LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 438 users in the forums

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

• Jiks
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Smith told CBS5's Kim Coyle that reports he demanded a five-year contract are "completely false." In fact, Smith said he's happy with the three-year contract the 49ers offered, and that he's close to signing it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/12/alex-smith-says-hes-happy-with-49ers-offer-close-to-signing/

So what about Smith wanting more money? Keep making up your stories.

So Smith turned down the offer...because he wanted less money? What exactly are you trying to say?

Im trying to say Smith said he was happy with the deal 5 days ago and that he is "close to singing it". What happened to make Smith unhappy and not sign the deal? I think this is where Condon comes in and why Smith is looking for another agent. Something seems rather fishy here to me.

You are saying Smith turned down the offer, that he said he was happy to sign. DId he really turn down this offer or did Condon pull a fast one on him?
Im trying to say Smith said he was happy with the deal 5 days ago and that he is "close to singing it". What happened to make Smith unhappy and not sign the deal? I think this is where Condon comes in and why Smith is looking for another agent. Something seems rather fishy here to me.

You are saying Smith turned down the offer, that he said he was happy to sign. DId he really turn down this offer or did Condon pull a fast one on him?

That's something you're going to have to ask Smith, Condon and the FO. Guaranteed money? Incentives? Who knows. Or maybe he was full of it when he said he was "happy" with the deal. If he was indeed as happy as he claimed to be it would have never gotten to this point.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
Smith told CBS5's Kim Coyle that reports he demanded a five-year contract are "completely false." In fact, Smith said he's happy with the three-year contract the 49ers offered, and that he's close to signing it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/12/alex-smith-says-hes-happy-with-49ers-offer-close-to-signing/

So what about Smith wanting more money? Keep making up your stories.

So Smith turned down the offer...because he wanted less money? What exactly are you trying to say?

Logically I would assume that Condon is playing both sides here with Manning as his golden sale. There is obviously alot of money involved and Peyton's contract means more money for Condon because his percentage would be higher based on the higher salary. He strings A.Smith along telling him to hold out. Meanwhile Manning is doing his own shopping and the Niners are becoming more intersted because Smith has not signed right away. You do the math from here.
What do we think of Bill Walsh? Would he do this? No. No No No. He was always on the other end of this transaction. He dumped Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Tom Rathman, Roger Craig, and Keena Turner, among many other's that continued to play elsewhere, usually just because of age and not injury. Did any of those players win Super Bowls after leaving the 9ers? No. Walsh won 3 Super Bowls, and many of his players won two more after he left up to six years later. Do we want to shoot for a flash in the pan, or a perennial winner? An isolated Super Bowl win is nice, but a perennial power house is way better. You can't have both because of the cap hit. Your choice.
49erJim your intelligent input is extremely helpful here. Laughin smilies and fail signs really put valid facts into the conversations at hand.
So the the Alex clan is saying he waited to sign the deal he said he was happy with because he wanted less money?? O MY!
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
49erJim your intelligent input is extremely helpful here. Laughin smilies and fail signs really put valid facts into the conversations at hand.

SORRY, LOOK AT my other post. This thread from Alex Smith lovers is really making me LOL.
49erJim anyone who doesn't support the risk of signing Manning is a "Alex Lover" to you. Alex's willingness to accept the contract that was offered hit the news days before the news about Manning. The problem I have with all these threads created in the past 24 hours is they are dismissing Alex totally off of just an announcement that we tried manning out. Until his name is in ink on a contract its not guarenteed. On top of the dismissel of alex people aren't even really taking in the future consequences of signing manning. As if the locker room will be totally fine with it. Not true of course who wouldn't want to play with the great Peyton Manning, but who is going to trust a head coach who is willing to nationally praise you all season, how can you trust that he won't just can you also for a veteran who is on the decline and extremely fragile? That kind of disruption in the locker rook can really cause a team to implode.
But I guess that doesn't matter as long as alex is gone and the comfort of maybe manning can survive a full season and get us a super bowl makes you all feel better.

Originally posted by LoneWolf:
49erJim anyone who doesn't support the risk of signing Manning is a "Alex Lover" to you. Alex's willingness to accept the contract that was offered hit the news days before the news about Manning. The problem I have with all these threads created in the past 24 hours is they are dismissing Alex totally off of just an announcement that we tried manning out. Until his name is in ink on a contract its not guarenteed. On top of the dismissel of alex people aren't even really taking in the future consequences of signing manning. As if the locker room will be totally fine with it. Not true of course who wouldn't want to play with the great Peyton Manning, but who is going to trust a head coach who is willing to nationally praise you all season, how can you trust that he won't just can you also for a veteran who is on the decline and extremely fragile? That kind of disruption in the locker rook can really cause a team to implode.
at this point I would like to see both of them sign with the 49ers, that way Alex Smith can be the back up and sit for a few season under Manning. Its too late for all of this, and I don't hate Alex, I am just tried of watching his duck passes..
Honestly I'm not totally against that either just because alex wouldn't be as much of a toss up if Manning was injured then CK would be. But honestly alex deserves to be a starter. And I think manning should be thinking more about a future in coaching QB's then QBing in the NFL because he isn't even going to be able to remain healthy for the 5 seasons he wants to be signed.
Am I the only who think Alex seems to be getting the shaft again?
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Am I the only who think Alex seems to be getting the shaft again?

not if he was offered a contract over a week ago and didn't sign it
Originally posted by BOI49er:
What do we think of Bill Walsh? Would he do this? No. No No No. He was always on the other end of this transaction. He dumped Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Tom Rathman, Roger Craig, and Keena Turner, among many other's that continued to play elsewhere, usually just because of age and not injury. Did any of those players win Super Bowls after leaving the 9ers? No. Walsh won 3 Super Bowls, and many of his players won two more after he left up to six years later. Do we want to shoot for a flash in the pan, or a perennial winner? An isolated Super Bowl win is nice, but a perennial power house is way better. You can't have both because of the cap hit. Your choice.

Very speculative and a total guess on your part what Walsh would do. I could throw a counter speculation that Walsh would have cut Smith years ago, and it wouldn't even be coming down to this discussion of choosing him over an older veteran Superbvowl winning QB. But all this is more fantasy football discussion than what is happening now with the 49ers.
Share 49ersWebzone