If You Were Smith.........

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by okdkid:
He should take the deal because nobody else is gonna give him that.

He has no leverage.

ok, man. take a look around.

You only have leverage if another team will pay you more.

Seahawks, Browns, Dolphins, jags, are all looking for QBs and arnt in position to get one in the draft, tell me which FA QB is a better option.

Browns will probably draft Tannehill

Dolphins will get Manning

Jags are already invested in Gabbert "Alex Jr"

Seahawks are the only other choice but they are not gonna over pay for a mediocre QB.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

Seahawks are the only other choice but they are not gonna over pay for a mediocre QB.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

I also give lotto numbers for $19.99.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran

He has no leverage.

First of all, you don't know another team won't. Just look at every QB transaction over the past 2 years. Teams go nuts.

Second of all, that's not true. Being offered more isn't the sole source of leverage. The Niners need a starting veteran QB signed by the start of FA. How could they reasonably expect to attract Wallace, Jackson or even Garcon with a guy who has never started before? Manning and Flynn aren't happening. We all should come to terms with that.

So, that means Alex has some leverage.

When you look at both sides of this Smith has far more leverage than the 9ers do. Smith has recent history, a very good season, teams over paying (or paying what he wants) for average QBs... and the most important leverage he has is the 49ers QB spot on the roster and how that is going to affect FA and the niners future.

Smith are you willing to test free agency to see if someone will pay you what Sanchez or Fitzpatrick or Kolb just got and if not settle for what the 9ers are offering?
YES

9ers are you willing to part with the QB that lead your team to the NFC Championship and go into free agency with Kaep and Tolzien as your QB's hoping to now attract both a top FA WR and a FA QB or settle for two second year players with no experience to lead your team next year?
NO
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boomer49er:

He has no leverage.

Seahawks, Browns, Dolphins, jags, are all looking for QBs and arnt in position to get one in the draft, tell me which FA QB is a better option.

ha ha... you think Carrol would like to b***h slap Harbaugh with that move... Seriously, think about that. There are a lot of reasons the Seahawks would like to sign Smith. Plus Tavaris Jackson signed a 2 year 8 million deal last year and is the only QB under contract.
I could see Alex signing a shorter contract and demanding more money....but if he performs well then the 9ers could experience a Garcia v2 situation.
Yo Tom,

Did you see what Mark Sanchez just got? Are you kidding me! What the heck have you been doing? I am stuck at a 3 year 24 million, 8 million guaranteed and this lazy bum is getting a 3 year 40 million dollar extension. You know what, alright. You tell Baalke that I am increasing my demands from 6 years 100 million dollars all of it guaranteed to 6 years 100 million dollars all of it guaranteed and some hand delivered Cambodian breast milk from a Cambodian immigrant in the Bronx. He has 3 days to deliver. You tell Baalke that while he is carrying that Cambodian breast milk to bring to me, you tell him to think about this. Him carrying Cambodian breast milk from the Bronx is like how I carried this team to a victory over the NY Giants in the regular season, yeah, and almost carried the team to a victory over them in the playoffs if not for that schmuck, Kyle Williams. God damn*t Tom, don't you get it! I am the f****ng best. I took a picture of myself and made a copy of it for you. Attach one of them to the letter you are sending Baalke. Maybe then he will understand who he is dealing with. The other one is for you to hang up on your desk, so that you don't step out of line, lest you feel the wrath of my power.

p.s. Don't even think about putting Peyton Manning''s negotiations before mine or I'll do a discount double checkdown on your *ss.

Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
I would be honored to be Peyton Manning's back up.

So you would answer yes to Harbaugh's question to Smith earlier in the year; if you want to be the guy that wears the cap backward on the sideline. Not that you are capable of beating out Manning with a detached neck
Scenario 1:

"O HAI
can I have my money plz kthxbai"

Scenario 2:

"O HAI
have you met my friend Peyton?"

Scenario 3:

"O HAI......"

Smith would just get fed up and go Super Saiyan

[ Edited by defenderDX on Mar 10, 2012 at 12:34 PM ]
  • vaden
  • Veteran
I would not want a 1-year deal in a sport that could paralyze me. Of course it's all about guaranteed money, but they're not going to give much in a 1-year deal. Only being willing to offer far less than market value, than bums like Sanchez, Kolb and Fitzpatrick have gotten, is an insult and Alex would look weak and desperate signing that. Gotta hit FA and see what other teams offer.

I would accept the 3 year deal, but almost 100% guarnateed money. 3 years 28 million with 24 million guaranteed. This is if I was Alex, not what they should do.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

He has no leverage.

First of all, you don't know another team won't. Just look at every QB transaction over the past 2 years. Teams go nuts.

Second of all, that's not true. Being offered more isn't the sole source of leverage. The Niners need a starting veteran QB signed by the start of FA. How could they reasonably expect to attract Wallace, Jackson or even Garcon with a guy who has never started before? Manning and Flynn aren't happening. We all should come to terms with that.

So, that means Alex has some leverage.

Obviously Baalke doesn't see it your way.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

Just because Baalke doesn't agree doesn't mean Alex has zero leverage. If Alex had "zero leverage", Baalke would offer him a 1 year min deal. So, obviously Alex has some leverage.
  • fly15
  • Veteran

• vaden
  • Veteran

Just because Baalke doesn't agree doesn't mean Alex has zero leverage. If Alex had "zero leverage", Baalke would offer him a 1 year min deal. So, obviously Alex has some leverage.

And as you said, he'll have a lot more once he hits FA and Baalke is trying to sign WRs but can't tell them they won't be playing for a scrub.
Share 49ersWebzone