's of the two:

Peyton Manning
+ undoubtedly the greatest quarterback of the last 10-15 years.
+ Calling Manning "injury-prone" seems kind of silly, considering his durability rivaled that of Brett Favre before this neck injury. He had started what -- 208 games in a row up to that point? Maybe the neck injury will be re-aggravated, I don't know. But if he's cleared and there's not considered potential for relapse with the neck, I think calling him injury-prone is completely offbase.
- hasn't played in an entire year. That's kind of scary.
- probably going to command [i]huge[/i] money.

Alex Smith
+ less money, shorter commitment
+ yes, he was terrible against the Giants in the playoffs. However, a lot of that was due to the (lack of) separation of his receivers. We now have a completely revamped receiving corps.
+ first time in his career that he'll be under the same offensive coordinator two years in a row. You've got to expect improvement by virtue of consistency and familiarity.
- only threw 5 INT's last season. There's no way he'll repeat that. You've got to expect some regression in that regard. How much will be same scheme / new receivers offset this?
- doesn't have the ultra-high upside that Manning does

Personally, I'm okay with either choice. I really just hope we don't miss out on both.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Smith has flaws. Easy to understand people's frustration. I personally threw in the towel on him after I went to a road game in San Diego where we got killed and he generated no offense. He's too slow in seeing a play unfold. But the guy clearly turned a corner with Harbaugh last year. He looked MUCH better. I truthfully don't see an old, injured Manning being better. I can't believe someone comes back from a fusion of vertebrae in the neck. He probably doesn't even have a full range of motion with his neck anymore, for God's sake. Blind side hit much? And Peyton, unlike his brother, seems to choke in the high pressure games.

There's no probably about it. When you have vertebrae fused together, you definitely lose range of motion.

They are only fused to force the bone to realign properly. In actuality, he should have more movement now than when they were out of alignment.

That may be true. But he doesn't have more movement than he did before he was injured, which was our point. He is NOT the same Peyton Manning that everyone on here is voting for...
Originally posted by mustangmele:
All you guys quoted crack me up! I'm the one who started messing around teasing 49erJim about being a Raider fan and never having been to a game. You know why? Because he's not only my uncle but one of the biggest niner fans I've ever met. Who by the way is a season ticket holder and takes me to the games. I went with him to the Saints game and he did indeed go to the Giants game! He has nothing to prove to you guys. That's why he can have fun and joke around about never having been to a game. Most guys on this board are newbies compared to him. He used to walk to Kezar stadium people. Trust me, he's messing around with you guys half the time! But nobody was "pwned". That's just laughable.
Sorry dude, not buying it. Your uncle is not a smart man. I hope you have better influences in life, although judging by the smiley face you used it's looking like you will follow in his footsteps.
Originally posted by mug0mug:

PM is not a colt anymore, AS is in Misami looking for a job, just saying....
My money is that Peyton is going to Tennessee. C'mon now, he has the weapons in CJ28, Britt, Washington, and those TE's, he played his college ball in Tennessee and is revered and loved there, AND HE GETS TO PLAY THE COLTS TWICE A YEAR!!! I remembered before he got drafted, he told the Colts that, "if you don't draft me, I will be kicking your butt for the next 10-15 years" It doesn't look good.
All you guys quoted crack me up! I'm the one who started messing around teasing 49erJim about being a Raider fan and never having been to a game. You know why? Because he's not only my uncle but one of the biggest niner fans I've ever met. Who by the way is a season ticket holder and takes me to the games. I went with him to the Saints game and he did indeed go to the Giants game! He has nothing to prove to you guys. That's why he can have fun and joke around about never having been to a game. Most guys on this board are newbies compared to him. He used to walk to Kezar stadium people. Trust me, he's messing around with you guys half the time! But nobody was "pwned". That's just laughable.
Sorry dude, not buying it. Your uncle is not a smart man. I hope you have better influences in life, although judging by the smiley face you used it's looking like you will follow in his footsteps.

why you have to hate sooo much?
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
My money is that Peyton is going to Tennessee. C'mon now, he has the weapons in CJ28, Britt, Washington, and those TE's, he played his college ball in Tennessee and is revered and loved there, AND HE GETS TO PLAY THE COLTS TWICE A YEAR!!! I remembered before he got drafted, he told the Colts that, "if you don't draft me, I will be kicking your butt for the next 10-15 years" It doesn't look good.

The TE's that are so good they are refereed to as "those" lol. With the Texans being one of a few teams predicted to go to the super bowl next year, Manning is obviously making his decision based on money for the most part. The guy has make more money than any player in the history of the game. If he's not chasing the money and just wanting a super bowl, he would have signed here already. Greedy b*****d.
Originally posted by 49erJim:

Hey Jim, you been to a game lately?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erJim:

Hey Jim, you been to a game lately?

He does go to every game, though, hes actually gave me tickets and sat next to him....good times. Jim's a good guy, he just likes to have fun.